- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Arcadia vs Oceana - 'Freedom Dining' alternatives!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arcadia vs Oceana - 'Freedom Dining' alternatives!
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-26-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, 'vs' is too strong a word (though maybe not).

I recently got the new 2006 P&O brochure, and my wife & I (new cruising converts) been studying both it and their website very carefully. We've found out some interesting things about the new dining option, 'Freedom Dining'. Basically, although the same term is used for both Arcadia and Oceana it seems that something rather different is meant for each ship:

a) on Arcadia the Freedom conept will be implemented via a complete self-service approach. The Belvedere Food Court 'will be serving a selection of self-service Grill, Italian and Oriental dishes throughout the the evening. Passengers can simply go along any time they like.' (website quote.) No reservations (no need for them), no table bookings.

b) on Oceana, Freedom dining will be delivered via a Plated Service in the Ligurian restaurant. Diners can call an on-board number (each day, I think) to make a reservation. If they haven't made a reservation then they can just turn up and efforts will be made to seat them asap, though the website points out that 'there is a bar nearby where they can enjoy a drink while they wait...'. It won't be possible to make any booking for Freedom Dining until after embarkation. The menus in the Ligurian restaurant will the same as in the Adriatic restaurant which will be operating in the traditional way ('Club Dining').

I can see some attractions in the Oceana concept - thinking back to our cruise on Sinfonia, there were a couple of times when we hurried back to the ship to be there for our dinner sitting. Being able to let that slip by 30 minutes or an hour might have been welcome on a couple of evenings. But I can't see the attraction of the self-service approach on Arcadia - that's just going to be a repeat of the lunchtme scrum at dinner time.

And here's another interesting point: the expected dress code. I know that Arcadia and Oceana are (going to be?) a little less formal than the other P&O ships, but I would guess that there will still be at least one formal night in a two-week cruise. Yet on their website P&O firmly state ' .. whether passengers have opted for Club, Select or Freedom dining, all dining venues and bars on board will adhere to the dress code for the ship for that evening'. I really, really can't see that using a self-service restaurant - queueing up with your tray, finding a table, clearing away the previous occupants' rubish - is going to provide any kind of satisfying experience on a formal night.

Freedom Dining is introduced on Oceana from 31 March 2006, and on Arcadia from 7 April 2006.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-26-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

Like most British cruise line P&O’s customer base is the grey-pound and rather traditional in nature. However, P&O are well aware that in a decade many of those passengers will have embarked on their final journeys. Therefore there is a need to attract a younger crowd, even if it is the 40 and 50 somethings, rather than 60 and 70’s. Of course this is difficult to achieve without upsetting the regulars and traditionalists.

The need to attract younger people probably explains the addition of glitzy ships to the P&O fleet.

I’ve not tried any form of ‘Freestyle’ dining myself, but I always pick the late sitting in order to not have to rush and shower after the port of call.

The only people that generally do not seem to like the ‘Freestyle’ variants offered by NCL etc. are those that have never tried it.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-26-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Interesting.

Like most British cruise line P&O’s customer base is the grey-pound and rather traditional in nature. However, P&O are well aware that in a decade many of those passengers will have embarked on their final journeys. Therefore there is a need to attract a younger crowd, even if it is the 40 and 50 somethings, rather than 60 and 70’s. Of course
this is difficult to achieve without upsetting the regulars and traditionalists.

The need to attract younger people probably explains the addition of glitzy ships to the P&O fleet.

Interesting point, and well-put! This is exactly the situation that Holland America Line has found itself in over the past few years!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 06-26-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, how much tackier can Carnival go with "Freedom Dining"? Sounds like the same as "Freestyle Dining" if I know almost nothing about cruising....
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 06-26-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh-oh. They're using the word 'freedom'. Silly jingoists, trying to stir up business by invoking patriotic themes.
Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Meldrew of the Seas
First Class Passenger
Member # 5298

posted 06-28-2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Meldrew of the Seas   Email Meldrew of the Seas   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

The only people that generally do not seem to like the ‘Freestyle’ variants offered by NCL etc. are those that have never tried it.

Sorry Malcolm but I must disagree. I have cruised with Princess several times: the first two cruises were "personal choice" dining and the food and service was poor.

Third Princess cruise we booked second sitting dining: the food and service was just as bad. Seated by 8.30 we never got our starters before 9.15.

The kitchen cannot cope with the massive influx of diners at peak times so standards drop. We, at 8.30 were served AFTER the personal choice dining room because there is a rush to get the PC passengers seated, fed and out, in order to seat more at the same table.

Traditional fixed dining on Royal Caribbean we have found to be far superior...... and even on Carnival ("Butlins with a propellor") the food and service was way superior to Princess on every occasion.

I've just returned from Arcadia and whilst most dinners were ok, breakfasts and lunches were very poor and the gal dinner was the worst I have ever had! The Belvedere food court on Arcadia is massive and characterless and you can walk half a mile to get a meal.

By the way, we are 30-something and 40-and a bit, and no grey hairs yet.

If P&O aren't careful they will only differ from EasyCruise by the colour of the ships.

Personally, Since Carnival took over, Princess have gone downhill faster than Jack & Jill, and P&O are following rapidly. All my future bookings are now with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Posts: 71 | From: Southport, UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 06-28-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you mean the gally cannot cope with the influx of passengers? All galleys on all ships can cope. I really think your member name is accurate (for the benefit of non-British members, Meldrew is a character from a sitcom here - famous for being a misguided, opinionated, snobbish, opinionated old fart)
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 06-28-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was surprised to see P&O use "freedom" rather then just using the "personal choice" tag line used by Princess.

Things are changing in the cruise industry and many want to choose when and where to dine. While I am a fan ( and only 39 thank you ) of traditional dining, Princess now that the bugs have been worked out has done a fine job of offering both options on her ships.

As for Princess going down hill since Carnival took over, I completely disagree. We left princess after our experience on the Grand prior to Carnival. They seemed to be trying to service everyone's tastes and doing a bad job of it. Food was so so, service cold, entertainment bland. We have been back 3 times after a 2 year absense and since Carnvial, Princess has found themselves again. Service is again among the best, dinner has 5 courses again and the food even in the buffet areas has improved. Entertainment, especially Paino Man is actually worth seeing.

I am not a fan of Carvinal Cruiselines and most likely will never sail with them, but Carnival Corp has brands to fit everyones tastes now. Marketing at it's best, change or be left behind.

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-28-2005 10:26 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Working in the cruise industry for the past 27 years, shoreside, on-board, and now selling cruises, I can say that food quality and service is the most subject component of any cruise.

You can survey everyone at any particular table on a given cruise, and get wildly varying reports. Some people are relatively easy to please and will report excellent; other passengers may have impossibly high expectations and will criticize everything in the dining room.

Personally, I feel that, with the abundance of choices for every course on any modern cruise ship, it's hard to believe that someone will find fault with everything. Granted, this is a highly personal topic, given everyone's individual taste, but for the past few years, the majority of my clients (and myself, too) have reported that the quality of Carnival has risen to be comparable or even superior to that of Royal Caribbean's. There seems to be a levelling-out of the food product.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meldrew of the Seas
First Class Passenger
Member # 5298

posted 07-07-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for Meldrew of the Seas   Email Meldrew of the Seas   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mec1 should perhaps refrain from throwing insults until he can understand the difference between criticism based on comparisons between various products and simply moaning about everything in sight.

If he thinks my screen name is appropriate, perhaps his is too: it means absolutely nothing.

Linerrich: your points are valid. However, I comment upon Princess "personal choice" after three cruises on different Princess ships and comparing the common experience on these to several more cruises with other operators.

I could also talk about the several things that Princess do better than other lines, but the subject of this thread is the food, not the entertainment, bars, pre & post cruise arrangements, or in particular the wonderful views from the stern bar & jacuzzis on the Princess "Grand" and "Sun" class ships compared to the feeling of being enclosed on Royal Caribbean and the lack of quiet deck bars on Carnival.

I feel that my expectations are similar on every cruise I go on: I find some lines do some things better and some things worse. Good thing too, otherwise all ships would be the same (as I suspect Carnival would like) and cruising would be duller for it.

For what it's worth, my top 3 list currently:

Entertainment
1: P&O, especially Aurora (but not Arcadia)
2: Princess
3: Carnival
4: Royal Caribbean

Pools
1: Princess
2: Royal Caribbean
3: P&O
4: Carnival

Pre & Post Cruise Arrangements
1: Carnival
3: Royal Caribbean

Cabins
1: Royal Caribbean
4: P&O

Crew
1: Royal Caribbean
2: P&O Aurora but definitely not Oriana
4: Princess

Service beyond the call of duty
1: Carnival

8: Royal Caribbean
9: Princess
10: P&O

Numbers 2 to 7 are deliberately missing as Carnival crew really tried their best on every occasion there was a slight problem.

Posts: 71 | From: Southport, UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.