- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Does the Brand Matter Anymore?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does the Brand Matter Anymore?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-06-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking (dangerous I know) that there are so many similar ships these days which transcend ‘brands’ (i.e. Vista and Grand class). Therefore does it really make much difference if I cruise with Princess (Grand Class) or P&O’s ‘Ventura’? Is there really much difference beteen the on board experience of Cunard’s ‘Queen Victoria’ and P&O’s ‘Arcadiia’. How about ‘Carnival’, ‘Holland America’ and ‘Costa’?

Should we just pick the best fare on offer and totally disregard the brands as all cruise experiences are pretty similar anyway?

[ 01-06-2009: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 01-06-2009 08:26 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As many lines are moving towards a common platform I would think that Brands are all that is left to a large extent that differentiates between them.

One has to acknowledge that a Cunard cruise on QV is very different to Carnival Spirit or Costa money (I mean Atlantica) cruise albeit the platforms are similarish.

Not fair to compare Cunard QV to say Arcadia - P&O are trying to be something of everything to everyone and is thus similar to everything and everyone - once they decide to regain an identity ................

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 01-06-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe Mike's thoughts are accurate but I also think the answer to your question depends on your expectations of a cruise. If you go to enjoy the ship and itinerary, which is becoming identical these days betqween brands then it probably doesn't matter too much. If you get a lot out of the service and entertainment aspects then it probably does matter which brand.
Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 01-06-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Branding does remain important. Most people choose to cruise with a brand. Most of them would not know that a similar or identical design exists within another fleet and probably wouldn't care.

It is the branding that determines whether customers are attracted to Cunard or Costa etc. People cruise on QV because they want the experience Cunard offers. Even if they know that both operate Vista class ships they are attracted by the Cunard experience or Costa experience. They understand these are different and the experience is not determined by the ship's basic design.

For an example of how branding and "soft" features determine impressions rather than basic design you have to look no further than the airline industry. Most airlines operate basically the same Boeing or Airbus products only but everyone knows that the experience on a Singapore Airlines 747 is different from a United Airlines 747 from a Qantas 747.

Brad

Posts: 343 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-06-2009 07:44 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that "branding" is still very important, even if perception is the majority of branding in this day and age. The fact is most major cruise lines are simply not that different from one another. "Branding" is about all the remains to differentiate some of the lines. The public perceives the lines as being vastly different, and really that is all that matters.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-06-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It might be more important than one thinks. A vacation is a very subjective experience and being in the right mood and having the right attitude is very important. The brands communicate what the 'product' is about or what it is supposed to be about and in case of a (cruise) vacation it could become a self full-filling prophecy since those people who expect certain things will book the corresponding cruise line. e.g. people who like to dress formally will book a 'formal' line which on the other hand actually makes the cruise a more formal experience. To put it more bluntly: It's all about fooling oneself.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 01-06-2009 08:43 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the brand is of great importance!! Some cruise lines attract a demographic that is vastly different than another. For example, the folks on a Carnival vista ship are significantly different than those on a Holland America vista vessel. For various reasons, (others making decisions!!!) I have been on brands that I simply do not fit into comfortably, and others on which I feel perfectly at home. So to me, the brand is indeed important.
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-07-2009 01:47 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The brand is extremely important. Passengers tend to pick the biggest or best ship to go on but will not hesitate to book a cruise on a ship that they do not like if it is with their favourite company on an itinerary too good to turn down.

Aurora and Oriana are traditionally P&O and are examples of what P&O always have been in the past. Ships like Arcadia and Ventura ended up with P&O by accident/default due to being part of Carnival and having the ability to transfer ships.

Princess has managed to stay as Princess and has Princess type ships and does not have ships desigend for other lines as does HAL and Carnival.

P&O is the only line to have ships desigend for P&O, Princess and HAL and somehow has a problem fitting them in to their style. Cunard appear to be following the same trend. Costa is another line that has Carnival ships and HAL ships.

I feel having the same ships in different brands will probably keep people loyal to their one brand. Once they have been on a Grand class Princess ship what would be the point of going Ventura. What reason would HAL passengers have for trying QV when they like their own line and have the same ships.

Having the same ships may be good for crew and easy to transfer them around, but as a passenger you will get sick of the same ship all the time and seeing other brands with the same ship it is less of an insentive to try other brands.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mattsudds
First Class Passenger
Member # 4324

posted 01-07-2009 05:49 AM      Profile for Mattsudds     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with those points about Brand being to a certain extent in the eye of the beholder. There are different strengths of the major brands, but as they all raise their game, the differences become less. You no longer need to go on a premium brand for a decent dinner for instance. Most of the ships are similar multi brand platforms. The cabins are all made in a factory in Italy, Germany or Finland. First time cruisers must have a tough time choosing because despite what we think, I'd suggest that the branding for most lines isn't that strong. Carnival = Fun, RCI = Activities on the ship, NCL = Freestyle. Those might have permeated but does average Joe know any of the other selling points.

How much would people know that one of the best things about Cunard is the onboard lecture programme.

All that said, I think that some of the differences are exaggerated. For instance, in terms of onboard service, I don't see that big a differnce between P&O and Cunard, or Princess and P&O. Not to say their aren't differences just they are not that big.

Posts: 80 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-07-2009 05:49 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O.K points taken...but in reality how different is Carnival, HAL, Princess, and Cunard (basic grade) food? How different are the levels of service? How different is the entertainment? How about the accomosation?

Are Costa very Italian in terms of the overall experience? Is P&O very British?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 01-07-2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once again, there are significant differences, in mnay aspects of the onboard product. For example, Princess spends much more per day per passenger on entertainment than Holland America does, with significantly better comedians coming aboard for just a few days rather than a complete circuit. On the other hand HAL has a huge budget for fresh flowers while on Princess you have to search for such things. Fresh sqeezed OJ on HAL and pre packaged OJ on Princess. Carnival has a much stonger focus on getting passengers to spend $$$ than Princess and HAL. Loud "passenger involment" (and inexpensive) activities are non stop on some, and almost non existant on others.
The immediate neighbour of a friend is a veteran chef (still working) with Princess, coming up from the Sitmar ranks. He has done short stints on QM2, Aurora, Carnival and Costa vessels as well. He says the food budgets are all different. Some brands use a lot of canned rather than fresh fruit. Some have precut Grade A boxed meat come aboard, on others AAA meat is trimmed and portioned on board. Mild seasoning in sauces on one, while spicier on another. He says there are indeed differences geared towards their fare level and demographics. As for the difference between P & O and Cunard he says it is simple: Cunard is British cruising for North Americans, while P & O is British cruising for Brits and Aussies. Of the two I prefer P & O so perhaps Canadians are a good fit as well!!

[ 01-07-2009: Message edited by: Grant ]

Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-08-2009 02:21 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With regards to P&O and Princess I have always found P&O to be far more superior in service than Princess.

In dining P&O has more waiters for your table and they strictly work in pairs serving your table both at the same time. They remember your name and get to know your eating habbits and what you like. P&O offers silver service which is far more personalised and you also find your water is topped up regularly and the waiters will engage you in conversation but are not too intrusive. Its a perfect balance.

In comparison Princess does not offer silver service. The waiters hardly know you and often make mistakes with the meals and who ordered it. Hardly any conversation. The waiters have more tables to look after hence a slower service and simple things are overlooked like the topping up of water. On Princess you find bred already on the table to take yourself where as P&O waiters place it on your plate from a hot tray. Princess has ornaments of men who just stand in the restaurant and look pretty. On P&O they are called head waiters and walk around each table introducing themselved and making sure the dining service is up to standard.

The food itself is very comparable.

I also find P&O cabin stewards far more professional and personalised. They will get to know you and talk to you and learn your habbits. They do turn down when you are at dinner and often ask if their is anything they can do or if you need anything. The cabin is always clean and well presented.

On Princess the cabin stewards are impatiend, do not often talk to you. They will not hesitate to knock on your cabin door when they want to do turn down service and have no hesitation of cleaning the cabin with you in it. They will often try to do turn down as early as possible and leave a dirty bathroom to be cleaned the next morning. On P&O you do not get lousy service like this and the cabin is always done while you are at dinner and they never force you out or tell you when they will do your cabin.

On the Entertainment side P&O has almost double the Entertainments Officers and cruise staff than the largest Princess ship has. There is always an entertainments officer hosting an event or welcoming you to the theatre or show lounge on P&O. On Princess they are few and far between and you might be lucky if you come accross one.

P&O ships are also different to Princess ships. The originals like Oriana and Aurora have standard bathrooms that are twice the size of the standard bathrooms on Princess ships. P&O has much more cupboard space. Princess cabins are larger. All the Sun class ships cabins are smaller than P&O's Aurora and Oriana.

There are more events on P&O ships. The Princess patter is often congested in format where as the Aurora or Oriana Today equivelant is far more reader friendly with a clearer format.

Personally I like the Grand class pool and recreation areas better than that is on Aurora and Oriana. Princess has better gym's. The pizzeria on Princess is excellent and P&O does not have anything to match. The outdoor grills on Princess are far more superior to what P&O has on offer. The drink prices on Princess are far more reasonable than P&O. Princess has a drink fountain program where you pay $30 for unlimited softdrink refills throughout the cruise, this is good when you mix spirits with soft drinks you only have to pay for the alcohol. P&O does not offer this service. Princess has larger duty free shops. P&O shops are smaller with less duty free goods.

Personally I like Princess for lazing about by the pool or using the gym and eating facilities on deck as well as drink prices. However P&O have a much higher standard of service which is far superior to what Princess has to offer.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-08-2009 06:39 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
Princess has ornaments of men who just stand in the restaurant and look pretty.

That made me laugh out loud!

ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 01-08-2009 06:57 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Expectations are what make or break a cruise vacation. I've sailed on an upmarket line and come away disappointed - also sailed on a very budget outfit and had a fantastic time.

Branding creates expectations - if the cruise exceeds your expectations, it has been successful. Otherwise not!

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 01-08-2009 07:46 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In view of the fact that the average passenger cannot remember what SHIP they are on brands remain vital.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
NWLB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1987

posted 01-08-2009 12:02 PM      Profile for NWLB   Author's Homepage   Email NWLB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
In view of the fact that the average passenger cannot remember what SHIP they are on brands remain vital.

Indeed, the brand is key, the ships are really what is becoming generic, but only within brands.

Posts: 329 | From: Bowling Green, Ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-09-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would really like to know where these statistics are coming from that claim passengers cant remember the names of the ships they have been on. I have met passengers who have remembered the names of ships they have travelled on 30 years and more in the past. I have never met one passenger on a cruise ship that could not remember the names of other ships they had been on. I have also been to local travel expos for cruises and speaking to people cannot recall anyone not remembering the name of the ship they have been on.

As for brands I recon that P&O Princess cruises could have survived without the Carnival merger. Princess was an expanding company getting new ships up to 2003 and still had new ships on order when the merger took place. P&O UK had under its control Princess, Ocean Village, P&O Australia, Swan Helenic and appeared to be doing quite well. Until the merger with Carnival P&O and Princess were the only lines people knew of in Australia and it was unheard of to travel Carnival, Costa. Cunard and HAL did have a small following.

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 01-09-2009 11:43 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I first started cruising in the 80's, you could tell the difference in the cruise lines. You always knew that Holland America and Cunard were the upper crust lines. Carnival of course the 'Fun Ships'.
Costa was very Italian, the ships were DEFINITELY different. The ships of the 70's-mid 80's were much better classed, no cookie cutters until we started seeing all of those Spanish Galleon shaped sterns and horrible looking bows. Nothing resembles a cruise ship, it's all about flash and glitz. I still think the older ships and the way the lines were run in the 80's when I started cruising were far better than what is available now. There's just too much of everything and how much more can they cram on a ship??

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 01-09-2009 11:44 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would really like to know where these statistics are coming from that claim passengers cant remember the names of the ships they have been on.

Who mentioned any statistics?

quote:

[...] I have never met one passenger on a cruise ship that could not remember the names of other ships they had been on.[...]

My experience is the opposite - I even met passengers who did not know the name of the ship they were aboard at that time.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-10-2009 01:52 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mentioned statistics because people claim that the majority of passengers dont know the name of ships they are sailing on. It would be good to see an official poll taken just to see.

Southampton taxi drivers seem to know the names of all the ships in and what has been in and what is coming.

I would suggest that passengers travelling on luxury ships would certainly know the name of the ship they are on. Is it possible to go on Crystal Serenity and find a passenger who does not know what ship they are on. How embarrassed would you be to cruise on the QM2 in Grill class and announce at dinner "I dont know what ship I am on" Its a wonder people like that know what day it is and it is even more suprosing they have managed to make their way to the port on the date they are sailing.

If people are checking into a cruise and there are ten ships in that day how do they know which ship to get the taxi to?

Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 01-10-2009 10:54 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About 10 years ago, very early one morning on HAL's Veendam, I listened to two men argue about whether we were bound for Guatemala or Gaudaloupe, whether we were in the Caribbean or Pacific and how conditions on the ship would surely deteriorate if HAL were bought out out by Carnival - at which point I told them they were already on a Carnival-owned ship and, stupidly, spoiled their morning. No, I do not have a clue how they made it to Ft Lauderdale and the pier. The next morning they were happily arguing about something else with about the same knowledge. It takes all kinds and they help keep the prices competitive.
Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 01-14-2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back to my comparison between P&O and Princess because of my opinion that P&O offeres better service that is why I change tipping to suit myself. I will tip P&O staff more and cancell automatic tipping on Princess and tip less as their standards have never met that of what I am used to with P&O. Normally I have tipped P&O staff twice as much as what is recommended in the guides.

As for branding P&O has always been a good line and Aurora and Oriana are typical of what P&O is through and through. It is only since this merger with Carnival has P&O started to meddle in markets of passengers that they are not used to. P&O have always had attractive ships even back to the days of Canberra - Oriana and Aurora are an evolution of Canberra's design. Ventura is something you would expect to see with Princess. The majority of Princess early ships were all aquasitions from Sitmar cruises that P&O took over.

BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 01-28-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I haven't been on either HAL or Costa (I was truly hoping to get on HAL up until this past year's personal issues, which I'm afraid aren't going away anytime soon), I would have to think that the HAL experience is very different from the Carnival experience, at least in terms of the atmosphere on board. The food is probably becoming standardized across all of the Carnival brands, so I'm thinking that's not even debatable. I went on the Triumph years ago, and thought the food surprisingly good, far better than I expected. And on my last cruise in '07 on the Caribbean Princess, it was very good, but not vastly better than on the Triumph. I did notice that the service on the Triumph was a bit superior to that on the Caribbean Princess, though. I think it's very hard to find enough people of the right mindset for such jobs where the service levels could be maintained consistently now, with all these cattle-cars on the high seas.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.