- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » HAL's Eurodam taking shape (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: HAL's Eurodam taking shape
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 08-07-2007 05:25 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This just in from ModernAgent.com:

Holland America Unveils Eurodam Ship Blog

Holland America Line has created a news blog about its new ship the Eurodam, which is under construction in Italy and scheduled for a June 2008 delivery. The site went live on Aug. 6. Located at www.eurodamnews.com , the Eurodam News Blog is designed to provide insight into every aspect of the new ship. Regular postings will cover a wide variety of topics, from interior décor to new public rooms to entertainment and dining venues and menu developments. In addition, it will feature profiles of the officers and shipboard staff. "The Eurodam News Blog is an innovative, new way for Holland America Line to engage guests and others in the building progress and unique features of our 14th ship," said Richard Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. "This weblog is our first foray into the world of Web 2.0 and social media, and provides another tool to communicate with journalists, guests, travel agents and cruise enthusiasts."

The site has a Blog Board composed of top Holland America executives from various departments who are involved in the shipbuilding process and are the principle sources of the site's content. Visitors are encouraged to register and post comments and questions, to which members of the Blog Board will respond within their specific area of expertise. When it is delivered next summer, Eurodam will be the first in Holland America Line's next class of premium cruise ships -- the Signature Class. The 2,104-guest, 86,700-ton Panamax ship is under construction at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard for an estimated cost of $450 million.

So we have pictures!

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-07-2007 06:14 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And still no photos of her near sister Queen Victoria.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-07-2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
And still no photos of her near sister Queen Victoria.

...I wanted to say 'What for - we have pictures of her sisters' - but I better don't say that....

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-07-2007 06:26 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

...I wanted to say 'What for - we have pictures of her sisters' - but I better don't say that....

But none of those have a big red funnel and cool white stripe above the boot topping!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 08-07-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite so, Ernst. And actually, we do have pictures of the QV. They're just not very good ones.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 08-08-2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks BigUFan fore posting. Love the blog.
seems HAL do a better job in PR with this vessel thene Cunard with QV.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-08-2007 09:36 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A very good friend of mine, whom I have known since he was a cadet on the old Westerdam, is to be the take-out Captain. I was so excited for him when he told me the news. I plan on sailing with him and his wife in September, 2008 on a Canada/NE cruise.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 08-10-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is an interesting new photo of Eurodam. I didn't realize she would have an additional upper deck of balconies above the bridge.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
YoShip
First Class Passenger
Member # 6731

posted 08-10-2007 04:16 PM      Profile for YoShip     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pic, Fairsky. Can it get any worse than those four windows in the additional deck??

What makes me wonder, is that the hull is painted white! Not the regular primer color. And if I remember correctly all previous HAL ships got their hull sections put together in dark blue already. Are there changing times ahead for HAL or just at Fincantieri?? - Please not in this issue for HAL!

Greetings,
YoShip.

Posts: 32 | From: Zurich | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-10-2007 04:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YoShip:
[...]
What makes me wonder, is that the hull is painted white! Not the regular primer color. [...]

It's not white - and I have seen such grey primer on ships.

YoShip
First Class Passenger
Member # 6731

posted 08-11-2007 11:01 AM      Profile for YoShip     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

It's not white - (...)

You are right of course, was tired when checking it. More greyish - like HAL´s 1960s style....

YoShip.

Posts: 32 | From: Zurich | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-11-2007 01:40 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eurodam get screwed...lol, literally.

Starboard Screw
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-11-2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really don't like the styling of the Eurodam compared to QV and the first ships in HAL's Vista-class. The decks added above the bridge look awkward and the four little windows are horrible, why couldn't they make floor-to-ceiling windows all around. I do like the new section added to the bow, it makes it look more like an ocean liner.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-16-2007 09:18 AM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The latest two pics are from the Eurodam website and show aft shots of the new superstructure that went in...

Aft Shots
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 08-20-2007 01:13 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pictures guys!
Eurodam is getting even more exciting !
Indeed her "oceanliner" DNA is breathing about :
- her bows'addition
-the white line dividing the upper hull and the lower one, just like Cunarders!
If the hull primers stays, suggesting a return to HAL post-war colors(like ssRotterdam), the ship will easily blend its above bridge deck additions... and be a real stunner!
I personnally think the Vista-ships too long, especially the HAL ones with dark hull.
Lets hold our breath on that one but Carnival have learnt from its subsidiaries since Arcadia, a seemingly disastrous modified Vista did very well even in white hull!
It would be interesting if P&O adopts is post-war corn hull for Ventura!

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-20-2007 02:38 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wel the Captain of the Eurodam has been named. He is the current Captain of the Zuiderdam. His name is Jeroen van Donselaar and you can see more info on him at the Eurodam blog site. There are links to it in this thread. Infact here is the link:

Eurodam's Captain
cruiseshipluver

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-21-2007 08:56 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseshipluver:
Wel the Captain of the Eurodam has been named. He is the current Captain of the Zuiderdam. His name is Jeroen van Donselaar and you can see more info on him at the Eurodam blog site. There are links to it in this thread. Infact here is the link:

Eurodam's Captain
cruiseshipluver

There is a small error in JvD's profile, but I am sure he will have it corrected when he sees it.

Stan Kuppens will be Hotel Manager.

Have sailed with both of these wonderful gentlemen and they make a great team.

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 08-21-2007 07:24 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New pictures.

Clearly shows the platform as my friend with HAL said it will be an observation platform. As passengers missed one on the Vista's.
Frome here.

Greetings Ben.

[ 08-21-2007: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-21-2007 09:35 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

These are interesting... and sooo high up too.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-22-2007 09:22 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why do I get the feeling those rounded balcony cabins were supposed to be the "new HAL cabin type" that was touted as a new innovation for HAL. Cabins with floor to ceiling glass windows. Of course such cabins have been done for years on ships like the NORWAY and Carnival's Destiny Class. Floor to ceiling windows in cabins are nothing new, but maybe so for HAL. Anyway, these rounded balcony cabins appear to be located in the same spot where the floor to ceiling glass windowed cabins were to be.

No doubt HAL figured out they could get more revenue with the balcony cabins and I guess the architects figured out a way to make it happen.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It could also be regulations. Windows must not be opened. I think this is one of the reasons for the french balconies aboard Seabourn. Personally, I prefer such a small 'french' balcony - this way one has more daylight in the cabin. Most cabins became (narrow) tunnels since they all have to be outside and have to have a balcony.
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-28-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Suite rendering on the Blog site.
cruiseshipluver

[ 08-28-2007: Message edited by: cruiseshipluver ]

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 08-28-2007 08:40 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's the image although this particular one has been around for a while (...we discussed the apparent lack of railings on the balcony).

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-28-2007 03:12 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, I see that they have corrected Captain JvD's profile on the HAL BLog.

When I told him about the mistake he said "I sent them a corrected copy, guess I'll have to send it again".

cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 08-31-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sidethrust anyone?

Well the Eurodam recieved her thrusters recently, maybe today?

Thrusters...
cruiseshipluver

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.