- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS - Better late than never!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS - Better late than never!
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-18-2007 10:02 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've had the desire to sail on SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS ever since she made her spectacular debut in 1988. I finally had the chance last weekend. When SOVEREIGN first sailed into Miami almost 20 years ago she was considered revolutionary. She was not only the largest ship in the world at her introduction, she influenced design trends in the cruise industry that continue even today. Back in her heyday, getting a reservation could prove to be a difficult task. These days it's much easier and you can enjoy a short sailing on SOS for a very reasonable fare. Don't procrastinate though, as SOS will leave the Royal Caribbean fleet in 2008. She will start her second career with RCI's Spanish brand Pullmantur.

So what is it like sailing sailing on somewhat of a legend that has faded out of the limelight? Well I can tell you better then I expected. Overall SOVEREIGN has held up very well, and Royal Caribbean has spent a good deal of money to keep her up to date and current. Of course no matter how much make-up you apply to a legendary lady, the wrinkles will always make themselves known and SOVEREIGN is no exception. Rather then write a full review, let me share some observations, comments, and tidbits about the ship and cruise.

- the cabin was larger than I expected (but still very small). I was on Deck 8, cabin 8048 which was an obstructed view. There was really no obstruction. Book this cabin if you can.

- the bathroom was much larger then other ships, such as the Sun Class with Princess and NORWEGIAN MAJESTY for instance. You could actually sit on the john without hitting your knees on the door! I guess I expected it to be super small, but I've been in smaller!

- the exterior of SOVEREIGN is absolutely stunning. To this day she remains one of the best looking modern ships afloat. In the top five for certain.

- the two areas that look the most modern are Boleros and the Windjammer Cafe. They could easily pass on a much newer ship.

- I don't think SOVEREIGN has ever strayed from the Bahamas and the Caribbean in her 20 year career.

- the ship has amazingly large stair landings and foyers. I don't think new ships would be designed with such expansive spaces on every deck.

- food and service were very good, better than expected for a short 3-day cruise.

- the Officers, crew, and Staff are well aware this "old lady" is leaving the fleet, and they seem very proud of the ship and to serve on her.

- there was one Production Show and I thought it was pretty well done. Not bad at all for a three day cruise. The showlounge itself is very retro to the 80's, probably more so than any other lounge on the ship.

- it was fun to see the beginnings of many Royal Caribbean trademarks. Things like the Schooner Bar, Centrum, and large Viking Crown Lounge.

- the Centrum is still a very impressive space, much more so then many brand new ships I have sailed. It's truly the heart of the ship and always full of activity.

- the main foyer with Guest Relations and the Shore Excursion Desk is a huge space. Very expansive.

- a lot of 80's art remains on the ship helping to give away her age.

- there is a wonderful full wrap-around Promenade Deck complete with traditional teak loungers.

- the tiered and rounded aft decks are a rare find in the current age of the 'box boat'.

- I loved the Rosario Strings that played in the Centrum every day. They were excellent.

- the shopping arcade had a large seating area complete with a Seattle's Best Coffee and Ben & Jerry's. It almost reminded me of a mini-Royal Promenade found on the newer RCI ships.

- the ship held our compliment of over 2000 passengers very well. Rarely did the ship feel crowded.

- the Windjammer is one of the best designed buffets of any ship I have sailed. Looks great too!

- above Windjammer is a Johnny Rockets and Sorrento's Pizza. Again, very well designed spaces.

- the pools are large for a cruise ship and the sun deck is huge. This is an area that would be hard to improve upon.

- the spa and fitness center are completely redone and are two of the more modern looking areas on the ship. There is no sauna or steam room.

- the Viking Crown is used as a cigar bar and therefore it reeks of smoke 24/7. Too bad as the views are great.

- CocoCay is my favorite of the private islands I have visited so far. That includes Labadee, Princess Cays, and NCL's private out island. There were tons of lounge chairs for all passengers and plenty of activities and places to explore. The island was very clean and well kept.

- the dining rooms reminded me of Princess. Two single height rooms stacked on top of one another. Tables were very close together.

- my cabin was quiet and kept in pretty good shape. There was some rust in the bath room and the drains were slow. Royal Caribbean's new bedding was in place and it was very comfortable. We were provided robes but never wore them. The cabin was too small to walk around in them! Closet space was decent. There is no safe or refrigerator.

- the shop selection was quite good, much more so then far newer ships I have sailed.

- weather the entire cruise was great and you could barely tell SOVEREIGN was moving most of the time.

Overall I really enjoyed my experience on SOVEREIGN. It was interesting for me to finally sail on this legend many years after her prime. Even though Royal Caribbean has spent a a great deal of money on SOVEREIGN, there were some definite give-aways to her age that were not concealed. Most of the ceilings and light fixtures are original. That means they are a bit faded and dented. Much of the art is original and boy does it look 80's. It seems the elevators, ceilings, some signage, light fixtures, and cabin bathrooms were the details that gave SOVEREIGN's age away. Oh yeah, perhaps the fake dark wood paneled cabin doors as well! All in all the left over 80's decor gave SOS some charm and an almost cozy feel. It was fun to imagine how fantastic all that dated decor was when the ship was brand new.

I definitely recommend a sailing on SOS before she departs the fleet. She provides a great value in comfortable surroundings. I also feel that RCI has not cut corners on the product just because it's the short cruise market. In fact the crew of SOS consistently gets rated the friendliest in the Royal Caribbean fleet, and I spoke to many who return to SOS contract after contract.

Below are links to pictures. I hope you enjoy them. Being in Nassau was a treat for a ship spotter like myself and took many ship photos. It's the perfect place to see the all the ships lined up side by side and make comparisons. FYI I felt SOVEREIGN was the best looking ship in port, even over the classic REGAL EMPRESS which is looking a bit tired these days. Surprisingly the COSTA FORTUNA was looking the worse for wear, with rust all over the ship. SOS looked spotless and it's great to see RCI taking such good care of her.

Until next time,
Ernie

Two Pages of pictures can be found at the following link:
Pictures Link

Here is a taste:

Four Mighty Bows

SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS - A beauty!

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 12-18-2007 10:58 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Loved your pics and review! Thank you. I sailed on her back in 2000 before the refit. She did look even more dated then but she was and still is a lovely well laid out ship with a sexy exterior. She looks even better since her refurb!
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 12-18-2007 10:58 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you had fun!!
That first photo is easly one of the neatest photos i have ever seen. I love it.

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-18-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie - I'm glad to hear she's in good shape. I've never sailed in her but I did sail in MAJESTY OF THE SEAS in 2000 and while it was not a great cruise (the food was awful; otherwise it was just very ordinary) I did like the ship!

It looks to me like this ship has held up very well - despite being 20 years old she still looks very modern. I think RCI has done a great job keeping the ship from looking dated without ruining her original character - the layout is unchanged and except for a couple of places like Bolero's (which was, frankly, an ugly room in its original incarnation), changes seem mostly limited to updating the color schemes from the original washed-out pastels to a more up-to-date, bolder palette. Even most of the furniture is original, quite unusual on a 20-year-old ship. Really, a textbook case of how to refurbish a ship... A lot of companies could learn from this. (Imagine if Cunard had treated QE2 that way.)

Oh, and the Exit/Utgang sign in the Tween Deck stair photo is a neat reminder of the days when Royal Caribbean ships (and NCL ships) were really Norwegian!

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 12-19-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pictures Ernie. I am glad to hear you had a good experience on her. I never noticed SOS's bridge window edges are painted!
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 12-19-2007 10:59 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's a beauty right.

Great pictures Ernie, although I have never sailed on SOTS I have seen her many times, before and after her refit, as well as Monarch OTS and I have sailed on Majesty, these ship are make a great trio and I think they can stay with RCI sailing short cruises for longer. Pullmantur sure get's a good ship. I'll post some pictures of SOS sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-19-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharings those pics!! She along w/her sisters are a few of my favorite newerbuilds. Ashame that we don't see ships w/those elegant curves anymore-except the Disney ships of course!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 12-19-2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Except for the cabins (really tiny), she 's still a quite attractive ship. And your pictures are great, Ernie.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Wave
First Class Passenger
Member # 3813

posted 12-20-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Dave the Wave   Email Dave the Wave   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad you enjoyed her Ernie. I have been on the Sovereign 5 times and she is my faorite even after being on the newer Enchantment and Mariner. A Grand Ship and classic! Sorry to se her go away. Great pic with the lowly Regal Empress. Been on that one too and enjoyed the history and classic ship status of her too.
Posts: 211 | From: St.Pete, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 12-21-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It certainly does look like they've kept her in pretty good shape for the most part. She's definitely a modern classic. The prow is so elegant. None of the new ships really compare. I think only some of HAL's ships come close, notably the R-class, but the arc in the prow isn't as pronounced, and even those vessels are still blocky compared to the Sovereign. The Disney ships have a long bow section as well, but entirely lack the prow arc.

Knowing that she essentially revolutionized the industry, I think I can see now who ripped off whom. I'm thinking Princess ripped off RCI, because, as you mention, the dining room clearly looks like something Princess would have done.

[ 12-21-2007: Message edited by: BigUFan ]

Actually, now that I rethink the above, I was on Crown Princess in 1993, and she predates the Sovereign. She had much of the same style, as did, I believe, Royal Princess, which was even older. So maybe RCI ripped off Princess after all.

[ 12-21-2007: Message edited by: BigUFan ]

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-21-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigUFan:
Knowing that she essentially revolutionized the industry, I think I can see now who ripped off whom. I'm thinking Princess ripped off RCI, because, as you mention, the dining room clearly looks like something Princess would have done.
The dining room is new anyway, having been gutted in the ship's big refit.

quote:
Originally posted by BigUFan:
Actually, now that I rethink the above, I was on Crown Princess in 1993, and she predates the Sovereign. She had much of the same style, as did, I believe, Royal Princess, which was even older. So maybe RCI ripped off Princess after all.
Sorry, but the original CROWN PRINCESS is two years newer than SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS.

ROYAL PRINCESS, on the other hand, was definitely much older, and I believe her interiors were done by Njal Eide, who also designed all the Royal Caribbean ships from SONG OF AMERICA to VISION OF THE SEAS.

Eide was also involved in the SUN PRINCESS-class ships, along with Giacomo Mortola. But CROWN PRINCESS was purely a Mortola design.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 12-24-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bad. I thought the old Crown was launched in '86. Apparently my memory was wrong.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.