- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Teens break Curfew - Security Issue (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Teens break Curfew - Security Issue
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-26-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We occasionally hear about security problems caused by teens on cruises, well here's some proof posted on Utube by the trouble makers themselves:

Security Problems

Part 2

It certainly makes my blood boil!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 11-26-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is horrible and I have seen similiar incidents on NCL Dawn and Carnival Destiny. And then if you tell the parents they dont care or they can't beleive it's their kids. As a side note I am becoming a teacher so I work part time at this after school program and you can't beleive how the parents act. You tell them their kid did something and they are ready to kill me! I think some people lack accountability these days.
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-26-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I say throw their asses off in the next port of call. This type of video only reinforces my preference for not cruising with large numbers of kids onboard.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-26-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually the videos are so bad I really don't have a clue what the heck is going on.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeremya
First Class Passenger
Member # 5699

posted 11-26-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for jeremya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be politically incorrect to make comments about the participants from this video, but suffice to say, I was not surprised by them. The title of the video is a dead giveaway of the mentality and social class of those who filmed it. Petulant teenagers with no respect or social graces what so ever.
Posts: 377 | From: montreal | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 11-26-2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As kicking moment fore security and the captain. The next port of call even without touching the gangway with there feet a big kick under there ......... And a big claim by the line to compensate the fore ruin the mood of other passengers a/b vessel. And above all a life time ban on cruising fore each and everyone in the group.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 11-26-2006 02:52 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Actually the videos are so bad I really don't have a clue what the heck is going on.

Pam

Oh, I'm relieved. My understanding of English language has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't get what it's all about !

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-26-2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Giving that it is not clear what actually happened I wonder why everone is so upset. One can not see too much in this video.
There is a group of teenagers in an empty public room - and I would not have that much of a problem with that.
As said, they are passengers and as long as they do not disturb anyone (the room seems to be empty) or ruin anything it should be fine. We of course do not know what happened before - but this is why one can not come to any conclusion based on this video.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-26-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Giving that it is not clear what actually happened I wonder why everone is so upset.

Yes it's not entirely clear what has happened, but I thought the video would make an interesting talking point.

I assume that the security guard has good reason to talk to the youths as they have/are making a nuisance of themselves. Yes Ernst, the public room might well be pretty empty, but passengers may have left due to the disruption or are avoiding using it. It could of course be 3.00am in the morning? We don't know.

The above is just my speculation, but the fact is that the youths are clearly not showing any respect (a word they love to use rather than show) and are not doing what they are asked to by the security guard. They are clearly making fun of him. I think the term 'Curfew' is mentioned? The security guard is asking them to leave the area, possibly to go to their cabins?

The youths clearly think it was unfair action from RCI as they posted the video.

The comments on utube are interesting: One person asks "Why are you acting like assh*l*s? The person who posted the video replies"Cause we can, its called having fun a cruise".

For the record RCI rules say: Individuals whose behavior demonstrates: (1) Minor Infractions:....(i.e., making the cruise vacation experience unpleasant for other guests)...and the minor infractions three-step process (Warning, Second Warning, Action) will be enacted.

If numerous minor infractions are noted, the ship's management reserves the right to enact a 1:00 am curfew for all minors 17 years of age and younger, unless they are participating in organized shipboard activities.

[ 11-26-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-26-2006 05:09 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As you say - all this is speculation.
We DO NOT KNOW whether the security guard had a good reason or not - and it is entirely possible that he had no good reason and just been called by some 'picky' passenges - as it is possible that these 'cute' chidren were loud etc.)

The point is :We do not know the time, circumstances or what happened before. All we see is a video where someone is arguing with this guard - this is 'loud' confusing etc. - but I do not see anything IN this video which indicates that these teenagers did something 'frobidden' - nothing justifying some comments above.

Yes, I understand that there is maybe a suspicion that they 'misbehaved' - I also understand why the guard might have been nervous - BUT THIS IS NOT PROOF THAT SOMETHING happened. 'Hanging around' near a swiming pool is no crime - like it or not.

[ 11-26-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-26-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes, I understand that there is maybe a suspicion that they 'misbehaved' - I also understand why the guard might have been nervous - BUT THIS IS NOT PROOF THAT SOMETHING happened. 'Hanging around' near a swiming pool is no crime - like it or not.

Who needs proof? Just where do you think you are living!!!???

I still say throw their asses overboard!

Ernie

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-26-2006 05:19 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Who needs proof? Just where do you think you are living!!!??? [...]

Don't remind me of that.
Editing ship videos all day made me forget.

Nevertheless, just keep it in context - being a bit loud or using a certain language does not constitue a 'crime'. I met many passengers (to stay with ships) whose behaviour I did not like - but this is not necessarily a crime.

We see avideo where they are in a 'loud' (perkily?) argument with the security guard - maybe the guard is right - maybe the children are right and 'defend' themself - but I do not see how they spoiled someone's vacation nor a reason to remove them from the ship.

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 11-26-2006 06:01 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly todays society (at least in the US) does not teach kids, especailly teens to respect their elders. If anything society teaches disrespect. Kids (not all kids) are constantly being disrespected my their elders (not all elders) and therefore they learn to disrespect back. The whole situation is sad. Kids live in a very disrespectfull world and that makes it harder to grow up as a respectfull person.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-26-2006 06:18 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
Kids live in a very disrespectfull world and that makes it harder to grow up as a respectfull person.

Unfortunately it's not just kids that live in a disrespectful world, it's pretty much everyone. We (at least in the Western world) live very much in a "me" oriented society, and the attitude is everyone else can go to hell.

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-26-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
All we see is a video where someone is arguing with this guard... but I do not see anything IN this video which indicates that these teenagers did something 'frobidden'.

Personally I think kids arguing with 'authority' is wrong and is 'forbidden' in my book! I'm not anti-kid, but when I cruise I do not wish to hear a 'gang' of kids (or adults for that matter) arguing with anyone!

Don't you think that videoing the event and posting it on the internet takes it to a whole different level? RCI could hardly post any security footage that may exist, of the kids causing a nuisance (if the kids did) on U-tube, could they?

However, I do agree with you Ernst that we do not know anymore facts than that. So 'end of story', as Pam would say.

[ 11-26-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-26-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were right - maybe not.
End of story.

Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 11-26-2006 06:51 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, has someone recognized the ship where all this takes place ?
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-26-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:
By the way, has someone recognized the ship where all this takes place ?

I believe MARINER OF THE SEAS.

Ernie

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-26-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you expect when you have a generation of teens whose role models can no longer be their part-time parents, but whatever MTV video artist happens to be in the Top 10 or rap artist whose album or songs has the most socially unredemming values. It's all about 'gettin paid', bling, the fastest nicest car, and most off-the-hook clothes and disrespectful attitutes. They seem to thrive off of materialism and disrespect.

The video is very disburbing. Yes, we dont know what what the root cause of the incident. I wish the cruise lines could hire better trained and more authoritative security, and not the poor unfortunate rent-a-cops that patrol the halls and public rooms. I am sure they go through some type of training, but are that trained how to handle roaming bands of American delinquent adolescents?

The fact that the kids laughed at them the whole time, made fun of him behind his back, called him a 'gringo', and flashed 'hood' signs and refused to follow an authorities instructions shows that the rent-a-cop barley garnered, or demanded, any respect with his seemingly laxidasical attitude.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 11-26-2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would not want to be a security guard. The whole situation with todays kids is sad to me.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-26-2006 11:26 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This poor man (the guard) is certainly not the be envied.
No doubt that these kids did not behave as one would expect - but this can happen with in a group of kids (O.K. - not with all kids ) and we of course do not know how it came to that. (maybe they have ben provoked - which is not justifying the behavior but may explain it - remember - we talk about kids!)
Altough this is not adequate - even if the kids were right - it is FAR from a behaviour which would justify to remove them from the ship. (again: this is a bunch of kids!)
Also, 'bad manners' are not good but not always a crime - and again, it's kids we talk about.

Posting this clip on the net certainly brought it to another level - I wonder whether the parents are aware of that.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-27-2006 05:35 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
....refused to follow an authorities instructions shows that the rent-a-cop barley garnered, or demanded, any respect with his seemingly laxidasical attitude.

For much of my career I have worked with British 16 to 18 year olds and upwards. Enforcing discipline is not easy. In general they do not like authority figures and being ‘told-off’. Not all kids are bad of course. However, in a gang, their hormone-fuelled reflex action to being told-off is nearly always to verbally retaliate.

Outside my office was a staircase. Young people would often sit on the stairs en mass blocking the entire stair case. Occasionally I would say “Hey guys, please do not sit on the stairs, you are blocking them”. Their reply would often be something like “Whatever” or “So who the hell are you to tell us what to do”, or simply “F Off”. Rarely did they move without an unpleasant confrontation.

The security guard is trying to solve the problem (or perceived problemm Ernst) in a ‘laid back’ manner and not be over confrontational or too authoritive. The kids are also videoing him!

If he did go in ‘harder’ he would probably get punched. If he tried to defend himself he would be suspended for assaulting a minor – who may be 6ft tall.

It’s an impossible job.

[ 11-27-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-27-2006 12:53 PM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As has been said it is impossible to know what started this incident but i do know that when i was younger if an adult told me to do something i would do it. yes in this case i would have left and yes i may have waited 5 to 10 mins and gone back but i would not have started gobbing off at the security bloke. i am going to guess that he was either Filipino or Nepalese. i did notice (maybe misheard) but one or more of the youths saying '50' to the guy, as i understand this is a racial slur and i am sure if the situation were reversed we would be hearing a lot more about it. In my opinion people on ships must listen to the people in charge just as we all must listen to cabin attendants on planes. if you refuse you are off, simple.
Premier had plenty of similar problems and got around them by offering off duty NY cops free cruises for them and their families in return for a few nights police work (unarmed) seemed to work quite well.

Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-27-2006 01:46 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
50? It almost seems sometimes that every word in the English language is offensive to someone or other if they want it to be. The language evolves daily almost.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-27-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i agree Pam, it does seem that i will soon have to learn another language so as not to cause offense to someone or something somewhere that may find what i say offensive. at the risk of offending someone i will say no more! and if anyone is offended by my assumption that i might offend them by saying they could be offended i am very sorry.. yes all very silly these days isn't it.
Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.