- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » QV & QE2 Tandem Crossing (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: QV & QE2 Tandem Crossing
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-04-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Help - I've had a lapse of memory! What's all this about QV and QE2's tandem crossing in early 2008?

Surely the QE2 is faster and will take the short route? I assume the 'cruise ship' will take a more sheltered route? Do they arrive together in NY?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-04-2006 08:36 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They both arrive on the 13th Jan when Mary's also in. Lizzie could always escape I suppose.
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 10-05-2006 07:24 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because of the time of year, they may both take a more southerly route, but as you suggest, Malcolm,
QE2 could leave QV in her wake.
As the captain of the Statendam ['57] told us on a particularly rough return to NYC from Bermuda, we
will stick with the Cunard Princess in case we need to pick up survivors. Yes, it was that bad. I cannot quite imagine how bad it was a/b the CP knowing what it was on the Statendam which was built for
crossings......

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-05-2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
- One can not come to any conclusions concerning the seaworthiness of QV based on observations of the Cunard Princess.

- I would not be so sure about which ship actually is safer in a storm. Modern ships may be less comfortable during bad weather - but (usually) they are more stable and less prone to capsize. (I know this is also generalizing - but there has been some progress)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-05-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
- One can not come to any conclusions concerning the seaworthiness of QV based on observations of the Cunard Princess.--------------------------------------- but (usually) they are more stable and less prone to capsize. (I know this is also generalizing - but there has been some progress)

Ernst,

I was advised that the QV's sea keeping is a step ahead of the Vista class which is better than the 80's-90's boxboats. QV will eventually take the role of the QE2 for world cruises. At Sea Trade I looked at large scale models of the Vista vs the Destiny and the Vista hull is much finer with a sharper bow than the Destiny.

Malcolm,

I would think they would take a more southerly route since storms beat up the ship, contents inside, and wear down the carpeting with you know what.

[ 10-05-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-05-2006 08:27 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which I still wouldn't be surprised if it's from 2009. Although will she be based her 9 months of the year like Lizzie currently is, or bugger off to FL after 6/7 like Mary does? Anyone know yet?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-05-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand that ships like QV are NOT 'unseaworthy' in a storms, but lack passenger comfort that an Ocean Liner hull offers.

They would also sustain structural damage if they regularly encountered heavy seas.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-05-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

They would also sustain structural damage if they regularly encountered heavy seas.

Which is one reason why Carnival and NCL are rotating their ships out of New York, which was questioned in another thread.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-05-2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's already decided, QE2 won't do a World Cruise in 2008, QV will.
But instead she will do a 102 nights cruise called "South America, Pacific & Orient Odyssey". Not officially a World cruise, but nevertheless something very close.

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-05-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Phasing the old girl out so soon? Tut. LOL!
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-05-2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

Ernst,

I was advised that the QV's sea keeping is a step ahead of the Vista class which is better than the 80's-90's boxboats. QV will eventually take the role of the QE2 for world cruises. At Sea Trade I looked at large scale models of the Vista vs the Destiny and the Vista hull is much finer with a sharper bow than the Destiny.

]

Maybe - but it won't be a day-night difference. I have no detailed information of the present QV design. I only saw things on Vista and the old QV design.

The motivations for the finer lines is probably the higher speed - faster usually have a smaller water plane surface and one wants to shift the center of the water plane surface to the aft - but it is difficult if not impossible to 'see' the sea keeping abilities by just looking at the hull shape - one does not see the mass distribution of the ship and one has to consider the dampening (!) of the different modes (O.K. one can see how 'sharp' the bilge radius is etc.) - this considerably influences the behaviour of the ship in a seaway.

Also, I have been on ships built in the 80ies which behaved very nicely during really bad weather - one can not generalize that.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-05-2006 10:38 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Maybe - but it won't be a day-night difference. I have no detailed information of the present QV design. I only saw things on Vista and the old QV design.................................Also, I have been on ships built in the 80ies which behaved very nicely during really bad weather - one can not generalize that.

Ernst,

Which 80's ships?

You know more than me here. The exhibitors, speakers, attendees at Sea Trade have forgotton more about ships than I will ever know and will believe what they tell me unless it is totally ridiculous. QV is 30' longer at the bow than the standard Vista. BTW I have never sailed a 1980's ship. A good arbiter here is where Lloyds: the insurance underwriter will let a ship sail. I cannot think of any 1980's cruise boat that can do a wintertime North Atlantic.

Hopefully you will come to Sea Trade in 2007 and you can educate me.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 10-05-2006 10:49 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would think that for all their rattling and vibrating, the former Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam could still do a winter NA crossing...
Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 10-05-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Help - I've had a lapse of memory! What's all this about QV and QE2's tandem crossing in early 2008?

Has anyone looked at the Cunard website?

QE2 and QV are advertised as doing a "tandem Atlantic crossing" leaving Southampton on Sunday January 6, 2008 and arrriving in New York on Sunday January 13, 2008.

QE2 could do it faster. QM2 does it in six days.

So QV takes a day longer and QE2 slows down to keep pace with her.

What's the issue?

It's still a darn sight faster than a Transatlantic repo cruise on any other present-day ship you care to mention.

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-05-2006 10:59 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greybeard:
It's still a darn sight faster than a Transatlantic repo cruise on any other present-day ship you care to mention.

It's certainly a darn sight better than cattle-class on an aircraft!

...any idea which NY port will they use? I could not find that information on the Cunard web site.

greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 10-05-2006 11:36 AM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

. ..any idea which NY port will they use? I could not find that information on the Cunard web site.

R*d H@@k ????

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-05-2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They want to show Vicky off with another in the fleet as much as poss. She and Mary arrive back here the same day in April.

Red Hook isn't big enough, is it?

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 10-05-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 could cross in five days, could she not? I think so.
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 10-05-2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:

At 30 knts (her max speed, I think), with no delay, no rough seas, no icebergs, on the Northern route : yes. But it would be very very tight, especialy for an Eastbound crossing.

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-05-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:

Sure she could. Today both QE2 and QM2 have a scheduled service speed of 26 knots when crossing the Atlantic. The original service speed (for a 5-day crossing) for QM, QE and QE2 was 28.5 knots and QM2 had a top speed on her trials of a little over 30 knots. I much prefer the 5-day crossing and the added speed. It is always a thrill to stand on QE2s lido when she is charging along at 28-30 knots.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-05-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

. QV is 30' longer at the bow than the standard Vista.

It the added length simply for looks or does it serve a purpose?

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 10-05-2006 03:31 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It'll be nice to take a picture of the 3 queens together.
Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-05-2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ram Lizzie?
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-05-2006 03:35 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patsy:
Ram Lizzie?

I'd rather see the Vicky rammed in that boxy flat stern!

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 10-05-2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL! Lizzie could sneak up behind her then gain speed. She has the bow to do it!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.