- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Oceania Cruises to order two 65,000-ton newbuildings (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Oceania Cruises to order two 65,000-ton newbuildings
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 03-11-2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
See link:

Cruise Business Online

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-11-2007 06:50 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Finally.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-11-2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
$500 million for a 65,000 ton ship seems very, very expensive. Other cruise lines are paying that much for ships twice as large.

For example, Princess is paying $525 for Emerald Princess--a 116,000 ton ship from the same yard. And Eurodam is contracted at $450 million for 86,000 tons. All of these ships are being built at Fincantieri.

Does this mean Oceania is moving into the six-star luxury market?

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-11-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But there are surely minimal design costs involved with Emerald Princess, basically constructed using existing plans etc.

I would imagine [& hope] anything for Oceania is a fresh newlook and design throughout, not something already 'on the block'.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-11-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1260 passengers, 65000 tons. Ratio = 51,6
Much better than Vistas (HAL, Arcadia and QV), Celebrity Millenium class, R class and very much better than Solstice class. But less than QM2 and far less than Regent, Silversea and Crystal ships.

I know this ratio doesn't tell everything as the ship lay out, design, service, crew, food (...) are likely to relativise it. But it's anyway a good indication. I think we may guess this newbuilts will position below the "six stars" market and slightly above Celebrity and HAL products.

Anyway, it's very nice to see a new class of middle sized ships, and quite exciting to imagine what will be Oceania's first "home made" vessels.

Now in which yard will the order go ?

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-11-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also, these contracts have been signed at different times - and some luxury lines actually get away with pretty 'simple' vesseles - which is why I hope Oceania is coming uo with something nice.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-11-2007 08:52 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Think Crystal Cruises. You might see a resemblance.

Did anyone get a chance to read the comments on Seatrade Insider from Micky Arison on private equity investments? This was in response to Apollo taking over Oceania. A very high return is expected by these equity firms, and although they often infuse capital there is a price to pay. Control. It was an interesting article as my comprehension of exactly how these equity firms operate is vague.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-11-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
$500 million for a 1,260 passenger ship makes a cost per berth price of $397,000. That is far more expensive than any other newbuild on the orderbooks apart from the new Seabourn ships.

I hope Oceania gets their money worth. Let's see something innovative, something original.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-11-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great news to hear.

I hope the design is similar to the existing ships.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 03-12-2007 12:31 AM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Prehaps they will use the proposed (enlarged)design that Reniassance Cruises was going to build before they went under.
Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 03-12-2007 01:09 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Always a problem with a small fleet but when you introduce 2 brand new state of the art vessels the older ones seem second best, unless they retrofit them at huge cost. I wonder if they will keep the Edwardian theme ? I personally hope they leave it out of the cabins.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 03-12-2007 08:15 AM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, the news item on the link I posted above has now been changed... But I guess it dosen't have to mean the newbuildings are off.

Cruise Business Review is usually a very reliable source.

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-12-2007 08:24 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
65,000 gt sound small these days, but only a few years ago these would have been big ships and often 'mass market'.

After all the QE2 is only around 70,000 gt.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 03-12-2007 08:34 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
shipsnorway wrote:
Interestingly, the news item on the link I posted above has now been changed... But I guess it dosen't have to mean the newbuildings are off.

Cruise Business Review is usually a very reliable source.

When I checked it earlier, before your last post, there was no news item. No one else as yet has published anything to do with Oceania's newbuilds. Maybe the press release was withdrawn. Tim at Oceania will tell us when it happens, I guess.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-12-2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oceania seems to be doing it right as most of their cruise are already booked. We want to try them but alas all ready booked full. We could have been put on a waiting list but your taking a chance on going and perhaps a cabin not of your choice.
Their offering these cruise /air packages along with 2 for 1 fares.This is probably why they are popular.

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-12-2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:

When I checked it earlier, before your last post, there was no news item. No one else as yet has published anything to do with Oceania's newbuilds. Maybe the press release was withdrawn. Tim at Oceania will tell us when it happens, I guess.

Cheers

It may have been a leak and Oceania officers may have asked for this piece of news removal... It was stated that the official announcement was planned for Wednesday.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-12-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was definitely there, even named Tim as the source at Oceania. Expect it wasn't supposed to have been posted yet.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-12-2007 10:40 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seatrade Insider is now reporting the expected newbuilds.

They state it will be announced during a news conference on Wednesday. They go on to say that the multiple ship order was won by Fincantieri to be built at the Sestri Ponente yard for delivery starting in 2010.

There you have it!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-12-2007 11:14 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Seatrade Insider is now reporting the expected newbuilds.

They state it will be announced during a news conference on Wednesday. They go on to say that the multiple ship order was won by Fincantieri to be built at the Sestri Ponente yard for delivery starting in 2010.

There you have it!

Ernie

That's interesting. This was the lead article in Cruise news published earlier this evening.

I guess it must be true

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 03-13-2007 01:12 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very interested to see the first artists renderings of them.
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 03-13-2007 07:02 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Q65,000 gt sound small these days, but only a few years ago these would have been big ships and often 'mass market'.
After all the QE2 is only around 70,000 gt.
UOTE] [/QUOTE]

hi malcolm,

i can't agree no more

therefore i'm really doubting this move by Oceania
or is it the Apollo management

I think Oceania really made inroads by their timing of introducing their 3 ships on a very even pace
and the fact that this R class ships were so suitable for their customers

their failure to succeed in obtaining any of the other 5 ships into their fleet (and no wonder these ships are very succesfull) and if i remember well
they once even did proclaim it.. caused quiet a gap
for a number of years for a next possible expansion

i doubt very much if their customers would like to cruise on a ship twice as big and even more
3 times as many passengers...

is this to make up for numbers?

b.Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-13-2007 07:07 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buddhaJoe:
i doubt very much if their customers would like to cruise on a ship twice as big and even more
3 times as many passengers...

b.Joe

R class : 30000t, 700pax
New class: 65000t 1260pax

The ships will be 2,16 times bigger and there will only be 1,8 times more passengers, very far from 3 times.

[ 03-13-2007: Message edited by: Pascal ]

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 03-13-2007 08:31 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is interesting that Fincantieri seems to have secured this order. I wasn't expecting them to be built at Sestri Ponente but maybe at Ancona which is earmarked for smaller cruise ships (if 65,000gt is considered small). I wonder if Carnival Corp wants further orders if they'll make a return to Aker in Finland?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 03-13-2007 03:55 PM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QR class : 30000t, 700pax
New class: 65000t 1260pax

The ships will be 2,16 times bigger and there will only be 1,8 times more passengers, very far from 3 times.

UOTE] [/QUOTE]
Pascal,

you are right ofcourse, i did confuse the
silversea ships which carry 388 pax

however i don't believe that bigger is better......

b Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-14-2007 11:49 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Official press release from Oceania Cruises' website:

OCEANIA CRUISES ENTERS INTO NEWBUILD AGREEMENT WITH FINCANTIERI

Two New 1,260-Guest Ships to Be Delivered in 2010 and 2011

Larger Version

Miami, FL, March 14, 2007 — Oceania Cruises announced today that it has entered into a memorandum of agreement with Italy’s Fincantieri shipyard that calls for the construction of two 1,260-guest, 65,000-ton ships to be delivered in the fall of 2010 and summer of 2011. The agreement includes an option for a third vessel to be delivered in 2012. The contract price for each vessel is $500 million dollars.

“This new class of elegant, mid-size ships will define upper-premium cruising for years to come and demonstrates our commitment to providing our guests and travel agent partners with an extraordinary onboard experience. We have elevated the onboard product in every area and as a result, guests will be able to dine in an unprecedented number of gourmet restaurants, and revel in the luxury of accommodations that will set a new standard in terms of size, spaciousness and comfort,” stated Frank Del Rio, Chairman and CEO of Oceania Cruises.

Designed by the world renowned architectural firm of Yran & Storbratten, the new Oceania-Class vessels will usher in new generation of luxurious, mid size cruise ships. Under the direction of Executive Architect, Gunnar Aaserud, the new Oceania-Class represents an evolution of the line’s extremely popular Regatta-Class ships. This new class of mid size cruise vessels will retain all of the warmth, popular design elements and signature amenities of the Regatta-Class while affording guests an additional level of comfort, convenience and many new luxury amenities. Designed to cruise to all corners of the globe, the new ships will boast a cruising speed 20% faster than the Regatta-Class. In addition to their greater speed, the Oceania-Class will have a greater range that enables them to undertake the itineraries to virtually any destination worldwide.

The new Oceania-Class vessels will set a new standard in culinary excellence, featuring six open-seating gourmet restaurants which boast the capacity to seat 150% of the ship’s guests in a single seating. The magnificent Grand Dining Room will be an opulent space crowned with a magnificent frescoed domed ceiling. The four specialty restaurants will feature the line’s signature Polo Grill and Toscana along with two new specialty dining venues, an elegant French bistro and a Pan-Asian restaurant.

These new ships have been designed with all the signature elements that guests and travel agents cherish, and the décor will be imbued with the same warmth and charm that the Regatta-Class is renowned for. Signature public spaces will include the Martinis, Horizons, The Patio, and a Grand Staircase that sweeps up both sides of the lobby. Public areas and accommodations will include rich wood paneling and granite accents, opulent furnishings and a museum quality art collection that will include many rare nautical antiques.

“With our new financial partners and this one billion dollar order, Oceania Cruises is poised to take its place as the market leader in upper-premium cruising. While the Regatta-Class ships have provided us with an exceptional foundation for the line and are extremely successful, the new Oceania-Class will be the perfect complement to our fleet and have been designed with all the signature features our unique and discerning guests love, plus new amenities to enhance their Oceania Cruises experience,” stated Del Rio.

The design specifications for the Oceania-Class call for the vessels to be 825 feet long, 105 feet wide, a draft of 23 feet, and accommodate 1,260 guests on 9 guest decks. The ships will feature 630 staterooms and suites that are on average, 50% larger than the Regatta-Class; 96% of all guest accommodations will feature sweeping ocean views and 93% will boast oversized, private teak verandas. The ships will be powered by diesel-electric engines and operate with twin screw propellers, with a service speed of 20 knots. They will be equipped with two bow thrusters to enhance maneuverability, and will also be “green ships” employing the most advanced environmental systems and technology.

Giuseppe Bono, Fincantieri's Chief Executive Officer, commented: "The agreement with Oceania Cruises proves that Fincantieri, with the experience and expertise developed in all these years as world leading cruise shipbuilder, is ready to enter the rapidly growing upscale market. With this project, Fincantieri is further enhancing its offerings to cover all market segments - from mega yachts to 130,000-ton cruise ships and over – along with "niche" products such as special "exploration" ships."

Del Rio said that travelers and travel agents seeking a truly exceptional cruise experience will be ecstatic when the ships are unveiled. “The addition of these spectacular new ships will provide greater opportunities for guests and travel agents alike and allow us to sate the pent up demand for our award-winning product,” added Del Rio.

About Oceania Cruises
Oceania Cruises is the world’s only upper-premium cruise line. Featuring a fleet of intimate and luxurious mid-sized ships, Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, Oceania Cruises sails to the most alluring ports in Europe, China and the Far East, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Central America and the Caribbean. Combining the finest cuisine at sea, exceptional personalized service, luxurious accommodations and extraordinary value, Oceania Cruises is setting a new, worldwide standard for luxury cruising. For additional information, to make a reservation, or to order a brochure, please contact your Travel Agent or Oceania Cruises at 800-531-5658. Visit us at OceaniaCruises.com.

SOURCE:
Oceania Cruises, Inc.

Tim Rubacky
Director of Corporate Communications
Oceania Cruises, Inc.
+1-305-514-2311

[ 03-14-2007: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.