- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » 1,500 stranded on a cruise ship with no toilets for THREE DAYS

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1,500 stranded on a cruise ship with no toilets for THREE DAYS
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 10-24-2006 04:49 AM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As reported in today's Daily Mirror

Can you imagine anything worse?

By Stewart Maclean

NEARLY 1,500 passengers on a luxury [sic] cruise have been stranded for three days without toilets.

Hundreds staged a protest meeting on the liner Destiny last night after a series of plumbing breakdowns caused "mayhem".

Sources on the Thomson operated ship said a problem with the vacuum system caused all the toilets to stop working on Saturday and later left the 1,450 passengers and 540 crew without hot water.

Thomson chiefs last night hired a team of "super-engineers" to try to fix the system. A spokesman said: "The 10 experts will be working through the night to ensure the problem will be sorted by 6am."

Trouble struck as the liner began a seven day voyage to the Canary Islands and Morocco. Derek Twigg, from West Yorks, on the trip with wife Lorraine, said his 60th birthday celebration had been ruined.

A source said: "The cruise started well and everyone was impressed with the boat - it's a beautiful ship. But suddenly everyone was reporting problems with the toilets and it quickly became clear the whole system was broken.

"For the last three days passengers have had to use toilet facilities in the ports we've visited but a lot of people are starting to lose patience. Then the hot water was cut off too. After that the crew arranged for a team of plumbers to come and try to sort it all out."

Thomson consider Destiny the pride of their fleet. It is their largest with 11 decks, two swimming pools, two restaurants and three bars. A description of the 16-year-old ship on the firm's website highlights its "superb accommodation and facilities".

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-24-2006 06:36 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greybeard:
As reported in today's Daily Mirror

Can you imagine anything worse?

By Stewart Maclean

NEARLY 1,500 passengers on a luxury [sic] cruise have been stranded for three days without toilets.

A description of the 16-year-old ship on the firm's website highlights its "superb accommodation and facilities".

A "luxury liner", as usual...

"16 years old ship"... Was the former Song of America stranded in a sort of temporal distortion during 8 years ?

I'm really feed up with those bad journalists who don't know what they are writting about and who don't even try to get accurate informations.

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 10-24-2006 06:44 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You've got to understand what the story is. It's this:

"No toilets for Brit holidaymakers!"
(or earthier versions - you get my drift, I'm sure.)

Everything else, including all the stuff that interests us, is just filler.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-24-2006 06:50 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They will just have to lay a plank with safety netting under for passengers to do their business over the side!!! Problem solved.
Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-24-2006 07:35 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Safety netting? nah.. a string of some traditional thunderboxes will do nicely failing that I am sure a row of more modern portaloos can be quickly sourced.

Cannot be very pleasant at all... but I do wish the inevitable tear jerker attempts of x birthday, anniversary, holiday of life time stuff was omitted from these reports. Can we not just have facts; I don't care and I am sure half the cruisers aboard don't, about Mr Twiggs 60th, they just want working toilets.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 10-24-2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is London (the website of the Evening Standard) has the story and reader comments. This one is my favourite from 'Jennifer'
-----
They say you get what you pay for. Take a cheap cruise and you get cheap facilities. Cruising wasn't meant to be for the likes of Thomson
customers.
------

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 10-24-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update from the Press Association:

A spokeswoman for Thomson said the cause of the problem had been fixed. She said: "The Thomson Destiny has had some problems with its plumbing system which as a result has affected some of the passenger cabins.

"In an effort to resolve the problems the ship owners have had extra technicians on board. We believe the cause of the problem has now been fixed, and Monday was spent unblocking those toilets that were affected whilst the system was out of action.

"The ship was delayed in Madeira by six hours for this work to be carried out and at 10pm yesterday there were only two remaining cabins left to fix. The ship will arrive in its next schedule port as planned. Thomson apologise to any of its customers that have been affected by this."

A Thomson spokeswoman said today that Destiny had set sail from Funchal in Madeira at 6am today. She added: "The technicians who came on board are happy that all the systems are working well.

"The passengers we have spoken to are happy and do not share the view that there was 'mayhem' on board."

Thomson said there were no plans to offer any compensation to passengers.

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-24-2006 07:32 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, what did someone, possibly a passenger, shove down a toilet causing the blockage?

"Jennifer"... so what is for the likes of Thomson Customers?

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 10-24-2006 10:06 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite lavatory sign ever was on Canberra where all the public toilets had a sign saying "Please do not place cigarettes, sanitary towels or orange peel in the lavatories". My sister and I often wondered what people got up to in the loos!!!!
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 10-25-2006 08:47 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
They say you get what you pay for. Take a cheap cruise and you get cheap facilities. Cruising wasn't meant to be for the likes of Thomson customers. ------ [/QB]

There's probably some truth in that....

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-25-2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that when you pay for a cruise, even if it's cheap, budget and discounted, you may at least expect to be able to do properly your "natural buisness".
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 10-25-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
My favourite lavatory sign ever was on Canberra where all the public toilets had a sign saying "Please do not place cigarettes, sanitary towels or orange peel in the lavatories". My sister and I often wondered what people got up to in the loos!!!!

My favourite was in the washrooms at a place I used to work many years ago. It said: "Please do not put cigarette butts in the urinals. They are difficult to retrieve and almost impossible to smoke afterwards."

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-25-2006 06:02 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the topic of toilets, we saw a very strange sign posted on a w/c in a gift ship in Mexico several years ago. In Spanish it said 'Peepee si, caca no, no caca aqui!'. I won't bother translating.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-25-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a thread on this board called "urinals of the seas" a few months ago ?
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 10-25-2006 09:46 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, don't even go there Pascal...
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 10-26-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When are they going to get sued over all the bladder infections that were probably emotionaly and physicly damaging? It tradition for a line to get sued after something bad happens on their ship.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-26-2006 06:57 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's keep this in context - having NO toilets aboard a ship is not a minor but a major problem. This is certainly something to complain about.
I am very surprised that they continued the cruise.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-26-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Let's keep this in context - having NO toilets aboard a ship is not a minor but a major problem. This is certainly something to complain about.
I am very surprised that they continued the cruise.

Agreed. It's a sanitary hazard. The cruise should have been stopped, the passengers fully refunded and sent back home.

I however hope Thomson provided free buckets for every guest.

mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 10-26-2006 09:53 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

My favourite was in the washrooms at a place I used to work many years ago. It said: "Please do not put cigarette butts in the urinals. They are difficult to retrieve and almost impossible to smoke afterwards."

Brian

Ah, but my favorite was in a fast-food restaurant:

"The same fingers used to remove foreign objects from these urinals also make your sandwiches."

[ 10-26-2006: Message edited by: mrblanche ]

Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Gala Gary
First Class Passenger
Member # 5710

posted 10-27-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Gala Gary   Email Gala Gary   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been on this ship twice as the sunbird and once as the destiny and she has always had toilet problems, youll probably find the the cabin stewards will know how to fix the problem, they did with us.

With reference to it being a cheap holiday, not at all!
you will pay a hundred pounds a day and in my experience you end up paying more because they charge for things you would get free on higher price cruises.

Posts: 34 | From: Scottish Borders | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.