- Ernst's Site
   - Patsy's Site
   - Ben's Site
   - Carlos' Site
   - Chris' Site
   - SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard announced this week that Queen Victoria will enter the Blohm & Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, Germany, earlier than planned in January 2015 for a multi-million dollar refit.The timing of Queen Victoria’s dry dock is being brought forward, as a bearing on one of the ship’s...

Latest News...For the first time, Carnival Pride will operate a series of 10- to 14-day Caribbean cruises round-trip from Baltimore and one-way between Baltimore and San Juan featuring some of the region's most breathtaking destinations, as well as new five-day Bermuda,...

Latest News...When the new Regal Princess sails into Florida this November to begin her maiden Caribbean cruise season, she will debut a new Princess Cruises dining program that will showcase regional culinary specialties designed to reflect the...

More Cruise News...

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Finally some details on QUEEN VICTORIA (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Finally some details on QUEEN VICTORIA
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 11:15 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seatrade insider recently interviewed Cunard's new President, Carol Marlow.

In regards to QV, she stated:
'will be a liner, with strengthened and elongated hull with transatlantic capabilities and will have the traditional signature dining rooms.'

In addition, QV's keel laying is scheduled for the first half of 2006, while QV's marketing launch will begin during the 1Q of 2006.

Marlow also was asked about QE2. She stated 2007 will mark QE2's 40th anniversary, and that QE2 will be able to operate beyond 2010.

When asked about a Cunard three ship operation, Marlow stated:
'I am confident we can fill all three liners and as long as QE2 remains popular and in demand we will continue to operate her.'

I would consider that last statement a big "if". Basically, QE2 could go at anytime if Cunard decides she is no longer popular and earning money. Time will tell.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-07-2005 12:10 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought that the project was cancelled?? I wonder if she will ever be built or completed for Cunard at all.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 12-07-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think she will definitely be built. I wonder if she will have much visual differences from the Arcadia and HAL Vistas. I hope she will end up being a spectactular vessel.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently she will be built, and for Cunard no less. Of course we have seen QV get derailed in the past, so who knows for certain?

It will be interesting to see how her interiors turn out. From the outside I don't think she will look any different then the current Vista Class except be slightly longer, and of course have a Cunard funnel.

Ernie

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 12-07-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I posted some info about this last month but not the same as Ernie. That is postive news. Though there was meant to be an announcement after Christmas. Wonder if there still will be?
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-07-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
'will be a liner, with strengthened and elongated hull with transatlantic capabilities and will have the traditional signature dining rooms.'

Can a modified Vista class really be said to have 'Transatlantic capabilities'? Or do ALL cruise ships have 'Transatlantic capabilities'?

[ 12-07-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 18994 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Can a modified Vista class really be said to have 'Transatlantic capabilities'? Or do ALL cruise ships have 'Transatlantic capabilities'?

Personally, I think it takes more than a strenghtened hull to make a ship a "liner". Of course Cunard is already touting this ship as a true "liner" so we shall see.

GRAND PRINCESS can have a stregthened hull ... that does not make her a "liner". Merely a cruise ship with a strengthened hull ... which is what I imagine QV will be. No doubt Cunard's PR hype will tell us otherwise.

Ernie

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-07-2005 01:44 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

A standard Vista Class ship is not a Transatlantic liner if you compare them to QM2 as an example. The lifeboats are positioned to low, the hull is 1/2" thick plate verses 1" as on QM2 and the engines are not powerful enough for extra reserve speed. Hopefully QV(2) will actually have features of a liner/cruise ship and a family resemblence to QM2.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-07-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....it all sound like 'marketing' talk to me, but I'm no expert.

I think Carnival have finally realised that a mass-produced cruise ship does not really fit the Cunard barnd, so instead of designing another real 'Ocean Liner' which is expensive, they are 'bigging' QV up!

Posts: 18994 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-07-2005 02:42 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

She is saying that all other Vista vessels do not have Transatlantic capabilities, would be hopeless for World Cruises and are purely for pottering about on milk runs They have to make QV different to Arcadia somehow, even the funnel will be the same except colour, otherwise. I thought Cunard had nothing left to do with QV anyway except having it built for them. Didn't all design etc get removed from Cunard's control?

Pam

Posts: 12013 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

Didn't all design etc get removed from Cunard's control?

Pam

Apparently Princess Cruises has sole responsibility for QV now, including the design work. At least that is what I have been reading. Princess is Cunard, and Cunard is Princess so I guess it doesn't really matter?? I just hope Teresa Anderson, the Princess in-house designer doesn't get her hands on QV. We don't need another Princess clone.

Ernie

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-07-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My understanding that the entire Vista class [as is Aurora, NCL Dawn, Radiance] is world cruise sea-keeping abilty. It is better than the Destiny, Soveriegn, and Grand class. They can handle rough weather, but suffer a lot of damage. World cruising standard is not quite a banana shaped hull liner.

I would venture to say the QV will have a longer sharper bow and a Constanzi stern to better handle the Force 6 and higher oceans. Hope they get the dining room away from the stern and midships where it belongs.

My experience is the transom sterns tend to lift the props out of the water in the swells and not do well in a following sea. The blunt bows slam against the waves.

quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

She is saying that all other Vista vessels do not have Transatlantic capabilities, would be hopeless for World Cruises and are purely for pottering about on milk runs
Pam

Posts: 5692 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-07-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Desirod I was just kidding in reading behind her comments. However they still would not be able to continually pound back and forth across the Atlantic.

Pam

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 12-07-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
lasuvidaboy wrote:
I thought that the project was cancelled??

and...

quote:
Thad wrote:
I think she will definitely be built.

and...

quote:
eroller wrote:
Of course we have seen QV get derailed in the past, so who knows for certain?

Why some much doubt? I have previously posted many times that QUEEN VICTORIA was ALREADY being built (in two phases). A forward (bow) section has been (or just about) completed, and as you noted Ernie the keel laying will happen before mid-year 2006. Next inline at Marghera should be CARNIVAL FREEDOM, and I can only guess that work will start on QV’s keel when this latest Carnival vessel is floated out for outfitting.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-07-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was trying to find the previous thread bulbousbow to link in, but wasn't able to locate it. [CT keeps sticking on connecting to the ad sites tonight and messes up any searches.]

Pam

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 07:06 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:

Why some much doubt?

Not that we ever doubted you, but the fact is there has been very little in print regarding QV, at least not officially. You hear this and hear that, but rarely anything in the way of an official press release. This coupled with the fact that the last QV was suddenly transferred to P&O has created a credibility issue with this ship. Also keep in mind that Cunard touted the first QV as a ship with "liner qualities". As it turned out, she was nothing more than a HAL Vista Class with a restaurant stuck on top. Are we to believe the second QV will be different, based on Cunard's track record?

I'm still not 100% certain this ship won't end up at P&O at the last minute. It's happened before.

Ernie

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-07-2005 07:48 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm still not 100% certain this ship won't end up at P&O at the last minute. It's happened before.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. My only niggling thought is if they had a 2nd sister, and it was not AO, the same situation as with Adonia/Oceana may occur? I am not sure they could sustain a further AO vessel.

Pam

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 12-07-2005 08:18 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
eroller wrote:

Ernie, you are entitled to your opinion, but why would Carol Marlow (of all people) make such an announcement if it wasn’t true?...and I’m referring to the thicker hull plates and the liner bit. What cruise line besides Cunard would a (transatlantic) liner suit...P&O? I wouldn’t think so.

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 12-07-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam, this is one thread: Queen Victoria Question, which will also lead to another: Question for Onno. There are possibly one or two more where I made a reference, but I cannot remember which ones.

I'll try and see what more info I can get. It won't be easy since even Carol Marlow couldn't disclose more details.

Cheers

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ernie, you are entitled to your opinion, but why would Carol Marlow (of all people) make such an announcement if it wasn’t true?...and I’m referring to the thicker hull plates and the liner bit. What cruise line besides Cunard would a (transatlantic) liner suit...P&O? I wouldn’t think so.

Cheers

I have no clue who Carol Marlow is? I know nothing about her except she is the new President of Cunard. Suddenly I'm to believe everything she has to say?

Regardless, when did I ever imply that anything she stated wasn't true in my previous post? You seem to have fabricated that all on your own. Basically, I gave you reasons why people have been skeptical about QV, and they are all valid reasons. Sure the "new" QV will have thicker hull plating, but at the end of the day she is an HAL Vista Class cruise ship.

I have no doubt the ship will be built with a thicker hull and so called "liner qualities" ... whatever they may be. So what. The previous QV (now sailing as ARCADIA) was also promised to have "liner qualities". What did they turn out to be? Absolutely nothing.

Could a ship with a thicker hull benefit P&O? Absolutely! In case you haven't noticed, P&O likes to offer rather long round trip cruises to the Caribbean from England. This means making an Atlantic crossing in each direction. A ship with "liner qualities" would certainly benefit a line like P&O.

You seem awfully defensive about QV. I think I made my case quite clear in my previous post as to why there may be credibility issues with QV and Cunard.

Ernie

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-07-2005 09:50 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Could a ship with a thicker hull benefit P&O? Absolutely! In case you haven't noticed, P&O likes to offer rather long round trip cruises to the Caribbean from England. This means making an Atlantic crossing in each direction. A ship with "liner qualities" would certainly benefit a line like P&O.

Ernie

IMO Carnival Corp. will assign the ship to whatever division they feel will benefit the most. Hopefully if completed, she will be part of Cunard Line.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

IMO Carnival Corp. will assign the ship to whatever division they feel will benefit the most. Hopefully if completed, she will be part of Cunard Line.

Agreed. Apparently Carnival felt the last QV would generate more revenue at P&O. I also hope this new QV finds it way to Cunard (no last minute brand changes). Cunard can't continue to operate as a two ship fleet forever. I think it's time for them to expand market share.

Ernie

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 12-07-2005 11:32 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
eroller wrote:
I have no clue who Carol Marlow is? I know nothing about her except she is the new President of Cunard. Suddenly I'm to believe everything she has to say?

Ernie, you don’t have to believe anything anyone says, but the way I see it, it would be very irresponsible for a president of a company to blabber false statements.

quote:
Regardless, when did I ever imply that anything she stated wasn't true in my previous post? You seem to have fabricated that all on your own.

No fabrications anywhere.

quote:
I have no doubt the ship will be built with a thicker hull and so called "liner qualities" ... whatever they may be. So what. The previous QV (now sailing as ARCADIA) was also promised to have "liner qualities". What did they turn out to be? Absolutely nothing.

I can’t recall how much was said previously about the first intended QV (now ARCADIA), but this time a statement has been made that she will have the capabilities of a transatlantic liner, see Marlow’s statement: 'will be a liner, with strengthened and elongated hull with transatlantic capabilities and will have the traditional signature dining rooms.'.

quote:

Maybe so, but P&O does not do North Atlantic crossings in mid-winter, unless Carnival decides that P&O should rival Cunard, which I think would be a stupid move. There is also the question of the extra expense of building a ship for transatlantic purposes and then deploying her on itineraries that other P&O ships can serve. To me that is a waste of engineering and money.

quote:
You seem awfully defensive about QV.

Call it the way you want, but the fact is (as it stands), she is being built and she will be a Cunarder (that one day will be QE2’s substitute).

Cheers

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ernie, you don’t have to believe anything anyone says, but the way I see it, it would be very irresponsible for a president of a company to blabber false statements.

Oh I don't think Marlow is a liar by any means. She is stating what she knows *today*. That is no different then what occurs in any large corporation on any given day. Marlow is in charge of a division and not the corporation. Her capacities are limited. Tomorrow Micky Arison may decide that QV has more revenue opportunities over at P&O or some other Carnival Corp. brand. We have seen this before at Carnival Corp. so it shouldn't come as a shock.

quote:

Maybe so, but P&O does not do North Atlantic crossings in mid-winter, unless Carnival decides that P&O should rival Cunard, which I think would be a stupid move.

Who is to say that QV will do mid-Winter crossings? She may do one or two, but I'm doubtful QV will be put into regular transatlantic service. I think that will remain QM2's role, even though many sailings don't go out full (even with heavy discounting). The transatlantic market is very limited and I don't envision more than one ship in the role. If anything, in the future we may see far fewer scheduled crossings, and more cruising. I might also add it's not just the North Atlantic that experiences rough waters in the Winter. In fact the South Atlantic does as well, which are the waters that P&O ships ply to the Caribbean.

quote:

Call it the way you want, but the fact is (as it stands), she is being built and she will be a Cunarder (that one day will be QE2’s substitute).

Probably so, but that remains to be seen. The last QV was also being built and even promoted for Cunard, but somehow ended up at P&O. The first QV was even pictured in the brochures and on the Cunard website. Here today and gone tomorrow. Basically I'm stating that anything is possible, and I'm not so quick to get sucked into the Cunard PR machine.

Ernie

[ 12-07-2005: Message edited by: eroller ]

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 12-08-2005 02:04 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I attended a marketing meeting in Sheffield on Tueaday evening (6 December) hosted by HPI Research Group, on behalf of Cunard. It was aimed people in their late 50's / early 60s who had considered cruising with Cunard, may in fact have gone on a cruise, but had not done so with Cunard. (They probably built the group around names, etc, of people who had requested brochures but who had not subsequently made bookings.)

Most of the session was about people's perception of Cunard generally, but it went onto the ships, and finished off with a few minutes about Queen Victoria. We were handed a few pages of what appeared to be a mocked-up brochure extract about the Queen Victoria: a picture of the ship, some 'facts & figures', and then some artists' impressions of how she might look internally.

I didn't pay much attention to the latter, but the introductory stuff was very interesting. As regards appearance, as far as I could see (and recall) the external image was very similar to Arcadia - the same tiers of balconies, the same interruption midships, etc. The 'shot' was from off the bows so it wasn't possible to get an impression of the stern. There was a statement that she was going to be 90,000 tons or so. Then there were some statements about intended use. As well as the obvious ones, eg World Cruise and Transatlantic Liner service, there was one other particularly interesting one: 'Mediterranean Fly-Cruises'. I thought that was very revealing. If it turns out to be true, then QV is (in part at least) seen as a way for Cunard to get a slice of the high-end Mediterannean market, eg the area occupied presently by Celebrity, etc.

[ 12-08-2005: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2006 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.