- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Seabourn Spirit attacked by Pirates off Somalia (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Seabourn Spirit attacked by Pirates off Somalia
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 11-05-2005 07:29 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
It does not look 25' to me, and what was the guy with the stick going to do?
Maybe they had plans to scuttle some weak-sided, inflatable rubber dinghies?

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 11-05-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The security staff on our recent Pacific Princess cruise from Bangkok to Capetown,through these waters, were also Gurkahs,both male and female.

When asked, the Captain would neither confirm nor deny that weapons were caried on board,nor whether the stafff were armed,however he went on to say that they were prepared for ANY eventuality.

They also had the sides of the ship floodlit each night,and if you went for a stroll at this time a pair of Gurkahs would appear,at a discreet distance.

Looking at the size of the boats in the picture,I cant imagine them coming from the shore,if as reported they were 100 miles off the coast.

Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 11-05-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to only post accounts which haven't already been detailed in previous articles. Hope this fits the bill:

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=66857&pt=n

Excerpts:

Solicitor Norman Fisher, 55, from Hampstead Garden Suburb in north London was onboard the Seabourn Spirit 100 miles off Somalia in Africa when the attack from small boats took place.

The first many bleary-eyed passengers knew of the dawn raid was when captain Sven Erik Pedersen came on the PA system and said: "Stay inside, we`re under attack."

Terrified passengers, including 18 from Britain, were told to go to the restaurant as the sound of the grenade and gunfire from two 25ft rigid inflatable boats filled the air.

"I was awake doing some work when I heard what sounded like a crack from outside at 5.50am," said Mr Fisher.

"I looked out of the window and saw a small boat with about five people in it about 20 yards away.

"One of them clearly had a rifle. Later I realised that two of them had rifles and one had some kind of rocket launcher.

"They were firing the rifle and then fired the rocket launcher twice. One of the rockets certainly hit the ship - it went through the side of the liner into a passenger`s suite. The couple were in there at the time so it was a bit of an unpleasant experience.

"Fortunately they weren`t hurt but you can just imagine what it would have been like if they had been standing up because obviously the cabin was very badly damaged.

"I only saw one boat, although the captain said there were two. At first I didn`t know what was going on, but when I saw the rocket launcher I started getting a bit scared."

Mr Fisher went on: "I suppose I had a little bit of adrenaline, particularly because I was trying to take photographs.

"Afterwards, particularly when I looked at the photos and realised the guy was loading the rocket launcher right in front of me, which I hadn`t seen with the naked eye, then you do feel a certain amount of tension about what might have happened."

[...]

"The captain didn`t sound the usual alarm because he was worried that people would run up on the deck thinking it was a fire, and that would be the worst place to be," Mr Fisher explained.

"Instead he made an announcement at five past six, saying: `Stay inside, stay inside, we are under attack`.

"Then he told us to go the restaurant in the middle of the ship and wait.

"The atmosphere in the restaurant was a little tense. People were pretty good and they weren`t panicking, but one or two were certainly looking nervous," Mr Fisher said.

"Most people were wearing dressing gowns and were quite bleary-eyed. Some sat on the floor for extra safety and others sat in the chairs. After a while they started bringing in water and coffee for us.

"The captain came in at about 6.30am and explained what was going on and said he was reasonably confident we had lost them. Of course he got a massive round of applause."

He added: "It was all a very surreal experience - not the kind of thing you expect on a cruise."

kroozlover
First Class Passenger
Member # 4105

posted 11-05-2005 08:21 PM      Profile for kroozlover        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cambodge for you "insight" into what Fox News Channel. I am sure you think CNN and the New York Times report the news fairly and are not "garbage" channels. Obviously another left leaning individual who is "angry"
Posts: 17 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 11-05-2005 08:40 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were (at least) two Gurkas aboard "Rembrandt" on a cruise we took through the pirate-infested waters between Baltimore and Halifax. There were no incidents, proving that this type of security is effective.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 11-05-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. What do you really think of Fox New(s) Channel??
Oh I watch it regularly. It reminds me, when I was a kid, that sometimes we would go to the zoo to "see the animals fed."

They occasionally encounter facts, and when they do, it is a sight to behold! They sort of wrestle them to the ground, like the Crocodile Hunter Guy on another cable channel.

The decibel level of their "fair and balanced" commentary is about 50db above the threshold of pain. Their ability to shout down a hapless guest who may differ with them, is legendary.

But it fills a distinct niche in my viewing habits, I wouldn't be without it. True comedy may be found in strange places.

[ 11-05-2005: Message edited by: Cambodge ]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 11-05-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
The decibel level of their "fair and balanced" commentary is about 50db above the threshold of pain.
Masochists know no limits, it seems.

I'd like to note that out of all the videos posted to this thread, FOX's three-minute bit is the most fact-filled and substantial of 'em.

But, nah, it was obviously fabricated garbage... we all know that facts scare FOX anchors. Probably because they're too busy continuously celebrating their domination of US cable news (and of course practicing their best 'breathy' voice). [Insert derision against the average US citizen here to explain FOX's #1 position -- zing! ]

I find it humorous how any major news-making cruise-related event mentioned on these boards is almost guaranteed to draw a smattering of divinely-crafted, astoundingly subtle and oh-so clever zingers from the anti-FOX crowd. Their work, it seems, is never done (inferiority complex, perhaps? ). It's so droll it's almost too much to bear without falling out of my seat in bouts of sympathetic laughter.

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-06-2005 06:14 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Calls for action following cruise liner attack
November 6, 2005

There have been renewed calls for international action against piracy after a luxury cruise liner carrying hundreds of tourists was attacked off the east coast of Africa.

The Seabourn Spirit was 150 kilometres off the coast of Somalia and on its way to the Kenyan port of Mombassa when the pirates fired a rocket-propelled grenade and machine guns.

There were 19 Australians on board, but only one crew member was injured during the attack.

A spokesman for the London-based maritime organisation NUMAST, Andrew Linington, says the area where the attack took place in the most prone in the world.

"Ship owners are very afraid to report the attacks because their ships get held up while investigations take place and things, so they lose money because of that," he said.

"Many, many of the attacks actually never make it to the official records, so we know there's many, many more attacks than there actually are."

ABC News Online

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-06-2005 06:51 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As Somalia does even appear to have an effective ruling government, there isn't really much that can be done with their assistance. Although there is Reuter's report from 14 Oct which states:-

"The Somali government, struggling to establish authority at home, pleaded for international help watching its coast and financing and training its own coast guard.

"(Piracy) is a serious and dangerous new phenomena that is unfolding on the high seas of Somalia and is in fact a threat to all maritime vessels from the Red Sea to the southern tip of the Indian Ocean," it said."

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-06-2005 06:54 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is also a MARAD advisory from 28 Oct, stating that all vessels should remain at least 200nm from the East coast of Somalia.

Pam

jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 11-06-2005 10:24 AM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From The Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17161175%255E2702,00.html

It's interesting to read how desperate the pirates were. They apparently sent out an SOS after the attack in an attempt to lure the ship back to them:

American woman Edith Laird said the skipper "and the rest of his crew did a wonderful and amazing job getting us out of the area as fast as possible".

"We had no idea that this ship could move as fast as it did and he did his best to run down the pirates," she said. "The 'mother ship' for the pirates sent a false SOS that the captain decided to ignore after the attack," she said.

Mr Fisher said after the attack was beaten off: "The captain came in at about 6.30am and explained what was going on. He said he was reasonably confident we had lost them. Of course he got a massive round of applause."

Along with the 19 Australians, there were 48 Americans on board, 22 Britons, 21 Canadians, 19 Germans and six South Africans.

The other passengers were mostly from other European nations, Mr Good said.

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 11-06-2005 04:18 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jsea:
From The Australian:

The Australian

It's interesting to read how desperate the pirates were. They apparently sent out an SOS after the attack in an attempt to lure the ship back to them:

American woman Edith Laird said the skipper "and the rest of his crew did a wonderful and amazing job getting us out of the area as fast as possible".

"We had no idea that this ship could move as fast as it did and he did his best to run down the pirates," she said. "The 'mother ship' for the pirates sent a false SOS that the captain decided to ignore after the attack," she said.

Mr Fisher said after the attack was beaten off: "The captain came in at about 6.30am and explained what was going on. He said he was reasonably confident we had lost them. Of course he got a massive round of applause."

Along with the 19 Australians, there were 48 Americans on board, 22 Britons, 21 Canadians, 19 Germans and six South Africans.

The other passengers were mostly from other European nations, Mr Good said.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 11-06-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
from The Australian

Missile 'embedded in cruise ship'

November 07, 2005
AN unexploded missile is embedded in an accommodation unit after a possible terrorist attack off the east African coast, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has said today.

The passengers on the US-owned Seabourn Spirit were woken by machinegun fire and a rocket-propelled grenade crashing into the vessel at dawn on Saturday about 160km off the coast of the lawless nation of Somalia.

The luxury cruise ship is about to dock in the Seychelles, but Mr Downer said that could be delayed while officials disarm the unexploded ordnance.

"We're not sure whether in the early stages the ship will be able to tie up at the wharf there because of concern about an unexploded rocket that is embedded in some of the passenger accommodation of the ship," Mr Downer told the Nine Network.

"American officials are going to board it initially to deal with that problem, and once that problem's dealt with then our consular officer will be able to go on board as well."

The attack was believed to have been carried out by pirates, but Mr Downer said it may have been a terrorist act.

"The whole thing is an extraordinary story, that it would be attacked by, we're not quite sure who at this stage, but it's possible the people who attacked the ship were terrorists," he said.

Mr Downer said it was not known exactly how many Australians were on board, with 13 named on the ship's passenger list and another six who were thought to have joined the cruise.

The ship, with more than 300 people on board, was on its way to the Kenyan port of Mombasa where it was due to pick up more passengers, including Australians.

Those Australians will now be met by a consular official from Australia's embassy in Nairobi.

The passengers awoke about 5.30am on Saturday to the sound of gunfire as two armed vessels approached the Seabourn Spirit.

The 7.5-metre inflatable boats approached the vessel and fired as their occupants attempted to get on board the liner.

Seabourn Spirit was not boarded, managing to outrun the attackers and change its course.

One member of the crew was slightly injured before the attackers were repulsed, a London-based Seabourn Cruises spokesman said. The crew member was reportedly hit by flying debris.

The ship has 161 crew members and 151 passengers.

The company said the ship, registered in the Bahamas, sustained minor damage and was safe to sail.

Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 11-06-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Satire.

Excerpts:

As the two 25-foot inflatable boats approached the liner crew members reportedly sank one with a small caliber pellet gun, yelling out "Splash one inflatable!" and hi-fiving each other, at which point the other inflatable turned tail. "Funny, adds Whittaker, they were the first pirates I've ever seen wearing Coast-Guard approved life vests beneath their bandoliers."

Elbow Lard, of Seattle, sent an email claiming that her daughter spotted the pirates out of their window, err, porthole, with a brass telescope. "One had a hook instead of a hand, and several of them had eye patches. They certainly looked like Pirates of the Carribean, even though we were sailing in the Indian Ocean, where one would expect savages wearing chaps, headdresses and riding war ponys, or at least jet skis.

[...]

According to an unnamed "Industry Official" Norwegian Cruise Lines plans to counter Carnivals "Pirates" marketing strategy with a "Gilligan's Island" scenario in which a signal fire is first spotted, and then survivors of a shipwreck are rescued from a deserted island. The rescue will reportedly include a rich curmudgeon and his wife, a pompous b-rate actress, a professor, an overweight captain and his goofball first mate.

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-07-2005 05:30 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aussie tells of cruise liner attack
November 7, 2005

An Australian tourist who was on board the cruise liner which was attacked off the coast of Somalia at the weekend has described his experience.

An unexploded rocket-propelled grenade remains embedded in the American-owned cruise ship.

The Seabourn Spirit, which has 151 passengers on board, is now off the coast of the Seychelles and US military officials are working to disarm the grenade.

Men in two small boats fired rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns at the cruise ship, about 160 kilometres off the coast of Somalia on Saturday, but the vessel managed to take evasive action.

One of the 19 Australians caught up in the attack was Bob Meagher.

Mr Meagher began taking photographs of the pirates before noticing that one of them was shouldering the grenade launcher.

"There was a flash of flame and then a huge boom, a terrible boom sound," he said.

"I've never heard anything like it.

"It was where the rocket-propelled device had hit the metal of the ship, just about 10 feet from where we were standing.

"So it sort of went on the deck above us."

Mr Meagher says the captain of the vessel tried to thwart the attack by manoeuvring the ship and creating waves to destabilise the pirates.

"The remarkable thing was after they had ridden up on top of one of those waves and gone sort of down in the trough they popped up again," he said.

"At that stage there was a guy loading a large orange rocket into this rocket launching device and that was the rocket that we saw explode and hit the ship."

ABC News Online

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-07-2005 05:35 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Terrorists may be behind cruise liner attack: Downer
November 7, 2005

Australian consular officials have spoken to the 22 Australians who are on board a luxury cruise liner that was was attacked off the east African coast on the weekend.

The Seabourn Spirit is now anchored three kilometres off the Seychelles.

All the Australians on board are safe, however one crew member was injured in the attack that occurred off the coast of Somalia.

During the incident, people using a rocket-propelled grenade and machine guns fired on the liner.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer says authorities have not ruled out the possibility the attack was carried out by terrorists, who were targeting Westerners.

"If they were pirates who wanted to take the ship they wouldn't have used that methodology," he said.

"If they were terrorists who wanted to kill people on the ship - and it's not an American ship, it's a ship that's registered in the Bahamas - but it's based in Miami, and so there was presumably a supposition that it was an American ship."

Mr Downer says the Seabourn Spirit is a reasonably big ship, "so attacking it, even if you've got a rocket propelled grenade, and taking the ship over that seems to me to be a little improbable".

"But damaging the ship and killing people, which might have been their motive, that's something they could have easily done if the rocket propelled grenades had worked properly."

Pirates are not uncommon off the Somali coast, but typically they target freighters that carry only a handful of crew members.

This week, the London-based International Maritime Bureau said it knew of 27 pirate attacks off Somalia since March.
Unexploded missile

Mr Downer says an unexploded missile remains embedded in the cruise liner.

The US military is trying to defuse the grenade and Mr Downer says the ship will not be allowed to dock until it is disarmed.

"Two rocket-propelled grenades were fired at the ship, one of them hit the stern of the ship and bounced off and the other one lodged into some of the passenger accommodation but didn't explode," he said.

"So there are some American military people there, dealing with that problem."
New trend

A maritime law expert says the attack on the cruiser could indicate the start of a new trend of pirates targeting passenger ships.

Frances Hannah from the Queensland University of Technology says she doubts the attack was the work of terrorists.

She says the attack bears the hallmarks of previous acts of piracy.

Ms Hannah says cruise ships could be seen by pirates as easy targets.

"Commercial vessels are increasingly getting defences that repel the pirate invaders as they are about to come on board," she said.

"I gather this vessel had a similar type of defence already fitted, but perhaps some passenger vessels wouldn't be as well defended."

ABC News Online

Cheers

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-07-2005 06:10 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A somewhat irresponsible header by ABC imo Bulbousbow. Talk about scaremongering, especially considering the other comments made further down.

These pirates are no more than desperate bandits, out to attack anything that passes within their reach, for whatever booty may be available. They probably had no idea this was a cruise ship either, just a vessel on the go. Their 'boats' are not sophisticated, and neither are they or their weapons.

Why was Seabourn Spirit in this area anyway; MARAD warnings issued prior to this incident, state vessels should be no less than 200nm from the east coast of Somalia. She was it appears only half that distance off shore.

Pam

Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 11-07-2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are many problems with pirates before the Somali coast.

In fact, I think, but should chech, they are for th emoment three crews hijacked of ships bringing help supplies to Somalia.

The situation is so bad, i think, that help organisations are thinking about stopping sending ships with much needed supply materials to Somalia because fo the problems, and they are trying to bring in the supplies by road, though it is much more costly.

The Somali coast has always been dangerous, don't forget Achille Lauro sank there, and there are some very dangerous cliffs or islets (Socatra ?) where many ships on the route to the East Indies have been wrecked.

Still, it must have been frightening.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-07-2005 07:20 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
PamM wrote:
A somewhat irresponsible header by ABC imo Bulbousbow. Talk about scaremongering, especially considering the other comments made further down.

I wonder who influenced our Foreign Minister to say they may have been terrorists. I hope it wasn't me.

Cheers

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 11-07-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look at the photos of the small boats. Could they have come the reported distance to the ship from shore bases? I doubt it. Probaly launched from a "mothership" somewhere. Said vessel could be reasonably simple to locate and placed under surveillance, by satellites and such. Then it would be appropriate for "somebody" in an armed patrol boat to pay them a visit.

BTW, Pam, although your point is well taken, it reminds me of hearing a radio comic, shortly after the Pearl Harbor in 1941 or '42. Playing the part of a blowhard isolationist Republican Senator (of whom were many in the Congress until Pearl Harbor), he intoned "And, may I ask, WHAT was Guam doing in the Pacific anyway!"

mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 11-07-2005 10:58 AM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
I have just watched a most-uninformative coverage of this incident on Fox News. For the benefit of those outside the USA, Fox is a loud, right-wing, pretty-much "garbage" channel, sort of like the lower class Brit tabloids. But occasionally they are worth viewing."

Interesting, isn't it, that the "uninformative coverage" has turned out to be the most accurate, so far?

Fox has many failings, but "right wing bias" is not one of them. I must say they are MOST annoying to listen to, but not because of what they say. They have constant LOUD sound effects when a new window opens or some other on-screen event takes place, and those sounds make it very difficult to listen to on radio, which I do (on Sirius satellite radio).

Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 11-07-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

...Why was Seabourn Spirit in this area anyway; MARAD warnings issued prior to this incident, state vessels should be no less than 200nm from the east coast of Somalia. She was it appears only half that distance off shore.

Pam

Wondering if any planned world cruises will pass through this same area, and if so, will they alter their routes after this incident?

Also, are there other areas of the world where "pirates" prey on ships of any kind?

Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
seabourndt
First Class Passenger
Member # 2154

posted 11-07-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for seabourndt   Email seabourndt   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
not the same area as the spirit but we are going fron athens through suez then right after passing tip of somalia to maldives. not heard anything changuing the itinarary. i guess we should be ok. THE FUNCHAL TO AUSTRALIA.
Posts: 224 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
seabourndt
First Class Passenger
Member # 2154

posted 11-07-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for seabourndt   Email seabourndt   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HI IAM GOING ON FUNCHAL THIS WEEK FROM ATHENS TO AUSTRALIA VIA SUEZ NOT HEARD OF ANYTHING DIFFERENT AFTE PASSING SOMALIA MALDIVES
DAVE

Posts: 224 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Royal Caribbean Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4310

posted 11-07-2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Royal Caribbean Cruiser   Author's Homepage   Email Royal Caribbean Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
someone said something about the ships comming up on Radar.. on some news channel (i cant remember if it was ABC, CBS, or NBC..) they said the ships were fiberglass boats, so they wouldnt come up on radar. and yes im sure there was a "mothership" out there.. 100 miles is way to far for a small ship like that.
Posts: 66 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.