- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » pride of america almost sink! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: pride of america almost sink!
rustaveli
First Class Passenger
Member # 1708

posted 01-14-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for rustaveli   Author's Homepage   Email rustaveli   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sorry guys just in german:

Bremerhaven (dpa/lni) Das Kreuzfahrtschiff «Pride of America» ist in der Nacht zum Mittwoch in Bremerhaven aus noch ungeklärter Ursache voller Wasser gelaufen und mit dem Rumpf auf den Grund des Hafenbeckens gesunken. Gegen Mitternacht war das im Bau befindliche Schiff gegen die Pier gedrückt und in Schräglage gebracht worden. Dabei wurden mindestens drei Werftarbeiter verletzt, teilte die Feuerwehr mit. Die Höhe des Sachschadens war zunächst unklar.

Insgesamt hatten 14 Männer an Bord des Schiffes gearbeitet. Sie konnten über Leitern in Sicherheit gebracht werden. 100 Rettungskräfte hatten in der Nacht an Bord des Passagierschiffs nach möglichen Vermissten gesucht. Weitere Menschen befanden sich jedoch nicht an Bord. Ob der Sturm für den Unfall verantwortlich ist, ist noch unklar. «Es könnte auch ein Ventil gebrochen und das Schiff deshalb voll Wasser gelaufen sein», sagte ein Polizeisprecher. «Im Moment können wir nichts ausschließen.» In den Morgenstunden werde zunächst versucht, das Wasser aus dem Schiff zu pumpen.

Über die Höhe des entstandenen Schadens konnten noch keine Angaben gemacht werden. «Das sieht in so einer Situation dann aus wie auf einem Schlachtfeld», sagte ein Sprecher der Feuerwehr. Die knapp 300 Meter lange «Pride of America», ein 300-Millionen-Euro-Projekt der Lloyd Werft, soll nach ihrer Fertigstellung rund 2200 Passagieren Platz bieten und vor allem durch amerikanische Gewässer kreuzen.

Foto: Die Pride of America ist in Bremerhaven auf Grund gelaufen.

http://www.rhein-main.net/sixcms/detail.php/1455396

Posts: 89 | From: Locarno / Ticino - Switzerland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 01-14-2004 02:31 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This looks serious i'm happy that there where no lost off life i hope the injured man recover quik.
Strange how this is possible in a building yard.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-14-2004 02:50 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had last Night an strong Storm in Germany.

The Reason is unclear, broken Ventil is possible?

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-14-2004 03:04 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the Black Forest, where i live, we have Windspeeds up to 180 Kilometers an Hour.

Especially in Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt are Damages, in some Parts of our Region the Fire Brigade works last Night.

Now it rains a lot, but it is not stormy at the Moment.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 01-14-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amerikanis:
In the Black Forest, where i live, we have Windspeeds up to 180 Kilometers an Hour.

Especially in Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt are Damages, in some Parts of our Region the Fire Brigade works last Night.

Now it rains a lot, but it is not stormy at the Moment.

I hope there are not casaulty's among you there inn Deutchland. Here Nederland it's windy and yesterday they where strong winds my appartmentblock sounded as iff on any moment she will blown away.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-14-2004 05:54 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

My Goodness This photo not look good. I hope all are OK and it's not as bad as that photo shows!
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
seabourndt
First Class Passenger
Member # 2154

posted 01-14-2004 05:59 AM      Profile for seabourndt   Email seabourndt   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
could we have a translation please, i have booked on her fundraiser on 3rd july in hawaii. hope there waas not any injuries. let me know pam about the pics you took at soton
Posts: 224 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kph06
First Class Passenger
Member # 3506

posted 01-14-2004 06:46 AM      Profile for kph06   Email kph06   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Hopefully no one was hurt. I just checked out Costa Victoria's camera and they'd tunred the aft facing one off, that's the one that faces Pride of America.

kevin

Posts: 150 | From: Halifax, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 01-14-2004 06:50 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the translation:

Bremerhaven (dpa/lni). the cruise ship" Pride of America ran in Bremerhaven from even unsolved cause full of waters to the Wednesday in the night and sank to the reason of the dock with the torso. Against midnight, the ship situated in the construction was pier against them/her/it pressed and been brought in angle. At least three dockworkers were injured on that occasion, the fire brigade informed. The height of the damage was unclear at first.

Altogether, 14 men had worked at board of the ship. You/they could be brought to safety over leaders. 100 rescue strengths had looked for possible missing persons on board of the liner in the night. However, further people were not on board. Whether the storm is responsible for the accident, still is unclear. " It the ship could break also a valve and therefore run water fully ", a police speaker said. " At the moment can exclude nothing we. in the morning hours is tried at first to pump the water from the ship.
Over the height of the resulting damage, no statements could still be done. " This then looks in such a situation like on a battlefield ", a speaker of the fire brigade said. This barely 300 meters long" Pride of America ", a 300 million Euro project of the Lloyd Werft, place should offer approximately 2200 passengers after her/its/their completion and above all through American waters should cruise.

Photo: The Pride of America ran on reason in Bremerhaven.

A bad news... never seen a ship that was near to sink while under construction... !!!

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Italian Cruiser ]

Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-14-2004 07:30 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Raoul has posted a link to some pics taken today, here. She doesn't look quite so bad as above. CV is in the corner of the images too.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 01-14-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they can always bring back the
ss independence. she is 50+ years young and never sank.
thats american shipbuilding for
you! i think the ss indy is a
better looking ship. i was on
her in 2000 and it was a great
cruise.
it will be interesting to see what caused the pride of america
to sink a the dock.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2004 08:48 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday you could see the ship quite clearly from COSTA VICTORIA's live webcams. CV is at the shipyard for balconies to be added. Funny enough, her aft-cam, the one facing the sunken ship is not working. The forward facing cam is still operational.

Ernie - who doesn't feel much pride in "PRIDE OF AMERICA"

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 01-14-2004 08:50 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If that is "sunk" it's a hell of a funny looking sinking!!!

....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 01-14-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How much damage do you think this could do to the PoA's new mechanicals? She must have some flooding damage. I wonder is this will delay her completion by a significant amount...
Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 01-14-2004 09:54 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of Seatrade....

Copyright © Seatrade Communications Limited, 2004.

Pride of America sinks
14/1/2004

NCL’s newbuilding Pride of America, sank in the early hours of this morning at Lloyd Werft shipyard in Bremerhaven. The ship, due to be delivered in April, started to take on water during a heavy storm and shifted towards a pier. All workers onboard at the time evacuated and Seatrade Insider understands two persons were slightly injured. The vessel is currently grounded alongside the pier and listing at 20 degrees. The lower three decks are under water and engine spaces are flooded. (More details to follow).

....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-14-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PRIDE OF AMERICA is jinx! Just kidding. Well, I hope everything is ok, but since her lower three decks in flooded, there might be delays...From the link Pam gave, I think from this angle the ship looks ugly!

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marlowe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1632

posted 01-14-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Marlowe   Email Marlowe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fact that her enginerooms flooded is VERY SERIOUS for the scheduled completion of the PoA. When you consider how much machinery is submerged now as well as all the automation and switchboards, the time and cost will be in the tens of millions to repair. Much will infact have to be ripped out and replaced altogether. My estimate is a minimum 4 month delay.

Regarding what caused this, I'd suspect that the wind hitting the ship broadside caused her to heel over to the point where openings in the hull became submerged and then she just went blub!

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Marlowe ]

Posts: 414 | From: mt. vernon, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 01-14-2004 10:46 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Marlowe is correct.....this is going to be expensive; although I'm sure the yard's insurance will cover it. Also, the sides of this ship are just like giant sails....Marlowe is again probably correct that the wind forced the ship to list to starboard. Kinda neat that Norway, 35 years her junior, was untouched.

I'm really not a big fan of this ship. Still, it's sad to know that many folks will (more than likely) have their cruise cancelled or delayed. Besides, I hate to see something like this happen to any ship.

Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-14-2004 11:33 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This doesn't look very good for Lloyd-Werft, to have a mostly completed cruise ship 1/4 sunk at their yard. If I were looking at repair yards, a red flag would certainly be raised.

Interesting the ship was towed all the way across the Atlantic with no problems, then sinks right at the shipyard. I have to wonder if negligence on the part of Lloyd-Werft is to blame? I imagine all the engineering pieces were already installed and are now sitting under water, most likely ruined. This is going to be a major set-back for NCL, who had planned a big July 4th premier for the ship.

I can't imagine why all outer doors and openings were not sealed if a big storm were predicted?

Ernie - who feels NCL has had more than it's fair share of set-backs

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 01-14-2004 12:20 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the plastic looking wrap had anything to do with it? I've seen this material used on other new-builds, but not to the extent that this ship had. It looks like the entire ship was shrink-wrapped. As said above, it seems like it would make the entire ship one big sail.
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 01-14-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nathan:
I wonder if the plastic looking wrap had anything to do with it? I've seen this material used on other new-builds, but not to the extent that this ship had. It looks like the entire ship was shrink-wrapped. As said above, it seems like it would make the entire ship one big sail.

They gifrapped the ship Fore NCL buth forget the ribon.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If she was to be completed in April now would be about the right time to begin the paint work on the hull. I am guessing that the exterior plastic covering was there so that they could protect and prepare then eventually finish painting the hull, complete with all that 'hull art'.

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 01-14-2004 03:20 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Ernie - who feels NCL has had more than it's fair share of set-backs

I deffinately agree with you...I REALLY hope things turn around for them...(ie PoA on schedule, Norway repaired, etc...)

~Brian

Posts: 865 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 01-14-2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talk about an oxymoron with the ongoing worldwide political situation. (Sorry not trying to start a political debate!)
Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Commodore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1575

posted 01-14-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Commodore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone. Sorry to be gone for so long.

Being that I am going on this ship little more than 3 monthes after her main voyage, this is bad news for me. There is a bright side, if you can call it that, and that is we are probobly going to be in the market for a cruise soon. My preference is Splendour of the Seas. Anyway we'll wait and see but with a list of 20 degrees and flooded engine rooms, things aren't looking good for a hawaii sailing. All well if the airlines understand, a very hard thing for them to do , then we may be going to Europe.

Posts: 1106 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.