- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Sea Princess - latest

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sea Princess - latest
OceanVoyager
First Class Passenger
Member # 5585

posted 04-28-2005 08:56 AM      Profile for OceanVoyager   Email OceanVoyager   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, a couple more photos for you, the 1st is Sea Princess in her last day in dry dock, once again, look in the background, guess what that is??!!
Also uploaded a photo of the "movie under the stars" attached to the funnel.

Sea Princess departed from the dry dock early, and proceeded to go on some sea trials. I didn't know this, so to see her sail past where I live last night was quite a surprise!
I am lucky enough to have a water view from where I live, nothing quite like the smell of the sea on a summers evening! The photo I took from home won't upload for some reason, I keep getting an error message, so I'll try again later.
B Rgds,
Andrew

Posts: 627 | From: Hythe, Southampton, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 04-28-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing those pics OceanVoyager

I have a question as to why on the Funnel do you always get to see the silver exhaust pipes exposed on the tip of the funnel ?, how come the white grill/mesh is not raised to the top of the silver exhaust pipes as well...........just curious
Regards Linedan

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-28-2005 09:41 AM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
Thanks for sharing those pics OceanVoyager

I have a question as to why on the Funnel do you always get to see the silver exhaust pipes exposed on the tip of the funnel ?, how come the white grill/mesh is not raised to the top of the silver exhaust pipes as well...........just curious
Regards Linedan

Linerdan, if the did this, the white grills would be dirtied all the time.......those grill work on the funnels of most of Princess' new vessels are intricate work....and i dont think that the crew would want to be jorneying to the funnel to clean and the paint away the silt and emission remains too regularly.how many ships do u know that doesnt have the exhaust pipes projecting over the top of the funnel?
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 04-28-2005 09:49 AM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess MUTS (Movie Under the Stars) is a real hit. I wonder what the time table is for the rest of the Princess Fleet to it added. Currently Caribbean, Grand and now Sea Princesses have it.

I will experience in 2 weeks on the Caribbean for myself. . can't wait to get away for a week!

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-28-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OceanVoyager:
once again, look in the background, guess what that is??!!

B Rgds,
Andrew

ummmmmm....for sure it looks like a Sun Princess class vessel.......hmmmm so if the one closest to us is Sea Princess ex Adonia........i am not seeing no sea witch of the ships funnel.....so it cant be Dawn.cuz Dawn is on her way to Port Everglades...Sun princess is at sea at the moment...and so is Oceana...but the funny thing is Oceana's webcam is not communicating..and her next port is Vigo with is in Spain and is close enough to So'ton......so my guess is Oceana!!!
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-28-2005 10:31 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even though I do not like having that huge movie screen overlooking the lido, Princess did a good job with it's design.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
OceanVoyager
First Class Passenger
Member # 5585

posted 04-28-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for OceanVoyager   Email OceanVoyager   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is indeed Oceana!
Have experienced the "Movies under the stars" on Caribbean Princess, its a great idea, I certainly enjoyed this novel feature.
One afternoon I was swimming whilst watching Finding Nemo!
Andrew

Posts: 627 | From: Hythe, Southampton, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 04-28-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Even though I do not like having that huge movie screen overlooking the lido, Princess did a good job with it's design.

Are you joking- the thing looks horid! The Sun-class ships were the only ones left in the Princess fleet with a mildly attrative funnel- and now it has this aweful appendage on the front. It looks as awkward and out-of-place as the rock climbing walls added to the RCI fleet... only this is far worse. It takes the most interesting feature of the ship, the funnel, and butchers it.

MUTS may be popular- but retrofitting the entire fleet has ruined what little elegance in appearance the Princess fleet had left. Now we've got cannons, jet pods, and giant screens all hanging off their funnels... long gone are the elegant lines of Royal Princess' funnel- lines befitting the name "Princess".

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 04-28-2005 02:07 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, OceanVoyager, for all the pictures over the last 2 weeks. They've been much appreciated by many.

Talking about incidental interesting sights, I collected a few of the webcam shots this afternoon when Sea Princess was sailing out of Southampton:-

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 04-28-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Note: If you must link to an image from our photo gallery from another board please at least link to the page the image is on instead of the image itself. That way at least the CruiseTalk member will get some credit.

Lately I have been getting lots of links from certain other boards that link directly to images on the server or in the photo gallery. It's rude and annoying...

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-28-2005 03:00 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanx for posting the pics Globaliser........i spot QM2 in So'ton
according to the webcam Sea princess is on her way to Vigo in Spain, perhaps to refuel????
cruiseshipluver

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-28-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:

Are you joking- the thing looks horid! The Sun-class ships were the only ones left in the Princess fleet with a mildly attrative funnel- and now it has this aweful appendage on the front. It looks as awkward and out-of-place as the rock climbing walls added to the RCI fleet... only this is far worse. It takes the most interesting feature of the ship, the funnel, and butchers it.

MUTS may be popular- but retrofitting the entire fleet has ruined what little elegance in appearance the Princess fleet had left. Now we've got cannons, jet pods, and giant screens all hanging off their funnels... long gone are the elegant lines of Royal Princess' funnel- lines befitting the name "Princess".

I just think it could be worse. They incorporated some of the funnel's grill design into the monitor's structure. I hate Princess adding those screens but IMO it could have been worse design.

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-28-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Linerdan wrote:
I have a question as to why on the Funnel do you always get to see the silver exhaust pipes exposed on the tip of the funnel? How come the white grill/mesh is not raised to the top of the silver exhaust pipes as well...

and...

quote:
cruiseshipluver wrote:
...if the did this, the white grills would be dirtied all the time.......those grill work on the funnels of most of Princess' new vessels are intricate work....and i dont think that the crew would want to be jorneying to the funnel to clean and the paint away the silt and emission remains too regularly.how many ships do u know that doesnt have the exhaust pipes projecting over the top of the funnel?

That’s one reason, it may be also a regulation stipulated by the IMO (International Maritime Organization). If it isn’t, I think it should. This way by looking at the exhaust pipes you’ll know exactly where the smoke is coming from, what colour it is, etc. Opinions?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 04-28-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funnel designs are also extensively tested in wind tunnels to determine what design functions best at diverting smoke away from the ship at different wind speeds and directions.

The common use of extended pipes above the funnel structure may simply be due to their simple and effecient design. Although some notable recent ship do not have this feature (QM2, and of course Carnival ships have their famous wings).

cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-29-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Although some notable recent ship do not have this feature (QM2, and of course Carnival ships have their famous wings).

yea, that is true.....in the Whale tails of Carnivals ships..but i one looks closely at the wings on all of Carnival's ships it would be apparent that the outter most part of them both on top and underneath......are verydirty from the diesel emmsions and whatever else goes out thru the funnel.....why do they get dirty..simply cuz the pipes dont project far enough outside the wings.

as for QM2, i think her emmisions are alot cleaner than Carnivals ships so her funnel wouldnt be that dirty so fast. But QM2 uses diesel/electric generally and the Gasturbine for additional power wen she needs higher speeds?
cruiseshipluver

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 04-29-2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a challenge- how many (currenly sailing) ships can you find that have funnels WITHOUT exposed pipes at the top AND no "birdcage" like vented structure.

We've already named QM2 and Carnival's wings. I I can add Deutchland, Pacific Sky, and Oriana.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-29-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here's a challenge- how many (currenly sailing) ships can you find that have funnels WITHOUT exposed pipes at the top AND no "birdcage" like vented structure.

We've already named QM2 and Carnival's wings. I I can add Deutchland, Pacific Sky, and Oriana.

The modified QE2 style stack that was originally built for Queen Victoria did not have those awful exposed exhaust pipes. When the stack was modified for her new role as Arcadia, the side shields were extended upwards and those huge silver pipes installed. Could be that since she lost her Cunard style wind scoops, she needed the pipes for exhaust to clear the aft decks.

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-01-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pictures from ShipSpotting of the SEA PRINCESS....the MUTS unit in front of the funnel spoiled the shape of her

Aft View

Side view

[ 05-01-2005: Message edited by: Keitaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 05-01-2005 02:26 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Keitaro -- thanks for posting those photos.

Two comments:

1 - It doesn't look so bad, aesthetically. Sure, it's a bit awkward, but I think it looks better than the one they tacked on Grand Princess. And I bet Princess gets a lot of attention in ports, particularly in the Caribbean, where passengers from other lines will see the screen and remember that Princess is the line with MUTS.

2 - Anyone else notice that the Seawitch logo affixed to the funnel looks like a cheap replacement?

Check out Sea Princess prior to sailing for P&O to compare:
Pre-Adonia

The one on Sea Princess appears to be one piece of metal without even the spaces between her hair cut out. It lacks any depth or texture. Very cheap, in my opinion. I hope it's not permanent.

[ 05-01-2005: Message edited by: jsea ]

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-01-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jsea:
2 - Anyone else notice that the Seawitch logo affixed to the funnel looks like a cheap replacement?

Check out Sea Princess prior to sailing for P&O to compare:
Pre-Adonia

The one on Sea Princess appears to be one piece of metal without even the spaces between her hair cut out. It lacks any depth or texture. Very cheap, in my opinion. I hope it's not permanent.[/QB]

I knew something look different on the "new" seawitch logo! You're right, the new logo is one piece of metal and a bigger "sheet" compared to her original one...Also seems like the white part of the hair has been extended and the angle of the face has been altered.

Sorry jsea, but this is permanent. I don't think Carnival/Princess sees the need for a replacement or a more "expensive" logo. As long as the logo can do "its" job, its good enough.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.