- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Voyager to Bermuda in 2005 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Voyager to Bermuda in 2005
lebelty
First Class Passenger
Member # 3855

posted 05-15-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for lebelty   Email lebelty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Voyager to Bermuda in 2005
14/5/2004
Royal Caribbean International's Voyager of the Seas, which debuted today at Bayonne, N.J.'s Cape Liberty Cruise Port, will return in May 2005 with a new destination: Bermuda.
The 3,844-passenger ship is scheduled to sail five-night Bermuda itineraries calling at King's Wharf from May 15 to Nov. 13, 2005.

The new program will alternate with Voyager's nine-night Caribbean cruises from Cape Liberty Cruise Port, which call at Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Freeport.

WOW! I dont even know bermuda could fit a ship of this size in their ports!

This must be the largest ship to enter Bermuda waters!

What do you all think of this?

tyler

Posts: 672 | From: CT/Maine | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-15-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 3,844-passenger ship is scheduled to sail five-night Bermuda itineraries calling at King's Wharf from May 15 to Nov. 13, 2005.

Not only am I a Caribbean Virgin, I'm a Bermuda one too!

What has Bermuda to offer???

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-15-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...does this replace he Canada/New England trips?

[ 05-15-2004: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 05-15-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm:

I did Bermuda a number of years ago aboard Celebrity's Horizon and have to say it is still one of my most memorable cruises. Bermuda is the perfect marriage of a tropical Caribbean Island and a less touristy experience...until I heard this news...

What I have always liked is that Bermuda has always been a little more "exclusive" than other islands as it has limited which ships and lines call there...heck...they must be the only place on the planet without a MacDonald's unless that has changed too..

Kings Wharf has some wonderful artisan shops - pottery etc..there are also some wonderful restauramts, pubs, vantage points on the (Gibb's Lighthouse), a great cave system and of course the beaches...

This is definitely an Island for the "more civilized traveller".

I am surpised to hear that the Voyager is calling here - heck - Carnival was never able to secure a license to do so from what I undertand. Sounds to me like they've opened the flood gates and are letting every Tom, Dick and Harry onto the Island. Get there while it is still idyllic.

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-15-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jekyll:
Get there while it is still idyllic.

Maybe I'm too late, already?

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-15-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like this at all. Surprised too...
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 05-15-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am very surprised at this too... I was under the impression The Bermuda governement not only limited ships, but passengers too! You need sepcial permission to make regular calls at Bermuda and they limit the ships and lines that can! I dont think a bigger ship can even dock in Bermuda cause they sure cant in Hamilton!

Their are 3 ship docks in Bermuda; Hamilton,Kings Wharf and the Naval Shipyard!

So what is up here now??????

Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-15-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:

....and Princess used to stop at all three. Too bad they no longer sail there.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 05-15-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to Bermuda 2003 Cruise Ship Schedule.

Carnival Pride scheduled to berth for 7 calls at King's Wharf with 4 stops for Carnival Legend.

QE2 also visited at King's Wharf on May 6/7, 2003

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 05-16-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the royal dockyard/kings warf is
the only port in bermuda that can handle ships up to 35 ft. draft. that is where the qe2 docked.
the royal gazette newspaper in bermuda reported that the cruise
lines are in discussion with bermuda in rebuilding the docks
for bigger ships and dredging
hamilton harbor.
the cruise lines said that the
small cruiseliners years are numbered and the cruise lines will not be building small ships
anymore. i hope bermuda does not
allow bigger ships into her harbors. it would ruin the charater and charm of bermuda.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-16-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't mind if they allow Panamax-sized ships, but nothing over 100,000 grt!
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 05-16-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moodus2:
the royal dockyard/kings warf is
the only port in bermuda that can handle ships up to 35 ft. draft. that is where the qe2 docked.

So I suppose that all the four ships in the Statendam class, with a draft of 24.6 ft. are able to dock at Hamilton and St. Georges'.
If this is possible I don't understand why Hal hasn't ever tried to firm a contract to perform regular 7 days cruises to Bermuda.

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam are very nice ships, now quite old and small to compete well in the overcrowded market of cruises to Aleska.
The older two will be perfect for Bermuda.

Probably most person will prefer them to Horizon, Zenith, Empress of the Seas, Norwegian Majesty and Norwegian Crown.

Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 05-16-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL offered Rotterdam 7-day Nassau & Bermuda or Statendam 7-day Bermuda Cruises until early 1980s.
Later 1970s Volendam was added 7-day cruises to St. George's and Hamilton.
In Summer 1981 Rotterdam and Statendam started Alaska cruises out of Vancouver.
Veendam sailed 7-day Hamilton cruises and Volendam sailed 7-day St. George's and Hamilton cruises in 1983.
*Atlantic of Home Line begun to sail in Apr. 1982

Veendam was purchased by Bermuda Cruise Line and renamed Bermuda Star in 1984.
*Bermuda Star Line advertised only three calls at Bermuda on Queen of Bermuda itinerary in 1990.
*R.V. Star begun to sail 7-day St. George's and Hamilton cruises on Apr 28, 1990.

HAL expanded the New destination or the New departure ports.

In Winter 1983/4, Nieuw Amsterdam begun to sail 14 night Mexican Riviera cruises out of San Francisco.
In Winter 1984/5 Noordam to sail above cruises, beside Nieuw Amsterdam to sail out of Tampa.

Statendam(New) scheduled to call at Hamilton on May 9, 1993 on her Inaugural 35 day Grand Europe Cruise.

[ 05-17-2004: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 05-16-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040508/NEWS/105080054

Article on larger ships for Bermuda.

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-18-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Found elsewhere on the web:

As anyone who knows the quaint, ultra-British isle can tell you, Bermuda has always been a bit standoffish about welcoming mega-ships, preventing "overcrowding" by allowing only a limited number of mostly smaller, older ships to make calls. Why the change now? The Bermuda Department of Tourism is remaining mum, but this could be a last-ditch damage-control effort after some lines -- such as Carnival -- actually scaled back their Bermuda sailings in 2004, no doubt frustrated with Bermuda's haughty "no big boys" stance.

Who cares if Carnival cuts back. I don't like big fat corporations run by big fat men bullying little country governments. Ships like Voyager etc, don't belong in Bermuda.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lebelty
First Class Passenger
Member # 3855

posted 05-18-2004 07:09 PM      Profile for lebelty   Email lebelty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who cares if Carnival cuts back. I don't like big fat corporations run by big fat men bullying little country governments. Ships like Voyager etc, don't belong in Bermuda.

true, but it is those big time corperations that mainly own the little ones 9or used to be the little ones)
And if they dont like it, Carnival Corp couldpull out all together....

tyler

Posts: 672 | From: CT/Maine | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-18-2004 07:17 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lebelty:

true, but it is those big time corperations that mainly own the little ones 9or used to be the little ones)
And if they dont like it, Carnival Corp couldpull out all together....

tyler

After Carnival Corp pulls out, RCI and NCL can expand. Maybe even Oceania and MSC can jump into the Bermuda market...

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-18-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Horrors if this for real!

Bermuda, never mind King's Wharf, is just not geared to cope with 3844 visitors.

It's one of the most beautiful islands I've ever visited, we've visited many times, mostly on land vacations, a few cruises too, and feel privileged to have 'house/dog sat' for weeks at a time in beautiful Bermudian homes.

Culturally, temperature-wise, Bermuda it is not the Caribbean. Always an up-scale destination, hotel rates, restaurants, etc. have never been anywhere close to 'budget category'.

I really do hope the 'Voyager' invasion news it's just 'speculation'.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-18-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Horrors if this for real!

Bermuda, never mind King's Wharf, is just not geared to cope with 3844 visitors.

It's one of the most beautiful islands I've ever visited, we've visited many times, mostly on land vacations, a few cruises too, and feel privileged to have 'house/dog sat' for weeks at a time in beautiful Bermudian homes.

Culturally, temperature-wise, Bermuda it is not the Caribbean. Always an up-scale destination, hotel rates, restaurants, etc. have never been anywhere close to 'budget category'.

I really do hope the 'Voyager' invasion news it's just 'speculation'.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-18-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Duplicate post
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 05-19-2004 01:18 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i agree, small ships are the only way to see bermuda. the furness bermuda line had small
ships. the beautiful 3 stacker
queen of bermuda is my favorite.
the ss independence would bring
back the age of steam to this
beautiful island paradise.

Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 05-19-2004 08:53 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:

Actually don't forget that St. George's also has a dock (which I believe can take up to two ships if I remember correctly) - so there are actually 4

[ 05-19-2004: Message edited by: Jekyll ]

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 05-19-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there are 3 ports in bermuda:
the royal naval dockyard,
hamilton and st. georges.
the royal naval dockyard can handle one ship with the draft
of qe2.
at hamilton,2 ships can dock there,at passenger terminal 1 and 6
at st. georges 2 ships can dock
there. 1 at ordnanace island and
the other at pennos wharf.
the entrance to st. georges is
known as town cut and is very
narrow. the cut would have to
be widen to allow larger ships.
the approach to hamilton is shallow at 2 rock passage.
there would require a lot of
dregging. the harbor has a natural bottom and has not ben
dregged.

Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 05-20-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ditto Green- Can you imagine 3800 people getting off one ship at the Naval dockyard and trying to get buses to the beaches? Also, the 5 day cruise is much too short as you will have 4 nights at sea and only one night in Bermuda. I much prefer RCI's current 8 day Bermuda cruise on Empress of the Seas which docks at St. George, Hamilton and the Naval Dockyard. Hope VOS will not replace that cruise next year.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-20-2004 02:03 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Nordic Empress tenders at Hamilton. The QE2 only moors at the Royal Naval Dockyards.

The Gulf Stream is pretty rough all times of the year, and a good seaboat is needed.

I personally think the ROC speedsters or the 30k ton Reniassance ships are a better bet for the Bermuda run.

from NYC it is one sea day going and coming.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.