- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Award-winning actress and performer Hannah Waddingham will serve the time-honored, maritime tradition as the official Godmother of Princess Cruises' newest "Love Boat" Sun Princess. The star-studded naming ceremony will take place at the Port of Barcelona on April 23, 2024. Waddingham joins an esteemed group who have served as Godparent to Princess ships: Diana, Princess of Wales (Royal Princess, 1984)...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. today unveiled the most comprehensive new build order in its history—a total of eight state-of-the-art vessels, representing nearly 25,000 additional berths, with new classes of ships for each of its three award-winning brands—and the construction of a multi-ship pier at Great Stirrup Cay, the Company’s private island destination...

Latest News...MSC Cruises and Chantiers de l'Atlantique marked two important milestones today in the construction of the innovative World Class ships, MSC World America and MSC World Asia, during a press conference at Seatrade Cruise Global in Miami. MSC World America celebrated a major milestone with the completion of its float out ceremony at the shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France on Sunday, April 7, 2024...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Oasis of the Seas Lifeboat Prototype (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Oasis of the Seas Lifeboat Prototype
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-02-2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Searching through the Schat-Harding website I found some pictures of what could be the lifeboat for Oasis. It is a Schat-Harding CRW55 cruise tender that is able to accommodate 370 people. The CAD rendering show the way the tender is lowered, there's also images of a finalized CRW55 on sea trials.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 08-02-2008 01:02 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Externally doesn't look big enough for 370 pax - sardines ?

What are the tables for - an alternative restaurant ?

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 08-02-2008 01:33 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great findings Carlos. These could very well be for OASIS and ALLURE. I am curious to know if these will act as both tender boats and lifeboats. They look too spacious for lifeboats, but too bare to be tender boats.

Anyhow, the illustrations give a good idea how the boats will be stowed.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-02-2008 02:32 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you know what the dementions are in feet by any chance?
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-02-2008 06:26 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How long does it take to load 370 people into one lifeboat? Too long imho. In a real emergency people are not going to follow like sheep and may not act rationally. One person in a major panic will hold up the rest.. better having 2 x 185 seaters.. or better still none, rafts and chutes & free fall lifeboats. Launching one of those things with a listing ship may be impossible.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 08-02-2008 06:43 AM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
370? damn! that is a small cruise ship
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 08-02-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
Do you know what the dementions are in feet by any chance?

I'm going to hazzard a guess with the designation CRW55 that it's 55 feet long and if that's the case proportionally about 18 feet wide. Now I can't wait to see how close I am

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-02-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
Externally doesn't look big enough for 370 pax - sardines ?

What are the tables for - an alternative restaurant ?

These 'tables' are very likely seats for two persons. (back to back) I am not sure what the different symbols mean, but I would guess that every orange rhombus each of these black symbols and maybe even the green squares are markers for a seat - so yes, if the boat is full it will be like sardines. Of course, most other lifeboats are like that when they are filled up - see here for comparison - the interior of a lifeboat can be seen at the end of the clip.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-02-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
How long does it take to load 370 people into one lifeboat?

If they announce in an emergency that each lifeboat has an 'inch of gold' sale on board, about 2 minutes I guess?

[ 08-02-2008: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-02-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The interior photo was taken before fitting the interior, so it will look a bit more comfortable. I do think the code CRW55 will stand for the length of the boat which should be 55'. Evacuation time should be quick since the boat has two entrances instead of only one, also people walk directly into it and do not have to wait for the time it takes to lower the boat one deck into position.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-02-2008 02:57 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Fernandez:
Evacuation time should be quick since the boat has two entrances instead of only one, also people walk directly into it and do not have to wait for the time it takes to lower the boat one deck into position.

Excellent points Carlos. It wouldn't surprise me if OASIS could be evacuated in less time than a typical cruise ship. The fact that boats are loaded in position from two entryways should really make a difference. We don't know what the staging area will be like, but I'm sure it will be designed to be quite efficient.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-02-2008 03:33 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....I think that you will find such a big ship is unsinkable!
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-02-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Herding 370 people into one small boat takes time however many entrances; each person has to be seated, in order, not where they feel like & a blockage can occur at the door. The opposite to an aircraft where one is pulled off the end of the chute and told to run for it anywhere.

Then there is the problem of seasickness too; doesn't bear thinking about. Just hope they are never put into practise and only ever used as tenders, she'll need a lot and rather claustrophobic ones too.

But as Malcom says, she's unsinkable

Pam.. in just the same frenzy re booking as I was with Indy & Freedom

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-02-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Herding 370 people into one small boat takes time however many entrances; each person has to be seated, in order, not where they feel like & a blockage can occur at the door. The opposite to an aircraft where one is pulled off the end of the chute and told to run for it anywhere.

Then there is the problem of seasickness too; doesn't bear thinking about. Just hope they are never put into practise and only ever used as tenders, she'll need a lot and rather claustrophobic ones too.

But as Malcom says, she's unsinkable

Pam.. in just the same frenzy re booking as I was with Indy & Freedom

As I mentioned earlier, the staging area will be very important. I'm certain all these boats will have fairly large staging areas where people can be organized prior to entering the boats. There may even be a staff member on each boat during an evacuation to direct seating, and this person would stay with the boat after launching.

As for seasickness, that is a constant with any ship, not just OASIS.

The fact that the boats on OASIS are loaded in position should greatly help with the speed of an evacuation.

Also, I don't think any of these boats will ever be used as tenders. In fact none of the Voyager/Freedom Class ships carry tenders to my knowledge. The boats are used only for evacuation purposes. Royal Caribbean must hire out a tender service in any port that requires tenders for this class of ship. I guess they decided this would be easier than carrying their own, and I suppose they have overcome the logistical challenges. Basically these ships can't call at a tender port that doesn't offer their own tender service. Royal Caribbean is taking measures to ensure that passengers on OASIS will never have to tender, at least while the ship is performing it's normal Caribbean run. The infrastructure at every Caribbean port OASIS will call at is being prepared to handle this new class of ship. If the ship ever ventures to Europe which someday may be a possibility, I would imagine only docking ports will be utilized.

As a former flight attendant who had to evacuate many planes during drills in a specific amount of time, I can tell you a big issue is no staging area. Basically people will tramp over each other in an evacuation and there are usually many injuries from the slides. There is no official person at the bottom of the slide to assist people so you hope two passengers will assist but there is no guarantee. I did have to evacuate one airplane in real life, an L1011 in Atlanta due to smoke in the cabin. Even though the situation was not life threatening, people panicked and there were many injuries because of the slides and people shoving.

Personally I would take my chances having to evacuate on a ship like OASIS over the new Airbus any day! I hope neither ever happens.

Ernie

DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 08-02-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since these lifeboats are bigger they should be less prone to sea sickness and claustrophobia. I wonder what it looks like up stairs. Would they make it an advanced setup or leave it a simple navigation system?
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 08-02-2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During one of the crew drills onboard the PRIDE OF AMERICA, we tried to load a lifeboat at embarkation level. We simulated an abandon ship drill and loaded 50 crew members. An assembly station closed by the lifeboats was chosen and from the time lifejackets was distributed to getting them in the boat took around 8 minutes. There was a slight confusion during the loading process since the crew members acting as passengers are not involved with the operation of the lifeboats.

I would guess with panic added to confusion between crew members and passengers, it will take longer. Since there will be two entrances on these enlarged lifeboats, the time required from loading the first lifeboats to the last lifeboat lowered should be the same whether there are 18 370-passengers boats or 36 150-passengers lifeboats.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-02-2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

[...]
As for seasickness, that is a constant with any ship, not just OASIS.

The fact that the boats on OASIS are loaded in position should greatly help with the speed of an evacuation.

It is certainly helpful that the boats can be boarded immediately but it's not that on can just walk aboard since the floor is not level. Lifeboats in general are not considered to be up-to-date technology by many and I guess that's want Pam meant with her comment and not only the boats of Oasis. Nevertheless, I am sure RCI did a lot of research on this topic especially since Oasis is such a large ship and many people voiced their concern about how large passenger ships can be evacuated even before a ship like Oasis has been considered.

quote:

Also, I don't think any of these boats will ever be used as tenders. [...]

These boats are of course not at all intended nor even remotely suitable to be uses as a tender.

[...]

quote:

Personally I would take my chances having to evacuate on a ship like OASIS over the new Airbus any day! I hope neither ever happens.

Ernie

See this video clip of an A380 evacuation test. Of course, nothing compared to a real emergency like you went trough.

[ 08-02-2008: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-03-2008 05:30 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Re the sea sickness I was referring to the knock on effect. One person being sick, can make the next and so on. Even if you are not someone prone to seasickness, being in such close confinement can have dire consequences. 12 people in an open lifeboat, you hang over the edge [see Explorer] - 370 squashed in an enclosed area doesn't bear thinking about.

One of the first items on the 'list of things to do' when evacuated in a lifeboat, is to hand out the seasickness pills.

Pam

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 08-03-2008 06:59 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I certainly would not risk my life on the chances of boarding a lifeboat with that many people in an emergency. I would take matters into my own hands and make my own escape. Im a capable swimmer and physically fit. Can run 4km in 20 minutes and recon I would be fit enough to swim the English Channel.

Have you seen how long it takes some passengers to get to dinner!

We are not talking about elite athletes on a cruise ship. Some are crippled and in wheelchairs. Surely this would block and consume time getting passengers in.

I would sincirely hope that cruise lines do not calculate to expect fatalities in the passageways will make it quicker to load these boats with remaining passengers in a real emergency.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-03-2008 07:18 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Re the sea sickness I was referring to the knock on effect. One person being sick, can make the next and so on. Even if you are not someone prone to seasickness, being in such close confinement can have dire consequences. 12 people in an open lifeboat, you hang over the edge [see Explorer] - 370 squashed in an enclosed area doesn't bear thinking about.

One of the first items on the 'list of things to do' when evacuated in a lifeboat, is to hand out the seasickness pills.

Pam

Very few ships are going to have 12 people in a lifeboat. In most cases it will be more like 150 crammed in, maybe even in less space than the 370 on OASIS. Maybe we need to look at the space ratios of the lifeboats! Also, all modern lifeboats are required to be enclosed. The days of leaning over the side are over, unless you are on an older ship. All this is really a mute point anyway, as the chances of any of us ending up in a lifeboat are pretty slim. Plenty of other more pertinent things to worry about!

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-03-2008 07:23 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Nevertheless, I am sure RCI did a lot of research on this topic especially since Oasis is such a large ship and many people voiced their concern about how large passenger ships can be evacuated even before a ship like Oasis has been considered.

Of this there is no doubt. To my knowledge OASIS will be the first passenger ship where the 150 lifeboat limit has been challenged and rule amended. No doubt RCI had to work closely with the various maritime agencies and insurance companies to have this rule waived, and in doing so prove their evacuation plan is probably superior to what is already out there. Personally I think it's pretty ground breaking (we always like to talk about true innovation) and perhaps in the future we will see even smaller cruise ships adopt this life saving scheme?

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-03-2008 07:25 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the ship was going down I think there would be plenty of vomiting due to fear and panic etc.

The space ratio of a lifeboat would be my last consideration as long as one of those 370 seats had my name on it!

[ 08-03-2008: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-03-2008 07:27 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

See this video clip of an A380 evacuation test. Of course, nothing compared to a real emergency like you went trough.

Yes, simulated emergencies are nothing like the real thing. In real emergencies things don't go like clockwork and people don't wait patiently to evacuate in a nice line. Also there could be structural damage to complicate things and of course not everyone is single, young, and able bodied such as those in the video.

Ernie

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-03-2008 08:12 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Very few ships are going to have 12 people in a lifeboat. In most cases it will be more like 150 crammed in, maybe even in less space than the 370 on OASIS.

Of course, I was merely pointing out extremes, but whatever room each person has, imho, 370 persons all in one lifeboat is far too many. Obviously the majority of TPTB disagree; so just hope they never have to be used & are just dangling ornaments.

Pam

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-03-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of course, I was merely pointing out extremes, but whatever room each person has, imho, 370 persons all in one lifeboat is far too many. Obviously the majority of TPTB disagree; so just hope they never have to be used & are just dangling ornaments.

Pam

150 or 370 in a small, temporary confined space really makes no difference to me. Fact is I will likely never have to worry about it, nor will it have any bearing on which ships I choose to sail on.

Ernie

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.