- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » How Many CTer's Going To Be In NY When All 3

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Many CTer's Going To Be In NY When All 3
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-10-2007 11:32 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come? I know I'm going to be there. I'm also going to be visiting my sister-in-law in Brooklyn for a whole week. Also, since a couple of plastic models of the QM2 are out. Do you suppose there will be one of the QUEEN VICTORIA as well?
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-11-2007 03:59 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not me unfortunately, but please read your messages!

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 12-11-2007 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be arriving on QE2. Can't wait!
Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-11-2007 01:52 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI:
Do you suppose there will be one of the QUEEN VICTORIA as well?

I doubt a commercial kit will be produced. Most kids don't build models anymore (I built my share of the 1/600 scale Airfix versions and 1/570 QM models back in the 1970s) and in order for it to be profitable there needs to be a market for them.

A QV model could also be used as a base for other Carnival Corp Vista ships but w/different funnels, masts etc.. A little like a 'Mr. Potato Head' toy w/additional parts to create different ships!!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-11-2007 02:40 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be standing on the rail of the QV. Should be a wonderful experience. Can't wait!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-11-2007 02:48 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a shame they won't be alongside each in port. Terrible actually, as that would give Cunard more publicity than anything else.. a new 'Liner Row'.

Aw Lasuvidaboy, kids here make loads of models, but mainly planes and some trains. Ships however are held in stock in the stores, but by and large warships for some reason. The Titanics are abundant too. The kids do not spend hours over them though and tend to want to build and paint them in a day. Many seem to comes as sets with glue, brushes and paints included.

Pam

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 12-11-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am planning on coming down to NYC for the Queen's Meeting. I am hoping that the QM2 will at least sail up the Hudson to meet her "sisters" which will give a great photo oppurtunity. My sister's apartment building has a great common roof deck over looking the west side piers.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 12-11-2007 06:47 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I shall be there - provided I can survive a week of eating, drinking and (I regret to say) smoking on the QE2 with Steve Read.
Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-11-2007 10:00 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I shall be arriving on QE2 with sread, greybeard and TBirdFrank, assuming Heathrow is not shot down by a strike.

If I do not arrive by ship, I shall be there anyway, albeit probably not in a very good mood having missed the ship. Let's hope that doesn't happen...

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 12-18-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Count me in , I 'll be arriving on JFK airport the day before.

Jochen

Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 12-26-2007 10:11 PM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aw Lasuvidaboy, kids here make loads of models, but mainly planes and some trains. Ships however are held in stock in the stores, but by and large warships for some reason. The Titanics are abundant too. The kids do not spend hours over them though and tend to want to build and paint them in a day. Many seem to comes as sets with glue, brushes and paints included.

quote:

Yea Pam, model making is almost non existing here..to bad, Im sure it must have been quiet popular a while back.

Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-26-2007 10:55 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunardcoll:
quote:
Count me in , I 'll be arriving on JFK airport the day before.

So will I, my flight comes in from Chicago at 8 PM.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 01-02-2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like it might be a rocky ride...

...which is exactly what I'm hoping for. I am really looking forward to this trip!

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-02-2008 06:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sread, you have picked the best ride.

I took a December crossing on board the QE2 in a Force ten storm. She gently pitched and rolled as she cut through the waves with ease.

In contrast I bet th QV judders and slaps her way across, as I once experienced on 'Brilliance of the Seas' in moderate sea conditions.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
harborman
First Class Passenger
Member # 1248

posted 01-03-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for harborman   Email harborman   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey folks,
This is from Cunard.

Cunard Line Queens to Meet for Royal Rendezvous
in New York Harbor on January 13

Making maritime history - fireworks and fanfare to mark the first and only meeting of
Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth 2 and new Queen Victoria

Valencia, CA - December 27, 2007 - On Sunday, January 13, 2008, Cunard Line operator of The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World will, for the first and only time, sail their three luxury liner Queens - flagship Queen Mary 2, famed Queen Elizabeth 2 and the new Queen Victoria - together out of New York harbor. The regal fleet is scheduled to depart at 6:30 p.m. Queen Mary 2 will depart from her home port, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal while QE2 will depart from Pier 92 and Queen Victoria will depart from Pier 88 both at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Then, the three Queens will rendezvous and sail past the Statue of Liberty during a spectacular fireworks celebration at approximately 7:00 p.m.

"This is an historic occasion for Cunard and New York, marking the only time that the three ships will be together...ever," said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. "More history will be made as our grand dame QE2 departs on her 26th and final World Cruise and Queen Victoria will depart on her maiden World Cruise," added Marlow.

This is the first-time in Cunard's 168-year history that three "Queens" have been in service at the same time and with QE2 retiring in November 2008 will be the only time they will be together, offering a maritime history-making moment.

Thousands of wFell-wishers are expected to gather at ideal viewing locations to wish the majestic fleet of Queens "Bon Voyage" and see the fireworks celebration. They include:

Battery Park: On the southern shoreline of Manhattan, www.thebattery.org
Map link: http://www.bpcparks.org/bpcp/map/map.php
Robert F. Wagner Jr. Park: Overlooking the Hudson River with great views of the Statue of Liberty
Getting there: Just south of the Museum of Jewish Heritage. By subway: 4 or 5 to Bowling Green, or N or R to Whitehall.
The Esplanade: Running the entire length of Battery Park City, along the Hudson River from Stuyvesant High School on the north end all the way south to Battery Park
Hudson River Park: 550 acre park extends for five miles along the Manhattan shoreline from Battery Place to West 59th Street.
For the most current information on the day's events, visit www.cunard.com/rendezvous.

I'll be there, hope the weather isn't too cold.

Posts: 147 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 01-04-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just had a phone call from Sir Jimmy Savile, wishing me bon voyage on the QE2 on Sunday. I said the weather wasn't looking great. He replied: "Well, we know you like a bit of rough!"
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-04-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, did you ask why he wasn't aboard with you? Or perhaps because they can't bring him home. A sprightly chap for his age.

Pam

Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 01-04-2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know Jimmy has some engagements in the UK next week. I also think - not certain of this - that he always does back-to-back transatlantics, because he doesn't like flying.

Here he is on Queen Victoria the other week...

I'm sure Greybeard and I will raise a glass or two in his absence

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-04-2008 01:42 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure you will. Yes, he does not fly, hence my comment. Always to be found for a chat by the pool on QE2 while having his cigar.

Pam

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-04-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sread:
I just had a phone call from Sir Jimmy Savile...

Does he really say "Now then, now then, now then, as it appens..."?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 01-04-2008 04:27 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm sure Greybeard and I will raise a glass or two in his absence

Indeed we will. I'm thinking of packing a shellsuit in his honour.

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-04-2008 05:04 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The woman on the right is a fixture at New York City ship functions. Her name escapes me.

quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
I

Pam

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 01-04-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line.
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-04-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
She's Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line.

Just goes to show that the truly powerful and important are very humble in their appearance and demeanor. Warren Buffet drives an '86 Chevy and still lives in the $30k house he bought in 1970.

The loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.