- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Aurora Window Incident!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aurora Window Incident!!!!
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 02-21-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Cruise Talkers,
Just back from Aurora's segment from SF to SY.
Had some excitement .
1 dayout from Auckland,
Window on F deck was blown in by the heavy sea's and wind.....
F 103 had to be evacuated......
as window glass blew in ....
taking on water....
occupants evacuated.....
neighbours sogged.....
Captain had to undertake a 180 degree
turn to take off the pressure from that side....
whilst repairs were undertaken....
all passengers had to be seated during turn.
Those in the Crows Nest,
saw floor to ceiling sea out of one side ,and sky out of the other.......

Repaired in about 1.1/2 hours.....
But am left with the feeling that
ships should be designed so that the elderly passengers in this and adjoining cabins should not have to undertake this hassle........

Repairs at Auckland

Height from water line

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: bmajor ]

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 02-21-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keiatro,
Pics taken next at Auckland showing repairs underway and the height of the window from the dock.........
Lesson is dont book
Lower deck close to bow......

Johan C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1201

posted 02-21-2004 03:42 AM      Profile for Johan C   Email Johan C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wat is wrong with the windows on Aurora. A few years ago she had also a lot of broken windows on a transatlantic. I remember there was a British television program on that matter

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: Johan C ]

Posts: 256 | From: Ghent, historic city in Belgium | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 02-21-2004 03:43 AM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
F 103 is the second window in from the bow.
Spoke to the couple in F 105
next day and P&O
had dryers blowing all day
trying to dry out there cabin...

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 09:28 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the second time Aurora has had blown in windows from high seas. Ummm attention ship yards....there is a REASON that windows in the hull were traditionally PORTHOLES and NOT PICTURE WINDOWS!!!!!!
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 02-21-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CGT:

Concur!

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 02-21-2004 10:45 AM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
there is a REASON that windows in the hull were traditionally PORTHOLES and NOT PICTURE WINDOWS!!!!!!

Aurora designed for mainly sails in Med!!??
So P&O installed too many cabins in the forward section on the F deck.

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-21-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you sure this is the 2nd time? It was Oriana that had a freak wave smash 6 windows midships, which the various TV documentaries have forever since portrayed.

Glad to see your safe back home bmajor and look forward to seeing a full review sometime

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Are you sure this is the 2nd time? It was Oriana that had a freak wave smash 6 windows midships, which the various TV documentaries have forever since portrayed.

Glad to see your safe back home bmajor and look forward to seeing a full review sometime

Pam

You are probably right. I have read the investigation report but probably just got the ships names mixed up. The point being, that this is the second time that P&O has had this happen, and Aurora and Oriana are near sisters. Both were designed with large picture windows were in the old days portholes would have been, and both have blown out!

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: CGT ]

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-21-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No-one's disputing the fact that it may have to with the larger picture windows as against portholes.
I don't however think it has anything to do with Aurora & Oriana being "near" sisters. The windows smashed are in quite different places.
Vision of the Seas and Horizon are 2 other ships ISTR this has happened to in recent years. On Vision I think it may have even been a porthole? I can't remember the details, and Horizon was a forward facing window.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
No-one's disputing the fact that it may have to with the larger picture windows as against portholes.
I don't however think it has anything to do with Aurora & Oriana being "near" sisters. The windows smashed are in quite different places.
Vision of the Seas and Horizon are 2 other ships ISTR this has happened to in recent years. On Vision I think it may have even been a porthole? I can't remember the details, and Horizon was a forward facing window.
Pam

Okay let me make things pefectly clear:

A)The reason Oriana and Aurora have had this problem is because they have picture windows where portholes ought to be.

B) My mention of them being "near sisters" was NOT stated as a reason the windows broke out. It was stated as a reason that I got the NAMES mixed up. You misundertood what I wrote except for the fact that I got Aurora mixed up with Oriana.

This sentence:

"The point being, that this is the second time that P&O has had this happen, and Aurora and Oriana are near sisters."

...is the confusing sentence, sorry.

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 02-21-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CGT...on the old liners there were only portholes below the "weatherdeck" allowed, and they All had to have 'Deadlights' fitted.
On the Western Ocean in the winter these were quite often damaged.

....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gohaze:
CGT...on the old liners there were only portholes below the "weatherdeck" allowed, and they All had to have 'Deadlights' fitted.
On the Western Ocean in the winter these were quite often damaged.

....peter

Yeah, they didn't have picture windows so low, and no one had picture windows as low as Aurora.

Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 02-21-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah, they didn't have picture windows so low, and no one had picture windows as low as Aurora.

Deuchland has Large Window

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 02-21-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the Bremen the smashed in the Wheelhouse windows coming up frm the Falklands a couple of years ago.

...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocean Liners:
Deuchland has Large Window

Yes, but not before portholes were abandoned for cabins with picture windows.

Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 02-21-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please compere with Location of Cabins with large windows and decks between Aurora and Deutschland
Both ships almost same location for cabins with windows

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-21-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two ships, passing in the night....
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-22-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Okay let me make things pefectly clear:

A)The reason Oriana and Aurora have had this problem is because they have picture windows where portholes ought to be.

Many feel the same circumstances are present on QM2, and to an even greater degree. Rather then just having cabin windows close to the water line, QM2 has large lounge windows. It will be interesting to see how well they hold out when QM2 really hits rough weather.

BTW, I read the report on ORIANA and the problem was determined to be how the window was fitted into the frame. It was installed improperly or too small for the frame if I remember correctly.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-22-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Many feel the same circumstances are present on QM2, and to an even greater degree. Rather then just having cabin windows close to the water line, QM2 has large lounge windows. It will be interesting to see how well they hold out when QM2 really hits rough weather.

BTW, I read the report on ORIANA and the problem was determined to be how the window was fitted into the frame. It was installed improperly or too small for the frame if I remember correctly.

Ernie

Yes I agree with you about QM2, the only difference being that QM2's are so much higher in general. Doesn't mean she couldn't have problems though, nessecarily.

I also read that same report and yes, they said it were problems with the way it was fitted BUT to my mind ships just shouldn't have windows like that in the hull in the first place. That's why the old ships had their cabins in the hull with portholes and all the public rooms built up top into the superstructure, but alas, balconies are a DEMAND today so everything has to be flip flopped to satisfy that.

bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 02-22-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well just a thought......
The windows are recessecd into the hull....
If they get a direct hit ,from the waves,
followed by high winds,
would this not create a vacuum,
This window that blew in was on the curve of the bow .......
and it took a direct hit......
and the sea must have surgered around
followed by high winds.....
If the hull was desinged to flick the waves away it may not have happenned

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 02-23-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh Dear! More and more I think of my QM2 Cat. C3 Guarantee on Deck 4 - do I have a porthole or a window?...the cost of which cannot be considered 'cheap'!

Cunard is being very cagey about discriptions of this class of cabin and I've not yet found a picture. My balance payment is not due until July - can anyone shed some BRIGHT light on this? P-L-E-A-S-E

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-23-2004 06:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green:
Oh Dear! More and more I think of my QM2 Cat. C3 Guarantee on Deck 4 - do I have a porthole or a window?...the cost of which cannot be considered 'cheap'!

Cunard is being very cagey about discriptions of this class of cabin and I've not yet found a picture. My balance payment is not due until July - can anyone shed some BRIGHT light on this? P-L-E-A-S-E

All category C3's have a single picture window. They are also larger then the standard 194 sq feet cabins as they incorporate the balcony space into the interior of the cabin. The closer to midship, the better and larger.

If you get upgraded to C2 or C1 you stand the chance of getting a cabin with just a single porthole. Some of C2's and C1's have a single picture window, and some have a single porthole. You are better off picking an actual cabin in these categories rather then a guarantee if you are concerned about getting a cabin with just a porthole. It's also unlikely you will get upgraded to a balcony if that is your hope. Cunard is not very generous (for the most part) when it comes to upgrades.

If you need information on a specific cabin let me know.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.