- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Images of QV departing on sea trials (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Images of QV departing on sea trials
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2007 08:52 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
... the Voyager Class etc. etc. look good while QM2's look like a block of apartments stacked on a hull.

Mmmm...really?

[ 08-29-2007: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-29-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Balconies look very good, it just depends how you put them, also the hull and decks above them has to complement them, this was perfectly achieved in the Radiance class. I think that the first three Voyager class ships and the Disney ships don't look very good with the caged-in balconies, glass looks much better from the outside and passengers prefer them.
I am designing a form of balconies for ships that is becoming popular in condos, and will look very good on a cruise ships.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-29-2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

Mmmm...really?

Yes, really.

To dampen replies to my comment: I consider the exterior of one of my favourite ships - Hanseatic - as obnoxious exteriors.

The exterior of QM2 is a hodgepodge - the many design features (whereof some are citations from other ships) are probably when aboard but certainly do not enhance her exterior appearance. Also, her proportions are a bit strange - e.g. hull appears to be too massive and from some angles her bow is far too high. (but I guess this could not be avoided)

The exterior of the Voyager class - not beauties either - is certainly more consistent. (the extra length of Freedom of the seas helps a lot)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 08-29-2007 10:03 PM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Enclosed bridge wings are all about allowing cheaper, non waetherproof controls to be used. When the STATENDAM class were being designed current HAL officers were asked if they would prefer open or closed bridge wings. The almost unanimous response was open bridge wings. That the ships came out with closed wings showed that the accountants won the day. One win was the ORIANA, originally designed with enclosed wings. CAptain Ian Gibb the ships first Master had enough influence to insist on open bridge wings because "That's what a ship should have." and so her bridge was redesigned to have them. The latter AURORA came after his retirement with enclosed wings.
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-29-2007 10:19 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie1:
Enclosed bridge wings are all about allowing cheaper, non waetherproof controls to be used. [...]

....depends on the officers asked - enclosed bridge wings were certainly not invented aboard cruise ships but ships operating in (very) adverse weather conditions. And do not forget the tiny houses in the bridge wings of some older vessels. Personally, I also prefer to be outside and I like open bridge wings - but I guess some people have another point of view.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-30-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Personally, I also prefer to be outside and I like open bridge wings - but I guess some people have another point of view.

I wonder which bridge wing the officers and crew of QE or QM preferred being on during a cold, wet and windy North Atlantic crossing?

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-30-2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the subject of the Queen Mary 2:

It’s interesting how time is such a great healer. When we first saw the artists impressions of the ‘Queen Mary 2’, then actual photo’s, just about everyone thought she had too much of a wall of balconies and her funnel was far too short in proportion to the hull. In fact I recall some CT’s said that she looked like a ferry.

However I think she has grown on most of us. In my opinion the one design feature that makes her more attractive than all other modern ‘boxy’ cruise ships is her ‘Fantail’. The QV of course does not have this feature.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 08-30-2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
However I think she has grown on most of us. In my opinion the one design feature that makes her more attractive than all other modern ‘boxy’ cruise ships is her ‘Fantail’. The QV of course does not have this feature.

Is it a fantail stern on QM2 or just a tiered stern?

But I know what you mean, and I agree with you. As time goes by, Oriana & Aurora look more & more special with their tiered sterns. Subsequent P&O ships don't have this feature. Ventura will have it in miniature, but 12 decks up!

In three weeks' time I shall be on a ship with a genuine fantail stern - Braemar. However, I'm on a mini-cruise from Newcastle to Southampton via a day in the North Sea, Honfleur & Guernsey, so I don't know how much I will be able to enjoy said fantail.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 08-30-2007 05:18 AM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
On the subject of the Queen Mary 2:

It’s interesting how time is such a great healer. When we first saw the artists impressions of the ‘Queen Mary 2’, then actual photo’s, just about everyone thought she had too much of a wall of balconies and her funnel was far too short in proportion to the hull. In fact I recall some CT’s said that she looked like a ferry.

Malcolm I fear we are practically alone in this world of aesthetes who yearn for their own definition of perfection in ship design. Personally I have always loved ships - all ships ..... and I can find something to appreciate in practically anything that floats. My one regret in life is that I did not make the sea my career. There is nothing like being at sea - but this seems something that eludes our aesthetes ... their only concern seems to be that most ships don't look like they were designed 40 years ago ... oh well, each to his own. Perhaps the cruise lines have got it wrong all these years? No, wait a minute .... aren't they building clones to keep up with the demand for cruising on modern cruiseships???

Ken

[ 08-30-2007: Message edited by: KenC ]

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 08-30-2007 05:34 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps the cruise lines have got it wrong all these years? No, wait a minute .... aren't they building clones to keep up with the demand for cruising on modern cruiseships???

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with the success of the cruise lines. We often forget that we're actually living through a golden age of passenger ship building: of the largest 75 or so passenger ships ever built, all but 10 or so date from the last 15 years. Including all of the largest 25 or so.

But I feel there is a bit of a chicken & egg situation over demand. There is demand, for which they build clone ships because that's cost-effective, and which further reduces costs which they can reflect in lower 'sticker' prices which increases demand, for which they build more ships....

The whole thing is laid out in the book "Selling the Sea" which was discussed here a short while ago. It's an interesting read, and is too complex to summarise quickly.

One thing I'm intrigued about is this: what will the cruise market do when the supply of new ships dries up? (I do believe that the expansion will stop one day). I think, reading other cruise forums, that many cruise passengers love that 'new ship gleam': I have seen 10-year old ships referred to as 'rust-buckets' (Galaxy, specifically), when they clearly weren't; just showing reasonable 10-year wear & tear here & there. I wonder what the mass market will do when the majority of their ships are 10 years old +? I also think that there are a number of other cruise passengers, (and I think I count myself among them) who simply enjoy being on board a ship and are prepared to take the rough with the smooth. I suspect that a majority of us who post here would be the same.

reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 08-30-2007 05:49 AM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wonder what the mass market will do when the majority of their ships are 10 years old

It probably won't happen. For better or worse we live in the throw-away age. Whereas it was once considered reasonable for a ship to be 30 years old, we now sneer at a 15 year old ship and consider something from 2000 middle-aged.

Come to Australia; we are about to receive a 16 year old ship (Regal Princess) and we are all agog. God knows the superlatives that will be printed when the 12 year old Sun Princess arrives. If someone told us we were getting a 10 year old vessel, the government would probably have to declare a public holiday!!!!

Brad

Posts: 343 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-30-2007 06:36 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
One thing I'm intrigued about is this: what will the cruise market do when the supply of new ships dries up?

Good point Tom. Maybe the cruise lines will have to change their marketing to focus on 'newly refitted' ships.

You notice that many cruise brochures do not mention a ships age at all. In the case of lines that buy 'second-hand' ships, they often say something like "Brand new to our fleet". Or they may state "entered service with us in 2007", both are true but can be misleading to non-experts, unlike us.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-30-2007 07:39 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Re-fit is becoming very popular these days, look at Century, Majesty of the Seas and Carnival's Inspiration class, it is much cheaper re-fitting than building. Take for example Majesty of the Seas, she was recently re-fitted for about $30 million or so, my grandma just came back from a weekend cruise and said she looks as good as new. Building a new ship like Majesty would've cost RCI about $450 million. The re-fit will last a couple more years until the ship cannot give anymore and is taken to a second-hand line like Pullmantur.

Cruise lines play Tetris with their ships, when a ship get old they sell it and build new tonnage just like that. This seems to work only with mass-market cruise lines with high demand and as long as their ships keep sailing full, they won't stop building.

Also as ships keep getting bigger they order fewer ships of the same class, another example in RCI: 5 Voyager-class ships built, 3 Freedom-class ships built, 2 Genesis-class ships ordered, what will come after this? who knows but it'll probably be 1 ship only when the first 2 Vision class are sold elsewhere, and that 1 ship will cary as many and more passengers as the other two making higher profits while lowering the cost of the ship and it's maintenance. It's common sense.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-30-2007 08:23 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The exterior of QM2 is a hodgepodge...The exterior of the Voyager class - not beauties either - is certainly more consistent. (the extra length of Freedom of the seas helps a lot)

'Consistency' in exterior design can also be translated as 'bland' or 'uneventful' to the untrained eye, especially in todays giant (basically monochrome) box-boats. QM2's hodgepodge gives the eye something to roam to and from. Voyager...you get snow blind trying to something to lock you sight on to. It would be interesting to ask 10 total strangers that are not remotely familiar with cruise ships or design and ask them which they think looks nicer. I've done that and QM2 won everytime.

QV breaks up the clean lines of the Vista-Class with the crown-effect of the glass enclosed deck forward of the funnel and near the mast, and QE2-styled Cunard brightred funnel. Holland Americas Vista-Class funnels do them no favor. They almost reach blandness. Sleek, yes. Bland, almost.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-30-2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

[...] It would be interesting to ask 10 total strangers that are not remotely familiar with cruise ships or design and ask them which they think looks nicer. I've done that and QM2 won everytime. [...]

I bet it's the dark hull. A ship with a dark hull is always looking more distinguished. Look e.g. at photos of QE2 with grey hull and compare them to her e.g. present livery. Or
go to this webpage.

[ 08-30-2007: Message edited by: Ernst ]

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 08-30-2007 08:41 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

I wonder which bridge wing the officers and crew of QE or QM preferred being on during a cold, wet and windy North Atlantic crossing?

I believe the controls on the exposed bridge wings are merely exterior versions of those found inside the main bridge. They were located there for convenience sake and the superior view from the wing. I don't think there were ever any outside controls that were not available inside the main bridge area.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-30-2007 09:12 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I bet it's the dark hull. A ship with a dark hull is always looking more distinguished. Look e.g. at photos of QE2 with grey hull and compare them to her e.g. present livery.

Maybe it's because she looks like a 'real' ship, much like in those Kids I-Spy books to which unshippy people relate. I believe you have a photo of a ship recognition chart Ernst, which clearly demonstrates the need to use an image of a recognisable to all vessel and not something like a Voyager Class vessel which does not look to the average person anything like a ship.

Much like a vehicle carrier is completely unkown to many [those that never go near ports] and I bet seeing a picture of one of those would result in disbelief of it even being considered a ship.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 08-30-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Much like a vehicle carrier is completely unkown to many [those that never go near ports] and I bet seeing a picture of one of those would result in disbelief of it even being considered a ship.

Like this one? - a real beauty!

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/

[ 08-30-2007: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-30-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The midship funnel certainly makes her profile more look like a ship. Could also play a role.
Has anyone a 'photoshop' of a Voyager Class with dark hull?

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-30-2007 10:17 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:

Like this one? - a real beauty!

Exactly. Paint her white, stick a Viking Crown Lounge on it and you've got the next (insert name here)-of-the-seas.

Black painted hulls do make a difference. However someone once remaked on this site that black painted hulls made them look dirty or like cargo ships or something to that matter. I also asked someone to do a photoshop of the Freedom of the Seas in a black hull and it looked horrible. Black painted hulls dont fit all hull designs. An attractive hull design combined with a great exterior paint job offset by a crowning jewel of a funnel (Cunard) or a trashcan (Costa) can make an aesthetically stunning, or a bland boat.

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 08-30-2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of photoshop repaints that I have collected from the net over the years. It is interesting to see how much a paint job can change the lines of a ship.

First, the Explorer of the Seas with a nice blue hull

Next the Carnival Victory in classic CGT colors

The Oriana in the original corn hulled livery of her classic forebearer

And finally the Rotterdam VI repainted in the 1950's HAL Livery

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 08-30-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny isn't it? To me at least in every single case, the ship looks better when the hull and superstructure are different colours.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-30-2007 12:51 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about in keeping in line with the thread, photoshopping QV and making her hull white....I do not think it would look good..
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-30-2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Carlos. Cruise ships are also beautiful. Maybe not in the same way as classic liners but still beautiful non the less.

I will say though that there are some cruise ships the are ugly. And theres no getting around that.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
geno-er
First Class Passenger
Member # 4202

posted 08-30-2007 11:11 PM      Profile for geno-er   Email geno-er   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Forgive my ignorance...but why is she being towed? I would think she would be underway using her own power?
Posts: 159 | From: Pocono's, Pa. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.