- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Hundreds Ill on CARNIVAL LIBERTY (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Hundreds Ill on CARNIVAL LIBERTY
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 11-16-2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seems that a major outbreak of norovirus has struck the CARNIVAL LIBERTY, currently on her repositioning cruise to Ft. Lauderdale from Rome. Local news reports that loads of people were sick within the first day; some people even were treated by doctors before boarding!

http://www.local10.com/news/10333690/detail.html

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 11-16-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
some people even were treated by doctors before boarding!

http://www.local10.com/news/10333690/detail.html

Rich

Given that every cruise I have embarked on in the past two years (with the exception of a Costa cruise in September) I have had to sign a form declaring that I have not had any symptoms of sickness or diarrhoea in the days prior to boarding, how did Carnival get into the situation described here?

Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said the cruise line hasn't nailed down the origin of the outbreak. However, she added, two passengers acknowledged getting sick in Rome prior to getting on the cruise. ''It may have been those two who were the source, but that's speculation,'' she said.

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 11-16-2006 01:11 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greybeard:

Given that every cruise I have embarked on in the past two years (with the exception of a Costa cruise in September) I have had to sign a form declaring that I have not had any symptoms of sickness or diarrhoea in the days priori]

Were these cruises on Carnival?

Rich

mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 11-16-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is Carnival, remember. These passengers don't have Norovirus - they are nauseated by the decor.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 11-16-2006 01:26 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not Carnival itself, but Carnival-owned Cunard, P & O and Princess, also Fred Olsen
Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 11-16-2006 01:39 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very simple. People lie! Would you say you were sick if you just spent 3 or 4 grand for a cruise?? Nothing to do with Carnival, it's just stupid people with bad hygene, and ALL lines have them.

Sounds like Carnival did all they could to make people comfortable and keep the ship clean. What a nightmare for the crew!

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-16-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunviking82:
[QB]it's just stupid people with bad hygene, and ALL lines have them.

B]

That is so true!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-16-2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that cruise ship close there self-service buffets when they get such an outbreak. Although I enjoy the flexibility of a buffet, at times like these I wonder if they should ever have them. I would imagine they must be one of the main sources of transference, along with stair rails and door knobs etc.?

I can’t remember what ship I was on (old age) but the passengers helped themselves to the plates in the lido-buffet. The plates were stacked in a sprung ‘dispensing device’ so as you took one the next one rose to the top of the stack. However, it was almost impossible to take a plate without touching the one underneath with your fingers! What a poor design.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 11-16-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another 'problem' with self-service buffets, is that literally hundreds of people are handling the same serving utensils. NCL has been a leader in requiring everyone to sanitize their hands before being allowed into line the first time, but there's really no control of people going back for second helpings and odds & ends later on.

Rich

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 11-16-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recently on VOTS you indeed got your plate, silverware,and then handled all the utensils in the food trays. I can remember previously having a crew member hand you all this and they had servers giving out food, these people also wore plastic gloves.
They did promote use of the hand sanitizers upon entry to the buffet,but alas not everyone used them from my observation.
One thing about having them serve you .they had a tendency to overdue the food they put on your plate. Although I had seen some people put so much food on their plates that nobody could ever eat all of it. Gluttons!!!
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 11-17-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These people probably had a cold or stomach ache for all the food thay ate. Now they want to blame it on Carnival to get some money. It's like people who are fat and blame it on McDonalds to get money, they didn't put a gun in your head and told you to eat. The same thing with smoking.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 11-19-2006 05:56 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to one of the hazards of living life on Planet Earth.
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-19-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My brother, who returned today from the Radiance of the Seas, ran across one of the Carnival Liberty passengers while in St Maarten. The CL passenger mentioned that over 1,000 passengers and crew eventually were stricken from the outbreak and 3 had died!

Any truth to that?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 11-19-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1119cruise,0,2079139.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

No mention of anyone dying on this cruise. I believe that if there had been deaths then it would be making national news.

Gordon

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-19-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think so, onboard rumour probably. The CDC boarded the ship at St Maarten and their update as at 17 Nov is here.

Number of ill passengers out of total number of passenger as of 11/17: 519 of 2804 (18.5%) Number of ill crew out of total number of crew as of 11/17: 141 of 1166 (12.09%)

No deaths mentioned and figures lower than previously reported to the press. Still very high though.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Indarra
First Class Passenger
Member # 6005

posted 11-19-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Indarra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Very simple. People lie! Would you say you were sick if you just spent 3 or 4 grand for a cruise??

There is a simple and logical answer to this one. The cruise line should guarantee a cash refund, there and then. The additional operating cost this generates could be met under an insurance-type system, with the cruise line either contracting with an insurance company or carrying its own insurance.

Posts: 274 | From: Tokyo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 11-19-2006 07:55 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:

No mention of anyone dying on this cruise. I believe that if there had been deaths then it would be making national news.

Actually two people did die during the crossing, but from causes totally unrelated to the norovirus epidemic, according to local news reports today.

Rich

RANGERVR6178
First Class Passenger
Member # 3946

posted 11-19-2006 08:07 PM      Profile for RANGERVR6178   Email RANGERVR6178   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another fact is this particular sailing had 10 days at sea (5 of them in a row), so it spread like wildfire.

Leave it to people to blame it on Carnival, just because your not a fan of a successful company dosent mean every problem in the cruise industry is caused by them, and other "angel" lines NEVER have problems.

Posts: 243 | From: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 11-19-2006 08:15 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RANGERVR6178:

Leave it to people to blame it on Carnival, just because your not a fan of a successful company dosent mean every problem in the cruise industry is caused by them, and other "angel" lines NEVER have problems.

Indeed--exactly one year ago on my transatlantic crossing aboard BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS quite a few people got the norovirus (myself included.) I don't know that as many as 700 people got sick, but that outbreak apparently did not make the news, either.

Rich

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-19-2006 08:22 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The blame it appears lies with the group of people who were ill with it in Rome before boarding. Did they declare this? If not, Carnival should perhaps test the waters with a case against those passengers. If they did admit to it.. and Carnival took no action then it's another matter.

I understand if one says on the declaration that you have been ill within a few days of boarding you are sent to the Doctor aboard.. who decides if you need to be quarantined for a few days at the outset [this has been mentioned on a few boards before now] or refused boarding [don't know if that has ever occurred?].

All this is if in fact Carnival do have this declaration for signing on boarding? Like greybeard we have had to sign it on many cruises, but I can't remember all of them. Certainly with NCL & FOCL, but I don't recall doing so on HAL?

It would be hard for people to admit if they had been looking forward to a cruise for so long, but something has to be done to stop this.. my insurance would cover me the other incidentals not within the cruise refund, but I expect many from the US don't bother purchasing it [we have no option but to do so].

I don't think any cruiseline should be blamed for these out breaks.. they do enough extra work to stop the spread when it does occur. All the disinfecting and so on, 2 days off he next cruise for CL, refunds.. it adds up.. the cost of future cruises goes up to cover it.

Pam

[ 11-19-2006: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 11-20-2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
I don't think any cruiseline should be blamed for these out breaks.. they do enough extra work to stop the spread when it does occur. All the disinfecting and so on, 2 days off he next cruise for CL, refunds.. it adds up.. the cost of future cruises goes up to cover it.
I agree, but there is some interesting epidemiological work to be done on this issue (it probably is being done already). The number of big outbreaks does seem to have gone up dramatically in the last few years. It gives the impression of an exponential reaction to an increase in some currently-unknown risk factor. To put it bluntly, what is it about modern cruise ships or cruise ship management that tips a balanced equilibrium over the edge into a catastrophic event (in the technical sense), which is what these outbreaks look like - the closed system, for some reason, falls over the edge.

If someone can isolate the reasons why ships are falling over that edge so much more frequently now, then we'd be a long way forward.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 11-20-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last April while on the Noordam, I went down to the Infirmary to get an antibiotic as I had a sinus infection - doctor wouldn't give me anything, but when the nurse took my temperature she found I had a sligh fever and I had told her that I had a slight case of "the runs". Because of this they quarantined me for 36 hours, thinking that I could possibly have the Norovirus. Turns out I had bronchitis, but I was so sick that I didn't want to leave my cabin.

When I read this statement printed in the Fort LauderdaleSun-Sentinel, I was furious.

Other passengers leaving the Liberty Sunday said they had been ill, but stayed away from the infirmary because they didn't want to be confined to their cabins.

IDIOTS!

I've been on about 3 ships where there has been an outbreak of the Norovirus and fortunately did not pick it up because we took precautions, like always washing your hands, not touching the stair railings and pushing the elevator button with your knuckle not your finger!!

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Cassandra
First Class Passenger
Member # 4505

posted 11-20-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Cassandra   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was an article posted over at MSNBC.com that 3 of the passengers who came on the ship KNEW they were sick, but kept quiet about it. They visited the doctor the next day onboard.

Hence, not the ship's fault - its the passengers.

Posts: 46 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 11-20-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
I agree, but there is some interesting epidemiological work to be done on this issue (it probably is being done already). The number of big outbreaks does seem to have gone up dramatically in the last few years. It gives the impression of an exponential reaction to an increase in some currently-unknown risk factor. To put it bluntly, what is it about modern cruise ships or cruise ship management that tips a balanced equilibrium over the edge into a catastrophic event (in the technical sense), which is what these outbreaks look like - the closed system, for some reason, falls over the edge.

If someone can isolate the reasons why ships are falling over that edge so much more frequently now, then we'd be a long way forward.

Outbreaks occur everywhere.........there are many more cruise ships now,and they are sailing with more and more passengers on board, thus increasing the risk.
The media prefer to report that a luxury cruise ship had problems ,rather than report that a local school had an outbreak.

Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-20-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
[..]

I am sure that there are outbreakes everywhere - but on a ship it is more easily noticed - and I guess not only because they are interesting targets for the media.
A hotel or restaurant spreading an infection (which is not necessarly the fault of the hotel or restaurant) is probalby more difficult to detect than a ship. People come and go all the time - and they are 'spreading out' - whereas on a ship people arrive and leave on the same day - and they e.g. ALL eat in the same restaurant.
An extreme example would be a restaurant at an airport - thousands of people might be infected on one day - but they would only get ill some days later - when they are spread all around the globe - and if this restaurant has been 'infectous' for only one day it might never be noticed.

[ 11-20-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.