- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Explorer: Sinking in Antarctic Ocean (Page 6)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Explorer: Sinking in Antarctic Ocean
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-01-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that link Eric an interesting read. So she wants to go back and finish the trip even after that experience.

Didn't they bring up some of ss Persia from 10,000ft down? I guess little Explorer will remian where she is until in 50 years time someone writes a book claiming she went down with some precious cargo aboard or other conspiracy theory

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 12-01-2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Eric

That link made very interesting reading.

Lets hope if she does return for another trip she has no problems.

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
P&OOfficer
First Class Passenger
Member # 5124

posted 12-03-2007 03:54 PM      Profile for P&OOfficer        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apologies if this has been posted - another article from my local paper:

Article

And his EXCELLENT Photo Log:

Photo Log

Posts: 122 | From: SE England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eric
First Class Passenger
Member # 2724

posted 12-04-2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link to the photo log, I read every word & viewed every photo - First class job. If I read it right, only one of the 4 lifeboat engines worked, in spite of the September safety check in Las Palmas. Amazing that someone trained as a Naval Architect should be onboard as a passenger. Eric
Posts: 421 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 12-04-2007 08:25 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An excellent narrative of Explorer's demise.

A question. In the caption to this picture it says the ship's righting angle will soon be reached and over she'll go. The ship looks like she's already over by almost 90 degrees. How far over can they go?

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 12-04-2007 08:28 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A superb insightful journal. If there ever was a "book in there" this is the individual to write it.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sread:
An excellent narrative of Explorer's demise.

A question. In the caption to this picture it says the ship's righting angle will soon be reached and over she'll go. The ship looks like she's already over by almost 90 degrees. How far over can they go?

Be careful, it does NOT say that. It says the the righting curve will go negative. This means that there will not be an uprighting torque anymore at all - the ship will flip over as the ship will not counteract any heeling torque anymore - the torque that usually is moving a ship 'backwards' to an upright position is then acting WITH the heeling torque - so it will flip over 'on it's own' or due even a minor disturbance.

This is different to increasing the heeling angle of a ship (being intact or damaged) until the uprighting torque is vanishing or becoming a capsizing torque. (Here is a nice article on ships stability - where you BTW can learn from which angles a typical ship is coming back to an upright position) In this case the ship would 'come back' (also a damaged ship) until a certain maximum angle is reached - you would have to 'push it' over this angle to capsize it.

Don't confuse that with the heeling a ship goes trough when being flooded. If the flooding is slow the ship goes through various equilibrium positions until there is no uprighting torque anymore. Also damaged ships can roll - they come back from small heeling angles - of course not back to their undamaged floating condition but back to e.g. an inclined but still stable floating condition.

[ 12-04-2007: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marlowe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1632

posted 12-04-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Marlowe   Email Marlowe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the subject of a ship’s righting moment. A vessel's righting moment (righting arm length times displacement) in an intact condition increases until roughly the time that the deck edge becomes immersed and then decreases but does not disappear. If undamaged, most ships have a righting arm at a heeling angle of 90deg. What prevents a ship from recovering when heeled over so far is usually downflooding which occurs after the deck becomes immersed and that with such tremendous degrees of heel something inside the vessel has to shift down to the low side. The cargo ship FLYING ENTERPRISE is a classic example of this. A damaged vessel with internal flooding also can survive if the flooding is contained. The SOLAS convention has extensive regulations to ensure that vessels can survive in a damaged state. As would be expected, passenger vessels have the highest standards.

What caused the EXPLORER to be lost was her fatal heeling over and resultant uncontained progressive internal flooding. There are two causes for a ship to take a dramatic heel. One is offcenter weights such as shifting cargo or assymetrical internal flooding (which is what I believed caused the EXPLORER to list so dramatically). The other cause is for a vessel to lose her initial stability and then flop over to one side. This happens when weights are raised to high in the ship or when you have loose flooding inside the hull called "free surface" the effect of which is very detrimental. If you have assymetrical internal flooding, to save the ship, it is critical to seal the hull breach, to counterflood (if possible) to bring the ship upright and then press the compartment to 100% full you do not have free surface and the while you loose bouyancy and brings the ship dangerously low in the water, the effect will keep the ship afloat.

IMO, loose water inside the hull and offcenter weight caused EXPLORER to heel to the point where her deck edge when under and as water found more and more points to gain access into the ship, the heel increased, the stability decreased and the flooding eventually spread uncontrolled throughout the vessel until she most likely lay over on her side until her hull simply vanished beneath the surface, but I do not thing there is an actual witnessing of her sinking.

If and only if the hole could have been plugged early, then the EXPLORER might have been saved. However it is usually only government ships which carry damage control equipment able to seal a serious hull breach and have the trained personnel to take those emergency measures in the first hours when those measures are most effective. Sadly, commercial vessels just don’t have either but in remote and hazardous waters such as in Antarctica, having very substantial damage control ability should be every bit as important as firefighting or lifesaving abilities.

[ 12-04-2007: Message edited by: Marlowe ]

Posts: 414 | From: mt. vernon, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marlowe:
[...]
What caused the EXPLORER to be lost was her fatal heeling over. [...]

One must not confuse heeling an (intact) ship beyond the angle where the uprighting torque would not counteract the inclining torque anymore with the heel causes due to e.g. unsymmetrical flooding.

Explorer did not sink because she heeled too much but heeled because she sprung leak. She has NOT been 'knocked over' beyond the 'angle of no return'.

The stability curve of the ship changes while being flooded. Looking at e.g. the maximum angle the intact ship can recover from has nothing to do with the maximum angle a ship can stay afloat due to e.g. flooding (parts of) the hull.

(And as said, damaged ships can be stable - some ships are even more stable when partially flooded)

quote:
[...]
The other cause is for a vessel to lose her initial stability and then flop over to one side. This happens when weights are raised to high in the ship or when you have loose flooding inside the hull called "free surface" the effect of which is very detrimental.[...]

Well, it is pretty certain that the center of gravity of Explorer has not been raised while she sank.

I also doubt that the formation of free surfaces in the hull during the flooding played too much of a role in this case. (this was not the reason why she went down - she has not been 'knocked over' by the water rushing from one side to the other in her hull - not before she has been flooded too excessively anyhow)
As it appears now Explorer sank because she was slowly flooded.

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-04-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

If and only if the hole could have been plugged early, then the EXPLORER might have been saved. However it is usually only government ships which carry damage control equipment able to seal a serious hull breach and have the trained personnel to take those emergency measures in the first hours when those measures are most effective.
[ 12-04-2007: Message edited by: Marlowe ]

Ernst and Marlow, kudos on a great discussion from which I learn from

I understand that in 2002 abouts the QE2 popped a sea chest and she started to flood. With the courage of the fearless crew they used a compressed air bladder to plug the hole and the ship safely made it to port where permanent repairs were made.

Could the air bladder machine plugged the fist size hole of the explorer? Why did they not have the equipment?

PS: I heard from one source that it was a fist size gash

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2007 09:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a theory (this is speculation!) where the 'fist size hole' is coming from: A passenger said in an interview that there was a fist size hole in his cabin - and it seems as if this leak which probably was one out of many became THE fist size leak.

It is very likely that the damage was more excessive than one fist size hole. We will see.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-04-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

With the courage of the fearless crew

...the QE2 would be lost, the QE2 would be lost.

It just reminded me of the Gilligan's Island theme.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marlowe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1632

posted 12-04-2007 10:53 PM      Profile for Marlowe   Email Marlowe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst:

I am not trying to start an argument with you over this but I must first say that the correct term is "righting moment" not torque and what I said was that the EXPLORER was not lost due to loss of righting moment (stability) but from assymetrical flooding which started a list which gradually kept increasing until the deck edge went under and at that point the ship was lost. Flooding without a list gives much more time before the deck is immersed. Had the flooding been checked before that critical point of the rail dipping under then it is just possible that the ship could have been prevented from sinking. That of course brings in the issue of what do you do with a badly disabled vessel in the Antarctic? No drydocks there and I doubt many vessels could make the tow across the Drake Passage and live to tell the tale.

I am afraid that whether it was one hole or a stove in plate, EXPLORER's wound was terminal once the flooding got past a certain point. Ironic the parable with the loss of TITANIC

Marlowe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1632

posted 12-04-2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Marlowe   Email Marlowe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
desirod7 :

I recall vaugely the QE2 flooding incident was a inlet pipe coming from a seachest fractured and that the engineers were able to push something inflatable into the pipe and once blown up gave the engineers to pour a cement patch around the ruptured pipe. Whether the balloon was part of the ship's damage control kit or not is a point I do not remember. Regardless of whether is was or if it was something "jury rigged" in the moment, it saved the ship from some serious flooding.

Regarding the conjecture that the water ingress was in a passenger cabin to me seems highly unlikely unless the EXPLORER has passenger cabins below the waterline. I would think that it might have been a crew stateroom.

Whether such a device would have worked to stop the ingress of water into the EXPLORER is something I cannot see. Generally a hull breach any depth below the waterline involves water coming in under tremendous pressure and even a 4" diameter hole 10' below the level of the outside sea causes 993 gallons per minute to enter the hull. For a hull breach small enought to allow it, the best thing to to try to rig some kind of external patch which then is held in place with lines quite possible running under the hull. I know matresses have been used successfully for this. After the external patch is in place, there are many techniques to internally seal the breach.

In the end I do not fault the officers and crew of EXPLORER. They carried out their principle duty which was to save the lives of all aboard. Being a professional mariner myself, I can easily imagine that they are being hard on themselves for not also saving their ship. I know I certainly would be.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2007 11:46 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The unsymmetric flooding is what caused her to heel and yes, she sank 'heeling' - the margin line was submerged on one side before it was submerged on the other side.

It is very likely that Explorer sank because more than one compartment was flooded (assuming that everything was as it should be) - and this would have caused her to sink also with symmetrical flooding. (Flooding only one compartment should have never caused her to heel that far that the margin line is submerged - even if this compartment is flooded unsymmetrically)

Moment is indeed more often used in literature on naval architecture but torque is a correct term - it means the same. I avoid using moment for torque because it can easily be confused with momentum or in this context with moment of inertia.

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-05-2007 12:31 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have read a few reports that after she hit the first time at quite some time later she was hit a second time by a much bigger piece of ice further down the starboard side, this would make sense and explain perhaps why she was lost even though the first hit was not that big.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-05-2007 06:51 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Mike that was mentioned by a number of reports and covered in the photo-blog on this page. Seems there indeed must have been more than one hole, she had no chance.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-05-2007 09:33 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can now confirm (for a very, very reliable source) that passengers had water in their cabins before the general alarm has been sounded - it was the passengers who detected the water first.

[ 12-05-2007: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 12-05-2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember the sequential photos of the loss of "Andrea Doria?" There was a massive list, early on, and until she went under she did not capsize, just maintained pretty much the same angle of list. I would consider this a parallel incident, but I am a landlubber who reads the papers, that's all.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Eric
First Class Passenger
Member # 2724

posted 12-08-2007 05:31 AM      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Extract from a 1st person account by someone in one of the original affected cabins, posted on CC board

"Why did the boat sink? While it is true that there was a hole in the hull, the water tight doors were shut. The compartment where our cabin was should have filled up with water, but the boat should have continued to float. My understanding was that the problem was with the toilets. The water went into the toilets and then into the holding tank. When the holding tank filled up the water backed up into the other cabins thus bypassing the watertight doors"
Eric

Posts: 421 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-08-2007 04:13 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Extract from a 1st person account by someone in one of the original affected cabins, posted on CC board

"Why did the boat sink? While it is true that there was a hole in the hull, the water tight doors were shut. The compartment where our cabin was should have filled up with water, but the boat should have continued to float. My understanding was that the problem was with the toilets. The water went into the toilets and then into the holding tank. When the holding tank filled up the water backed up into the other cabins thus bypassing the watertight doors"
Eric

I heard that too - funny that it's already online.
It would be odd if it really happened this way. (it should not - that's the point of having watertight compartments) Let's see.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-08-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting article on the planned Antarctic cruises of Princess - http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/

I hope that it is not true that Princess or travel agents declare Star Princess as e.g. 'ice proof'. This would be a veritable scandal.

adriana & norway lover
First Class Passenger
Member # 7184

posted 12-21-2007 10:14 AM      Profile for adriana & norway lover     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GAP Adventures charter the POLARIS of Murmansk Shipping Co as replacement ship of the EXPLORER

http://www.gapadventures.com/polaris

Posts: 199 | From: Caen, France | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.