- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » SEA DIAMOND SANK! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: SEA DIAMOND SANK!
rustaveli
First Class Passenger
Member # 1708

posted 04-06-2007 02:16 AM      Profile for rustaveli   Author's Homepage   Email rustaveli   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Sea Diamond sunk at 2.30, a father and a daughter appear to be missing!

http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/news/telegramm/Newsticker,rendertext=1648736.html

Posts: 89 | From: Locarno / Ticino - Switzerland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 04-06-2007 02:27 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't believe she has really sunk. She ran aground.

My condolence to the lost father and daughter.

[ 04-06-2007: Message edited by: Waynaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rustaveli
First Class Passenger
Member # 1708

posted 04-06-2007 02:34 AM      Profile for rustaveli   Author's Homepage   Email rustaveli   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Freitag, 06. April 2007, 07:03 Uhr Griechenland: Kreuzfahrtschiff vor Santorin gesunken, zwei Vermisste
Das havarierte Kreuzfahrtschiff „Sea Diamond“ ist mit einem dröhnenden Krach vor dem Hafen der Insel Santorini untergegangen. Die Stelle des Untergangs ist nach Fischerangaben rund 200 Meter tief. Dies berichteten Reporter des griechischen Fernsehens. „Es war eine dramatische Szene“, sagte ein Reporter. „Es ist das Ende“, kommentierten Augenzeugen während das 22 000 Tonnen große Schiff mit dem Bug nach oben unterging. Unterdessen wurden zwei französische Bürger offiziell als vermisst erklärt. Es handelt sich um einen 45-jährigen und seine 16-jährige Tochter, die trotz umfangreicher Suche auf Santorin nicht gefunden werden konnten. Die griechische Tourismusministerin Fani Petralia hatte am Vorabend gesagt, alle 1547 Menschen an Bord seien unverletzt von der„Sea Diamond“ evakuiert worden.

Posts: 89 | From: Locarno / Ticino - Switzerland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-06-2007 02:36 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried the link but could not find anything about Sea Diamond, of course it is in German so I am handicapped in that regard, there is a very good clip at news.bbc.co.uk that clearly shows her after the evacuation hard up against the cliffs at Thera which must of caused even more damage, my uderstanding is that she hit or brushed a reef about 2 miles off shore then was towed in nearer the harbour, she then seems to have drifted onto the cliffs before drifting out again, Louis had stated later that she was not in danger and no one had been in danger. It seems it took over 2 hours to evacuate the ship, quite a long time given they were using shore based boats, their own boats and life rafts. If she has indeed sunk it has been a rough year for Louis given the fire on Calypso last year. Even if she has sunk it is not particularly deep there she may be sitting and quite salvagible, we will have to wait for new pics.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rustaveli
First Class Passenger
Member # 1708

posted 04-06-2007 02:56 AM      Profile for rustaveli   Author's Homepage   Email rustaveli   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070406.wcruisecan0406/BNStory/International/home
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-06-2007 03:19 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many thanks for the link but it seems to contradict itself, the headline says "sinks" but the content of the article says the ship was stabilized after closing the watertight doors.

Here is a thing, it is a requirement that watertight doors are closed when entering port, navigation in reduced visability or when in restricted waters - for the article it seems they were not closed a clear violation of law ? If they were open it may be that Louis has opened the way for massive lawsuits.

Acutally just stopped and checked the Caldera webcam from Santorini, all it shows is a few dozen what aapears to be life jackets floating in the water but no other debris like deck chairs etc that ne would expect to see, it appears she has sunk ? The other webcams show nothing.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-06-2007 03:21 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The Canadian students said they were knee-deep in water before they were evacuated."

Interesting comment. Perhaps the ferry loading stage was a bit wet.

Many reports are now saying she 'sank' this morning; not sure how deep it is in the inlet where she was taken. Wish we could see what these people were watching.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 04-06-2007 03:32 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam,

All reports are saying she sank in 150 - 200 meter deep water.

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-06-2007 04:00 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a shame.. it will be an awkward salvage but I guess they will do it?

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-06-2007 04:10 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is really bad. I hope the rumours about the missing persons turn out to be wrong and that the pollution caused by the wreck is kept under control.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Peter P
First Class Passenger
Member # 374

posted 04-06-2007 05:34 AM      Profile for Peter P     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=22584&a=801116&lid=puff_801135&lpos=lasmer

Watch videos.
Ship sinking!

There wasnt place where water would not have been so deep?

This accident is a bit weird. Other video where rescue is on going shows there ship is literally crashed to the island not reefs.

Btw. This ship use to work as a set for one of the most populat swedish soap operas.

[ 04-06-2007: Message edited by: Peter P ]

Posts: 329 | From: Finland | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-06-2007 05:57 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Peter fore sharing the video's.

Very sad that she was lost. It appear that the ship was quit damaged by the grounding. But I'm so happy that every one was save.
Wondering what happen before she run aground, that lead to here sinking.

BTW The ship was in excellent condition almost no rust and here underwater hull looks spotless. Very sad.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peter P
First Class Passenger
Member # 374

posted 04-06-2007 06:03 AM      Profile for Peter P     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She was just had small fixes?
This was her maiden voyage under Louis?

recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 04-06-2007 06:27 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter P:

This was her maiden voyage under Louis?

No, She started sailing for Louis almost a year ago.

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 04-06-2007 07:02 AM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
always sad to hear when we lose a ship.. ....so what now? any of you think she might be salvaged?
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 04-06-2007 07:23 AM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was watching the drama unfold on CNN and other world news here in Oz , and with her lisiting so close to the rocks , i was under the impression that she had been pushed into shallow water so she would rest on the bottom.Imagine my surprise to come on CT and see a video of her sinking upside down.Talk about gobsmack!
Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peter P
First Class Passenger
Member # 374

posted 04-06-2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Peter P     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly!
They wanted to sink her or ehat?

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 04-06-2007 07:42 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rescue on youtube...didnt know if this had been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sjnXkeTJI

[ 04-06-2007: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NicholasK
First Class Passenger
Member # 4621

posted 04-06-2007 08:06 AM      Profile for NicholasK   Email NicholasK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too bad to see a ship shinking... At least everyone is safe.

The ship was in excellent condition, and it was the first ship of louis started operations for summer 2007!. Do you think Louis is going to replace the ship with the same destinations?

Posts: 88 | From: Cyprus | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 04-06-2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Swedish videos in particular are very powerful, especially of course the images of the bow finally slipping beneath the surface.

Looking at the 'rescue' video (the second Swedish video), I'm sure that at that time Sea Diamond was just offshore from the landing dock below Thira, and not at Athinios. I took some pictures in the summer of that area from the sea ( http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2737 ) to put it into context, and I'm certain that I can see the lower cable car station in the Swedish video.

I wonder if, once the evacuation was finished, they just towed her out to deep water and let her sink? Perhaps they knew what was going to happen from quite early on.

One more thing: I know we have to wait for the results of the inevitable investigation, but surely the waters in & around Santorini must be very well charted?

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-06-2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am genereally surprised to see that people use music for their videos (it is usually nicer, but I have my doubts that all these people have permission of the copyright holders) - but in the case of the above posted youtubeclip it is actually tasteless.

Concering shallow water - the caldera is actually pretty deep and the coast (cliffs) are steep - I was already a bit concerned when I heard yesterday that the captain is looking for shallow water - where would actually be the closest suitable place to put a ship aground? I guess on the other side of the island - so why didn't they make it there? (I was surprised to hear that she actually went down)

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-06-2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An Austrian newspaper reports that there is not much hope for the missing persons. (a father and his daughter)

The mother of the young girl said that they were surprised by the water in their cabin and that she could only escape swimming. She could not say what happened to her husband and her daugther who seem to have been trapped in their cabin.

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-06-2007 09:02 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
An Austrian newspaper reports that there is not much hope for the missing persons. (a father and his daughter)

The mother of the young girl said that they were surprised by the water in their cabin and that she could only escape swimming. She could not say what happened to her husband and her daughter who seem to have been trapped in their cabin.

Dutch news reports that both the man and his daughter where alive there was some mis counting of the passengers.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Magic Pipe
First Class Passenger
Member # 6994

posted 04-06-2007 09:18 AM      Profile for Magic Pipe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looking at those photos and watching those videos, I can't help but think that that could have been the Monarch of the Seas had she not been delibrately beached after she grounded in St. Maarten.
Posts: 213 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-06-2007 09:32 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The globemail reported that her watertight doors were not closed at the time of grounding but were closed later, this if course would have facilitated the spread of water throughout the ship quite quickly and once closed it would have stabilized the intake to smaller areas, is there still a car deck / garage on her if so once water reached this it would not have taken long for her to capsize ?

If indeed the watertight doors were open when she grounded in contravention of international regulations the chances of Louis getting paid by their insurers is slim, the torrent of lawsuits could prove to be massively expensive and indeed criminal action could also be involved especially now 2 innocent people are still missing. I know we shouldn't jump to conclusions etc and I know it is only heresay in a newspaper about the doors being open but they did seem quite positive about it and it was not in terms of legal issues. I do hope for everyones sake they are wrong as things will get very nasty if they are right. Lets hope that the 2 missing are simply miscounted and not still on board, VERY scary to hear that at least one person had to swim out of her cabin though, so much for Louis stating that no one was ever in danger and that although a distress call was put out it was not an "emergency".

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.