- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Radio controlled QV model on YouTube (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Radio controlled QV model on YouTube
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-14-2007 11:39 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I recently saw a radio controlled model of Queen Victoria on YouTube. The model is not really accurate but apparently it is the 1st radio controlled model of this ship.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-15-2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the link to the video.

Funny that from far, the "face" of the model resembles the QM2!

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-15-2007 06:05 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite nice. The model is not very accurate. But it's the QV and it's working. The builder could build a whole fleet of theme al Vista's, Arcadia and the sisters from Carnival and Costa. Without much reshaping his/here original model.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-15-2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love to have one of these.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-15-2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great! He also has a QM and QE: Here

I wonder if he has a QE2 and QM2 - probably?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-15-2007 08:51 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maasdam:
Quite nice. The model is not very accurate. But it's the QV and it's working. The builder could build a whole fleet of theme al Vista's, Arcadia and the sisters from Carnival and Costa. Without much reshaping his/here original model.

This is funny QV was just modelled from his existing HAL Vista, the link was posted some time ago on CT, see here. The guy has probably been reading CT and has a shelf of funnels in the garage just to swap over to suit the name Same ship/different name & funnel.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-15-2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the link to his site: web page
He has given me an idea to build one too, since they are not sold anywhere I'll make my own.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-15-2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
The guy has probably been reading CT and has a shelf of funnels in the garage just to swap over to suit the name Same ship/different name & funnel.

What's his name, 'Carnival Cruise Line'?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-15-2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is funny QV was just modelled from his existing HAL Vista, the link was posted some time ago on CT, see here. The guy has probably been reading CT and has a shelf of funnels in the garage just to swap over to suit the name Same ship/different name & funnel.

Pam

Everybody should read his web-site, it is really interesting and he has the history of his ships, how he made an 8 foot long QM2 and was destroyed. The QV model is actually the Zuiderdam, but it didn't just swap funnels, the Zuiderdam had problems so he decided to re-fit it out and make the QV, many thisgs were changed. This is really interested and he has given me the impulse to create an RC ship, it'll probably be project "Genesis".

[ 03-15-2007: Message edited by: Carlos Fernandez ]

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-15-2007 11:02 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am also into R/C but with aircraft. Cars and boats can get to be a bore after awhile. IMHO
I would suspect that this model comes from China as most models are now made there. There are few kits made now,its almost ready to fly,run, or sail that most hobby shops carry.
I love to build and fly but with time being short for most people now they don't take the time to build anymore. There are some very fine models that are coming out of China. You would be surprised at the cost there vs here eg.I bought a sailplane kit in Bejiing for $50US that same model is Over $200 here. I'll bet if you look you will find these ship models on the NET somewhere.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-15-2007 11:06 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.handcraftedmodelships.com/?OVRAW=Model%20Ships&OVKEY=model%20ship&OVMTC=standard

Try this site. I did not browse but they do have cruise ship models
F4

cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 03-15-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That stern flag is wickedly huge. Imagine if the real QV were to have a flag that large The weight of it would probably break the flag pole.

The vessel it self is out of proportion. Life boats... i would not even go there. They tried with the upper deck...I'm not too sure what they did with the forward observation/heli drop zone area.. it looks more like a dance floor in the model.

Positive note: The model floats beautifully and seems to be well balanced in the water
but design wise.. she doesnt exactly follow the real ship.
Good try though.. it looks fun in the water.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-15-2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People, this is a person that did this for his enjoyment, not to sell them, they are made out of foamboard, cardboard and plexi-glass, he is not going to sell these. I think that what he did is awsome despite the disproportions of the ships.

[ 03-15-2007: Message edited by: Carlos Fernandez ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-15-2007 12:43 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A model does NOT always have to be 'to the scale' - e.g. toys or also stage settings are often not to the scale.
It has to be well done tough - and these RC models are very well done - I like how they depict in a simplified way the essence of some of these ships. The above posted link to this these gahstly models is on the other hand showing how it should not be done....brrrr.....

[ 03-15-2007: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-15-2007 01:10 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have not come across the blog before, thanks for pointing it out, it makes excellent reading, even if I can't find a photo of QM2 looking like a 'deflated pool toy'; he must have been gutted. Still the ships are great fun and he obviously gets much enjoyment from them; they are not supposed to be detailed replicas. I expect anyone seeing the ships wouldn't have a clue they weren't correct down to the last screw anyway. I probably had as much fun reading the blog as he does making and sailing the ships.

It only took 4 evenings to convert Zuiderdam to QV. As he says she is sailing 10 months before her inaugural voyage. I wonder if she will still be here come December

The YouTube videos really do not give justice to the ships; the photos are much much better, although it is nice to see how they actually sail too.

Pam

[ 03-15-2007: Message edited by: PamM ]

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-15-2007 07:52 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats really cool. I was thinking of turning one of my Revel models into a R/C model. I heard you could do this. I am just trying to find out how. I love the video of the 2 Queens.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 03-16-2007 12:28 AM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I noticed he had what looked to be a Theodore the tug boat model, just one problem.... it has an American flag on the back. can anyone guess where Theodore is 'from'??
i know it's not sunday quiz time just yet but friday is sunday here in the middle east.

Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-16-2007 05:02 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Canadian? Just a guess, and maybe Halifax I noticed the tug, but not the detail, it seemed quite large compared to the ships, but I don't know of 'Theodore'?

Pam

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-16-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For those interested in getting or converting a ship model to R/C just go to a hobby shop,especially one that is big into R/C. They can get you started. A ship model can carry a lot of weight(batteries) and the basic functions are motor speed control and steering. There are steam powered models($$$)-however. Lights,horn/whistle, etc. can easily be added. Be sure to get the radio equipment on frequencies allocated for cars and boats. 75MHZ band.
Frosty 4

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 03-16-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
75 MHZ? That's in the 4 MHZ gap between TV channels 4 and 5. Always wondered what applications made use of that gap. Now I know one.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-16-2007 06:36 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Canadian? Just a guess, and maybe Halifax I noticed the tug, but not the detail, it seemed quite large compared to the ships, but I don't know of 'Theodore'?

Pam

The 1/400 scale QE2 from the 1970s early 80s could also be made with or without the working motor/screws. The motor and switch was included in the kit but I don't know if the later re-issued model also offered this option. It was not radio controlled but you could set the rudder position and have her go in circles (not much fun) or a straight line.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 03-17-2007 01:43 AM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you're right Pam, indeed 'he' is from Halifax. Theodore the tug boat is a Thomas the tank engine style childrens program about various ships, bridges and of course the the harbour master.
A life size theordore 'lives' in halifax harbour. will have to see if i have a photo to post.

Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 03-17-2007 02:04 AM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Theodore tug boat in the flesh......
here

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-17-2007 05:36 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent, thanks I have just found the website. Seems one can go on harbour trips too in the summer months; maybe a bit 'childified' though. Nice pictures with Norwegian Sea.

Pam

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-17-2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually the 72-75MHZ spectrum is 4 meters. This band is a shared band for radio control and others services eg.remote control of cranes.
72MHZ is used for aircraft and 75MHZ is for cars and boats. It is essential that ground operated vehicles and boats stay on 75MHZ as interference and possible crashes could occur if operated on 72MHZ adjacent to a R/C aircraft flying fields.Recently a new band has opened at 2.4GHZ Spread spectrum Technology for R/C use.
Sorry just the old electrical engineer in me.
Frosty 4

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.