- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Ship classes (Vista, Voyager etc) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Ship classes (Vista, Voyager etc)
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 07-20-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there a list of the various "classes" of cruise ship anywhere on here?

What I'm after is a list of (say) all the Vistas, Voyagers etc. I know not all ships fall into a particular class like this, but many do.

In particular, is P&O Aurora one of a particular class?

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 07-20-2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sread:
Is there a list of the various "classes" of cruise ship anywhere on here?

What I'm after is a list of (say) all the Vistas, Voyagers etc. I know not all ships fall into a particular class like this, but many do.

In particular, is P&O Aurora one of a particular class?

Here a list fore the Vista's ore the vessels based on this class. The class is build fore Holland America, P&O, Cunard.

HAL:
m.s. Zuiderdam 2002
m.s. Oosterdam 2003
m.s. Westerdam 2004
m.s. Noordam 2006

P&O:
m.s. Arcadia 2005

Cunard:
m.s. Queen Victoria 200?

The m.s. Aurora don't belong to a class of ships, here design is based on the m.s. Oriana but they are not sister ships.

The Vista's are based on the
Carnival Spirit 2001.

m.s. Westerdam at here maiden home port call. Rotterdam 31 july 2004.

Greetings Ben.

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 07-20-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Ben (Maasdam), that is exactly what I'm seeking. Any more classes and contents gratefully appreciated!
Steve

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Commodore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1575

posted 07-20-2005 12:04 PM      Profile for Commodore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Voyager of the Seas Class
Voyager of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas

(in chronological order, I think...)
Hope that was of some help to you.

Posts: 1106 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-20-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Radiance Class

Jewel of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Vision Class

Enchantment of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Voyager Class

Adventure of the Sea
Explorer of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-20-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Then there's the

Holiday Class

Holiday
Jubilee
Celebration

Fantasy Class

Fantasy
Ecstasy
Sensation
Fascination
Imagination
Inspiration
Elation
Paradise

Destiny Class

Carnival Destiny
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Victory

Spirit Class

Carnival Spirit
Carnival Pride
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle

Conquest Class

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Pride

I think anyway

Pam

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 07-20-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Radiance Class

Jewel of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Vision Class

Enchantment of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Voyager Class

Adventure of the Sea
Explorer of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Pam,

tough not done by RCI the Vison class is not really a class. The Legend / Splendour are not only shorter and faster but have a different layout, whereas the more similar other for were built in two different yards (like the Vista/Spirit or Millenium/Radiance class).

Greetings

Ernst

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-20-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RCI call them all 'Family' rather than class, the "Vision Family". I just copied from the website. Forgot the

"Sovereign Family"

Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas

Pam

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 07-20-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 was called a prototype, no one (except Carnival) knows if QM2 will be a one of a kind or if spin offs will be created for other brands in the Carnival empire. If so then we could also speak about the QM2 class.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-20-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'Freedom of the Seas' must be a class? 'Freedom' class?

I think the term 'class' must be a fairly recent term applied to ships. For example were the Royal Viking Sisters (Black Watch, Boudicca etc.) called a 'class'?

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 07-20-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there are some more:
Sovereign Class- Sovereign,Majesty,Monarch(RCI)

Radiance Class- Radiance,Brilliance,Serenade,Jewel(RCI)

Voyager/Eagle class-Voyager,Explorer,Adventure,Navigator,Mariner(RCI)

Fantasy Class-Fantasy,Paradise,Imagination,Fascination,Sensation,Elation,Ecstasy,Inspiration(Carnival Corp)

Destiny Class- Carnival Destiny,Carnival Triumph,CarnivalVictory(Carnival Corp)

Jubilee Class--back then(i think)- Jubilee,Holiday,Tropicale(Carnival Corp)

Spirit Class- Carnival Spirit,Carnival Pride,Carnival Legend,Carnival Miracle.(Carnival Corp)

Conquest Class-Carnival Conquest,Carnival Glory,Carnival Valor,Carnival Liberty.(carnival Corp)

Princess- Grand Class- Grand,Golden,Star,Caribbean(altho they say thats a seperate class)

Coral Class-Coral Princess,Island Princess

Diamond Class-Diamond Princess,Sapphire Princess

Sun Class-Sun Princess,Dawn Princess,Ocean(Oceana) Princess,Sea Princess(ex Adonia)

Celebrity-Millenium Class- Millenium,Infinity,Summit,Constellation

Century Class-Century,Galaxy,Mercury

Horizon Class-Horizon,Zenith

Costa-Atlantica Class- Costa Atlantica,Costa Meditereanea(sp)

Fortuna Class-Costa Fortuna,Costa Magica

Costa Romantica,Costa Classica

CostaAllegra,CostaMarina

Costa Tropicale(ex Tropicale)

Anyone who is willing can add to the list.
NB: Ships in various classes are not necessarily in the order of there build yr.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Commodore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1575

posted 07-20-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Commodore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
'Freedom of the Seas' must be a class? 'Freedom' class?
I think the term 'class' must be a fairly recent term applied to ships. For example were the Royal Viking Sisters (Black Watch, Boudicca etc.) called a 'class'?

Surely. Though I hope they don't overdo it. A duo or trio at sea together might make for a nice picture, but anymore than that- and it would like a lot more like a rental car fleet than a cruise line fleet.

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: Commodore ]

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: Commodore ]

Posts: 1106 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 07-20-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam u got there b4 me
[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: cruiseshipluver ]

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: cruiseshipluver ]

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-20-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Commodore:
like a rental car fleet

Exactly, I like that analogy Alamo Ships Rentals.

"Ma'am, For $65m you can have an upgrade to a full-size vessel, it might suit your purpose better?".... "No thank you, the Economy Vessel suits me fine"

<Goes out to berth A16, to find a free upgrade to full-size >

Pam

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 07-20-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think of "class" more broadly. For example, I would consider Carnival Destiny and Carnival Liberty both "Destiny-class" ships. Sure, Liberty is a stretched version with an extra deck of the original Destiny design, but Liberty is a design based on the same prototype ship.

The same is true for Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess. As well as Voyager of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas. I simply don't think the designs are different enough to be considered a whole new class. They are variations of the same class all based on the same prototype ship.

Here are some more classes:

Sun-class: Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Ocean Princess (Oceana)

Crown-class: Crown Princess (Aida Blu), Regal Princess

Coral-class: Coral Princess, Island Princess

Nor. Star-class (Originally Libra-class): Nor. Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pride of Hawaii

Nor. Sky-class: Nor. Sky, Sun

S-class: Statendam, Ryndam, Veendam, Maasdam (and later variations) Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam.

[ 07-20-2005: Message edited by: Fairsky ]

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 07-20-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In my opinion two ships are not a class - they're a pair.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 07-20-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
In my opinion two ships are not a class - they're a pair.

Yes. The question is: Do ships of a class have to be as similar that they may be called sister ships?

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 07-20-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I rather like the rarely used term "half-sisters" - which could for instance be applied to Bremen and Europa, Lusitania and Mauretania, the Saxonia Quartet and the original two Cunard Queens.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-20-2005 02:40 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some lines however refer to their fleet as 'sister ships' eg on the bottom the the Black Watch Daily News it says "Our Sister Ship Black Prince is in xxxx today".

Pam

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 07-20-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, let's take a shot at defining (unofficially) some terms.

Sisters: Two or three ships of the same design. Example, the Royal Viking Sea, Sky, and Star.

Prototype: The first ship launched of a particular design that serves as the basis for future identical or modified ships. Example, Grand Princess was the prototype for later modified versions including Diamond Princess and Caribbean Princess.

Class: Four or more ships derived from the same prototype design. These ships may have some modifications, but are easily identifiable as having the same prototype. Example, Voyager-class includes the prototype Voyager of the Seas, the Navigator with its modified balcony design, and Freedom of the Seas which is a lengthened Voyager-class ship. Also, Vista-class ships.

Family: Multiple ships sharing many mechanical and structureal commonalities but with enough differences to visually set them into separate classes. Example: Festival's Mistral (1999) served as the mechanical basis for multiple ships each with significant visual differences including RSS Voyager, MSC Lirica, and MSC Opera. Also, RCI's Vision-family.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-20-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
I rather like the rarely used term "half-sisters" - which could for instance be applied to Bremen and Europa, Lusitania and Mauretania, the Saxonia Quartet and the original two Cunard Queens.

I would consider the QM1/QE1 1st cousins.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 07-21-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Conquest Class

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Pride

Pam, its not Carnival Pride, but Carnival Valor.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 07-21-2005 04:20 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone -- what a great response!
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 07-21-2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will just add to this that, contrary to what I read above, Costa Atlantica and Mediterannea aren't a distinct class but belong to Carnival Spirit class, just like Costa Magica and Fortuna which are in fact Carnival Destiny class ships.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 07-21-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:
I will just add to this that, contrary to what I read above, Costa Atlantica and Mediterannea aren't a distinct class but belong to Carnival Spirit class, just like Costa Magica and Fortuna which are in fact Carnival Destiny class ships.

i can agree with this...their hulls are technically Spirit Class....even there superstructure.....they only hav a different funnel and clours......and as for Fortuna and Magica, they are destiny class...u can clearly see.the designs being borrowed thruout the cruiselines.
cruiseshipluver

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.