- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Another jumper ! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Another jumper !
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 11-05-2006 04:54 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival had another jumper yesterday 11/4.

F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
annnthony
First Class Passenger
Member # 3733

posted 11-05-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for annnthony   Email annnthony   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amazing how many we've had since Carl Hiassen's "Skinny Dip" about 18 months ago!

[ 11-06-2006: Message edited by: annnthony ]

Posts: 315 | From: westwood,n.j.,USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RANGERVR6178
First Class Passenger
Member # 3946

posted 11-06-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for RANGERVR6178   Email RANGERVR6178   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oddly on the Conquest!

Isnt this #4 or 5 in the past year for the Conquest?!

Posts: 243 | From: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cassandra
First Class Passenger
Member # 4505

posted 11-06-2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Cassandra   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone had posted on a blog on the news website (MSNBC?) that the person was drunk & was attempting to climb to the balcony above him because that's where his friend was staying & slipped off.

And people wonder WHY all cruiselines don't allow alcohol brought onboard?

Personally I think the cruiselines needs to start cracking down on the drunks. The bars do it, the police arrest you for it, the cruiselines need to start cutting people off. The heck with passenger happiness.

Posts: 46 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 11-06-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. Its better to have a un happy passenger then a dead one. A ship seems like the dumbest place to get drunk.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
steeplechase
First Class Passenger
Member # 4056

posted 11-07-2006 06:19 AM      Profile for steeplechase   Author's Homepage   Email steeplechase   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What are you two 7 years old? How do you believe that a ship is a bad place to get drunk? What a stupid response, maybe we should halt drinking on shore as people are getting into vehicles and killing themselves. Acruise ship is a perfect place to get drunk and if you fall overboard well the world lost a not so bright person and the buffet line will be alittle shorter. You can't save them all.
Posts: 663 | From: elkton maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 11-07-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruise lines make their most $$$ from all the bars onboard. Just go to any of their web pages and see just how many each ship has. As a perk RCL has their Concierge Club with free drinks and snacks for Diamond and Suite passengers. It was always full!! I might have 1 cool one after a long day but that's it!!! I just can't see the logic in getting drunk and later feeling terrible.Of course heavy drinking is a disease!!
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 11-07-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people even bring their own booze onboard in their suit cases and such that way they can have the hard stuff and not pay full price, cheaper to get drunk that way. But when people fall overboard from doing stuipid stuff like this clown was trying to do i have no sypmathy for and as steeplechase said thats one less in the buffet line.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 11-07-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steeplechase:
What are you two 7 years old? How do you believe that a ship is a bad place to get drunk? What a stupid response, maybe we should halt drinking on shore as people are getting into vehicles and killing themselves. Acruise ship is a perfect place to get drunk and if you fall overboard well the world lost a not so bright person and the buffet line will be alittle shorter. You can't save them all.

Ok let me rephrase myself. Getting drunk is stupid no matter where you are, on land or at sea. You get really drunk just to feel good for a few hours and then wake up the next day feeling horrible. People are dying all the time because they were drunk or someone else was drunk around them and ended up killing them. But I guess thats ok since our all important buffet lines will be shorter. It's interesting to me the way you make it sound like its not a bad thing when someone who is "not so bright", as you put it, dies. The way you make it sound like your time in the buffet line being shorter is more important then somebodys life. I don't really have sympathy for the one who died, but you have to think deeper then that. You have to think about all the other people affected by this guys actions. For exsample if he has kids, they no longer have a fatheror if he's married, his wife no longer has a husband.

[ 11-07-2006: Message edited by: Cunard Fan ]

[ 11-07-2006: Message edited by: Cunard Fan ]

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 11-07-2006 01:31 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:

Ok let me rephrase myself....

I think it was pretty clear that Steeplechase was using sarcasm to make the point that changing the cruise line's alcohol policy would be reactionary move that would have little impact on the overboard incidents and a penalize the majority of cruise passengers who drink responsibly on their cruise vacations.

While these incidents get a lot of attention, they are still very rare when you consider to the millions of other passengers who go on cruises and somehow manage to avoid falling off the ship - even after enjoying a glass of wine or two at dinner.

The point of a cruise ship being a perfect place to drink is actually very true. You can spend the day at the beach, go to dinner, and enjoy a show in the evening without ever having to get in your car. If you want to enjoy a drink along the way, it's certainly a more responsible action than doing the same thing at home where you might be driving.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 11-07-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As watered down as their drinks are, how many did he have, I wonder?? Aren't those bar dispensers programmed to give out only so much???
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-09-2006 02:11 PM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With winter fast approaching here in the northern hemisphere i need all the jumpers i can get...:-]
Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-13-2006 05:13 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is obvious that passengers over the side damages cruise lines reputations when it hits the news. Why dont the ships just employ crew members on watches to stand at the stern and monitor the ships wake 24/7 at sea.

Every navy ship does that and with the amount of crew members to passenger ratio they boast then they can afford to spare someone each hour.

I would hate to think that cruise lines consider their crew above doing menial tasks like that which world navies consider appropriate.

On another note why not develop sonar technology capable of automatically detecting the splash of someone falling in! Navy ships have underwater telephones to communicate with ships and submarines to avoid sending radio/light signals. When turned on you can hear dolphins jumping out and in the water and pinpoint the exact time it happens even at speed. I also saw a documentary once about the Royal Navy testing new sonar equipment to detect underwater divers that pose a threat to ships and the technology does work well.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-13-2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not just a cruise ship issue:See Here
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-13-2006 11:35 AM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
''Why dont the ships just employ crew members on watches to stand at the stern and monitor the ships wake 24/7 at sea.''

the government can employ people to stand on the top of tall buildings and bridges all day long as well. we can also have a policeman for every car, they can stand next to them all day to make sure no one drives drunk.
i would also like to see all food sold everywhere made in liquid form so no one ever needs a knife again, thus stopping people slashing their wrists.
come on if someone wants to check out they will and if someone is so drunk they fall off a ship then sorry but that is just the way life is, or was.

Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 11-13-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
It's not just a cruise ship issue:See Here

I've just heard on the news that they have found the guys missing today from the ferry. They are perfectly alive as those idiots rented a car instead of reporting to their coach. Do they realize the mess they created in the Channel ?

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 11-13-2006 01:50 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
've just heard on the news that they have found the guys missing today from the ferry. They are perfectly alive as those idiots rented a car instead of reporting to their coach. Do they realize the mess they created in the Channel ?

Well, they're saying that they told the coach driver that they wouldn't be getting on the coach. Here's a link to a BBC News page about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6142526.stm

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-13-2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feargus:
''Why dont the ships just employ crew members on watches to stand at the stern and monitor the ships wake 24/7 at sea.''

the government can employ people to stand on the top of tall buildings and bridges all day long as well. we can also have a policeman for every car, they can stand next to them all day to make sure no one drives drunk.
i would also like to see all food sold everywhere made in liquid form so no one ever needs a knife again, thus stopping people slashing their wrists.
come on if someone wants to check out they will and if someone is so drunk they fall off a ship then sorry but that is just the way life is, or was.

Whats this bunch of uneducated sarcastic crap about!

It is the normal part of a sailors job at sea keeping watches!!!!! The Navy places people in that position on a one hour roster 24/7 it is not an extra person paid to do a new job but an extra duty within your normal working hours.

I mention something that the Navy has been doing for hundreds of years as a measure to protect crew even in peace time and we get a child making sarcastic remarks about it. I would love for you to fall off the ship next time you go on one and perhaps you will rethink your childish remarks.

Watchmen duties are NOT only used for lost passengers/crew they monitor for any items of the ship falling off, any vessels approaching from the rear or threats to the ship. If you are going to operate ships then you need watchmen posted at the stern too and not just on the bridge.

Anything that falls offf a ship and could pose a hazzard to other ships has to be recovered such as deck chairs on crusie ships if someone threw them off in a drunken frenzy. I am not too concerned about people who throw themselves off. I am more concerned about proper security measures being carried out correctly. Remember the Seabourne ship that was attacked by pirates of Somalia?? it is incidents like that where watchmen come in handy. Not to mention any change in colour in the ships wake if the ship starts losing oil or any substance that should not be coming out. The watchmen duties are supposed to encompass a wide range of things and are not just limited to jumpers.

[ 11-13-2006: Message edited by: Sutho ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-13-2006 04:55 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruise ships do have watchmen, roving ones, aka Security Guards. There are also plenty of CCTV cameras on most ships. No-one is going to specifically stand guard to watch for the one in x million who wishes to commit suicide. They will do it come what may. The number of jumpers is tiny in comparison to other forms of suicide.

Watchmen on naval vessels seem more interested in me taking photos of them & waving, than anything falling off their ship. I've never seen any vessel other than a naval one with watchmen on the stern. Perhaps in the South China Seas there are some though. They are more concerned with security of the vessel than anyone or thing disappearing overboard.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-13-2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I mentioned above watchmen duties are wide ranging and not just limited to jumpers. It is like killing two birds with the one stone - if you have heard that phrase.

I am not too concerned about jumpers at all. I am more concerned about a procedure that all ships should be carrying out - and did not appreciate that guy above who sarcastically quoted me without thinking rationally about why ships need watchmen.

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 11-14-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've seen people drunk singing Kareoke, thats funny. Apart from that, drinking should be more controled.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-14-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes of course deck chairs in the sea that would pose a huge threat to shipping ! or yes a change in colour of the water could mean she is leaking oil, i would guess you could be talking about stern tube oil? but then the alarm fitted to the gravity tank would let you know that. or good watch keeping practice.
what the navy do, is up to them i have worked with ex navy people from the U.K. Australia, N.Z, Canada and South Africa so please don't think that you are the only person on these boards with any idea. also as for the 'uneducated' part, thanks but having reached the rank of Deputy Chief Engineer on a passenger ship by the time i was 26 years old i have worked in two ship yards as a ship repair manager, my previous job as a marine technical superintendent and now as a technical inspector still in the marine industry. and you? navy, navy, navy and ?

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 11-14-2006 05:06 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feargus:

After reading that particular part of your reply it speaks volumes about your intellect and capacity for reasoning, and it is perfectly obvious how stupid the remark was - and if those qualifications you state you have are correct you have lowered the credability of the agencies you worked for.

As much as I desspise jumpers - they should be rescued as it does more damage to the cruise lines reputation than anything else. Having a watchmen is not just exclusive to watch for jumpers.

I also dont think restricting alcohol consumption will make a difference as it all boils down to the individual and not the drink.

Also you have forgotten the possibility of innicent people who are not drunk or mucking around falling off the ship. I know it is unlikely but stranger things have happened. I am aware of one shipping incident where a man had thrown a woman overboard for not wanting to spend the night with him and she was spotted and rescued - do people like that deserve the chance to be rescued???

feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 11-14-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I have read through your other posts i'm not surprised you now bring up the unlikely event of someone just falling off a cruise ship, please remember we are talking about cruise ships here.
As I am sure you know, crew working on deck on other types of vessels that do have the risk of falling or being washed overboard (fishing trawlers, anchor handlers etc) use tie ons or harnesses to guard against this.
I am glad you would love me to fall of a ship, I do not wish the same on you. your infinite knowledge and boundless wisdom would indeed be a great and noticeable loss to all.
my qualifications are indeed correct as stated. As you seem to like P&O ships I feel it my duty to tell you that it was P&O who gave me training so better for you to cruise with someone else.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-14-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:

I am aware of one shipping incident where a man had thrown a woman overboard for not wanting to spend the night with him and she was spotted and rescued - do people like that deserve the chance to be rescued???

I don't think any rational person would want a person that was thrown off a ship to drown. Now jumping off is another matter-even if they are drunk. To some extent a drunk knows what they are doing and should be stopped if they are caught at the rail and trying to jump. I think that the ship should stop and try to help the poor 'jumper' but there should also be a severe fine for any costs incurred by the cruise line-say an added 'service charge' added towards their onboard account. I would love to see their face when they or their family are presented w/say a $5,000.00 service charge (automatically charged to their credit card of course) for an unscheduled re-route.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.