- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Costa Magica’s décor 'tacky’, says Stelios Haji-Ioannou (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Costa Magica’s décor 'tacky’, says Stelios Haji-Ioannou
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-27-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Haji-Ioannou: sue me
June 27, 2005

EASYCRUISE founder Stelios-Haji-Ioannou and Carnival Corp chairman Micky Arison are exchanging angry emails after Haji-Ioannou offhandedly called the Costa Magica’s décor 'tacky’ on Sky TV. According to a copy of the emails obtained by Fairplay, Arison chastised Haji-Ioannou for the remark and for “putting out misinformation about our industry”, adding: “Although, based on what I’ve seen of your ship, you’re an expert on what’s tacky.” Haji-Ioannou offered Arison a chance to defend the Magica on the Sky series, and if “that is not enough redress for you and you still believe that my comment was libellous, then feel free to sue me. I am sure everyone will have a lot of fun watching the courts trying to define the meaning of the word ‘tacky’.” Until now, the two executives’ relationship has been cordial, with Arison treating the EasyCruise newcomer to lunch last March, but as Haji-Ioannou now puts it: “I guess we will not be having lunch anytime soon? I suppose my honeymoon in this industry is over and I better prepare for battle.”

Fairplay

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 06-27-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree. I was just in the Costa Magica last month and it was tacky IMO. It was a nice ship but its very "plasticy". But I knew what to expect. I know that Costa has become the Carnival Cruise Lines of Europe.
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Meldrew of the Seas
First Class Passenger
Member # 5298

posted 06-28-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Meldrew of the Seas   Email Meldrew of the Seas   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So Stelios (of easyCruise fame) is calling Costa "Tacky".

Do the words "Pot", "Kettle" and "Black" spring to anyody's mind?

By the way, how do you find the (orange) lifejackets on (equally orange) easyCruise One?

Posts: 71 | From: Southport, UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 06-28-2005 09:58 AM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well Stellios has got a point, I think the new Costa ships are plastic superficial kitsch too and an insult to real italian design. It seems to me they were designed mainly for the American back up market. I would wish Carnival would leave this Vegas kitsch on their side of the Atlantic. Considering QM2 they can do a nice job if they want to.

However, having seen pics of Easyjet, I can't say I like it either....it reminds me of a low cost cross channel ferry.

I am curious to see how this brawl contininues, but Stellios had exactly the same fight with KLM years ago.....

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-28-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stellios is just generating publicity.

Carnival, Easycruise are both 'tacky', so what, it sells!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Corey H.
First Class Passenger
Member # 5202

posted 06-28-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Corey H.   Email Corey H.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the Easycruise is MUCH more tacky than the Costa Magica. Costa Magica in my opinion beats Easycruise in everything.

Corey

Posts: 172 | From: TAMPA Florida USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-28-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cruisincorey13:
I think the Easycruise is MUCH more tacky than the Costa Magica. Costa Magica in my opinion beats Easycruise in everything.

Easycruise is low cost and designed to be minamalist. I doubt if any of the passengers are under any illusions that is anything more than 'basic'.

Costa Magica is not budget and is designed to look 'classy Italian', Carnival style.

At least Easycruise is not pretending to be something it is not.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Corey H.
First Class Passenger
Member # 5202

posted 06-28-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Corey H.   Email Corey H.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found Costa to be much less American than Carnival but thats probaly because I am an American, but everyone seemed to be having a great time

-COREY

Posts: 172 | From: TAMPA Florida USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 06-28-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This from a man who paints a ship orange?
Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-28-2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This from a man who paints a ship orange?

Orange is bold, orange is a statement, orange is ... orange. You may not like orange. But orange is not tacky.

[ 06-28-2005: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-28-2005 01:20 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Malcolm, easyCruise makes no pretentions about what it isn't. I think it's hilarious that these 2 had this banter. Both ships are tacky imo, but serve different purpose, so not comparable.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-28-2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Easycruise is a new approach to run a cruise ship. It might have to much orange in it, but it is for sure not as tasteless and disgusting as most cruise ships are - it`s just very simple.
On the other hand I guess the recently built Costa ships are - from what I have seen on photos and on TV - an extreme example of badly decorated ships - a shame for the Italian shipbuilding tradition.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 06-28-2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with what you all said. COSTA MAGICA and all the "Carnival" Costa ships are tacky and pretends to be Italian when its really Vegas.

EasyCruises are not ashamed to market their product as "low-cost" and minimal. Even the orange is being marketed.

IMO, Stelios won hands down. I wonder what round 2 will look like?

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-28-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
You may not like orange. But orange is not tacky.

Many 'tacky' cruise ships combine Orange with Purple.

I rest my case!

BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 06-28-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. I've seen pix of the interior on the web site, and it wasn't pretty for the most part (I could live with the atrium, but how many people spend their entire cruise there?). Clearly the revenge of Joe Farcus,

[ 06-28-2005: Message edited by: BigUFan ]

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 06-28-2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look out what you say over Orange its an fine color. It unite my country under the Royal house off Orange.

HELIOS he is on his 1000st fight with an industry leader. First KLM and now Carnival.

Someday he found his equal and looses his batlle. O i hope so. He's an iritating little man

Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sealeg claude
First Class Passenger
Member # 5565

posted 06-28-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for sealeg claude   Email sealeg claude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,
It's sad when a man' s only means of attracting
attention, play up his product and reach a market
area is by downing everybody else around him, disdaining other products and antagonize other
players in the same market areas.
As many of you have already alluded to, Haji-Ioannou's reputation precedes him, follows him, and, one day, will be the very source of his commupance.
Sad that, with a wealthy Daddy born before him as his only claim to fame, he would feel so inferior as to only be in a good mood when dragging others down to his level.
IMO anyways....
Arison, at least, did not allow himself to be THAT
derisive of others, and acheived his success primarly on his own clock, not by disdaining everybody else's....Again, my opinion...
Cheers
CG

Posts: 173 | From: vancouver, b.c. Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 06-28-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well every since carnival had a hand in Costa u were seeing the proliferation of that extra glitz in especially the new builds...but i am not suppriseed that yall say that costa magia is tacky, if she is then wat about her slightly older twin sister?????
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-28-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Malcolm wrote:
At least Easycruise is not pretending to be something it is not.

True, but why did Stelios have to make that remark about Costa Magica? I would like to know if anyone other cruise executive has said things like this in the past? I doubt it very much. Stelios is an up-start, he has barely just started in this part of the travel industry and should have a little more respect. I agree with you sealeg claude!

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-28-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ernst wrote:
...an extreme example of badly decorated ships - a shame for the Italian shipbuilding tradition.

We all know who to blame for the interior design.

As for Italian shipbuilding, I doubt this would put any dent in their tradition, just take a look at the mega and super yacht industry and you'll know what I mean, no tackiness there. As for shame, I would rather you have said, shame on Costa Cruises, who (falsely) have to uphold the Italian tradition.

Cheers

[ 06-28-2005: Message edited by: bulbousbow ]

Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 06-28-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think over time things change in apperence. What the italian tradion used to look like might need to be changed. I think they did the interiors of magica and other carnival(costa) ships for the future of what the italian people might look for.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 06-28-2005 11:57 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruisintoday14:
I think they did the interiors of magica and other carnival(costa) ships for the future of what the italian people might look for.

You mean what they hope Italians will look for?

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-29-2005 12:45 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
cruisintoday14 wrote:
I think over time things change in apperence. What the italian tradion used to look like might need to be changed. I think they did the interiors of magica and other carnival(costa) ships for the future of what the italian people might look for.

I agree that tastes over time can and do change, but I think most Italians (and some Europeans) have been relating to Joe Farcus’ interiors for some time. Italians are not (always) as conservative as the northern Europeans in their use of colour and design, Italy is the home of the ‘carnevale’ and things ‘burlesque’, so the Costa (Carnival Corp) newbuild interiors wouldn’t be too surprising or out of place. On the otherside, of course, you have MSC Cruises, who have approached their interior design in a more conservative manner.

Cheers

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 06-29-2005 01:01 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

At least Easycruise is not pretending to be something it is not.[/QB]

Oh yes they do, he have try to set Easy cruise in the cruisemarket as an cruiseline. His product is in no way that. Looking at this company, it's looking to an ferry operator. Only his fleet (1) is not able to transport 1 car.

He talks about a cruiseline and he's not.
You cane board the vessel inn every port, i would say it's another form off ferry transportation.

Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 06-29-2005 01:38 AM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Carnival Costas are the worst offenders, if only because they were preceded by ships of such stunning interior design. The pre-carnival ships had smart, chic interiors a world away from the glitz of what came after.
Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.