- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Snowy NCL Dawn in NYC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snowy NCL Dawn in NYC
vivavegas
First Class Passenger
Member # 3958

posted 12-14-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for vivavegas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope NCL uses this pic in a future brochure showing the benefits of sailing from NYC:

Does the Dawn carry snow shovels to clean off it's balconies or just wait for it to melt on the way yo Port Canaveral?

Is it melted yet?

Craig
MKE[B][/B]

Posts: 54 | From: Brookfield, WI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-14-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics!

They only validate the fact I have no desire to sail out of NYC to Florida and the Bahamas in the winter. A transatlantic crossing is another story.

The roads and airports must be a nightmare. I'll be surprised if the ship leaves on time.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 12-14-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few years back I sailed from New York on Horizon on a repostioning voyage to San Juan. We all froze on deck while sailing out; no ice in the pool, but we could see our breath and had the shivers. The very next morning, I bundled up with a sweater and headed out doors to get a breath of fresh air, and expected the temperature to be in the low 40s again-but it was over 80! A real pleasant surprise as I had expected it to be cool for the whole of the next day.
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
vivavegas
First Class Passenger
Member # 3958

posted 12-14-2003 03:41 PM      Profile for vivavegas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This also cements my lack of desire to sail from NYC in winter:

quote:
OFFNT2

OFFSHORE WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WASHINGTON DC
OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER/OCEAN FORECAST BRANCH
300 PM EST SUN 14 DEC 2003

W CENTRAL N ATLC CONTINENTAL SHELF AND SLOPE WATERS BEYOND 20 NM
TO 250 NM OFFSHORE...INCLUDING S OF GEORGES BANK FROM 1000 FMS TO
250 NM OFFSHORE.

ANZ084-150230-
HUDSON CANYON TO BALTIMORE CANYON INCLUDING THE WATERS S OF 1000
FMS OUT TO 40N 65W TO 38N 67W TO 36N 70W
300 PM EST SUN 14 DEC 2003

STORM WARNING

STORM FORCE WINDS POSSIBLE THU

TONIGHT
E TO SE WINDS 30 TO 40 KT SHIFTING TO W LATE...EXCEPT
BECOMING S TO SW 30 TO 40 KT OVER FAR E WATERS. SEAS BUILDING TO
10 TO 20 FT...HIGHEST E. RAIN AND SCATTERED TSTMS...WITH VSBY
OCCASIONALLY BELOW 1 NM.

MON
W TO NW WINDS INCREASING TO 40 TO 50 KT...THEN DECREASING
TO 30 TO 40 KT W OF 1000 FMS LATE. SEAS BUILDING TO 20 TO 25 FT E
OF 70W...AND BECOMING 10 TO 20 FT W OF 70W. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
TSTMS...CHANGING TO SNOW OR RAIN SHOWERS LATE. VSBY OCCASIONALLY
BELOW 1 NM.

Craig
MKE

Posts: 54 | From: Brookfield, WI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-14-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People who actually *live* in NYC would beg to differ with both of you. Many people who live in NYC would LOVE to get on that ship and sail away to warmer waters.
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-14-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
People who actually *live* in NYC would beg to differ with both of you. Many people who live in NYC would LOVE to get on that ship and sail away to warmer waters.

Yes, you are right and it's much more convenient then flying. As someone pointed out earlier, the gulf stream does warm up things quite a bit about a day's sail from NYC.

None the less, for those of us who live down South or West, it's rather pointless to fly up to cold NY to take a cruise South. Luckily the NE does have the highest population base in the US, so it should be sufficient to keep NORWEGIAN DAWN sailing full. I have noticed plenty of bare bottom rates on her though, probably more so then other ships of late. I think the 10-day deep Caribbean cruises are more popular, and maybe NCL should have scheduled more of these.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
petede
First Class Passenger
Member # 3459

posted 12-14-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for petede     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I live in NY, but since I know that some of the worst storms in the North Atlantic occur off the coast of Cape Hatteras during the winter, I would pass on leaving NY in the winter and drive to Florida if need be.
Posts: 146 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-14-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by petede:
I live in NY, but since I know that some of the worst storms in the North Atlantic occur off the coast of Cape Hatteras during the winter, I would pass on leaving NY in the winter and drive to Florida if need be.

Of course the most viable option for traveling down the coast in bad weather, the train, is always overlooked by an American public ignorant of rail travel.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 12-14-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
the most viable option for traveling down the coast in bad weather, the train, is always overlooked

And having gotten down the east coast by train in weather when neither cars nor planes were going much of anywhere, I can attest to that.

That said I'd frankly rather be going down the coast by ship than by car - being stuck in the middle of nowhere on a ship is rather analogous to being stuck in the middle of nowhere in a car, with a small city in tow . Besides that I think the car is much more likely to get stuck anyway.

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-14-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
And having gotten down the east coast by train in weather when neither cars nor planes were going much of anywhere, I can attest to that.

The wrong sort of snow doesn't fall on the lines in the US then?
Pam...

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-14-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

The wrong sort of snow doesn't fall on the lines in the US then?
Pam...

Trains are the most reliable form of bad weather overland transportation, rain wind or snow. Air travel is the least reliable, and cars second. The tracks are cleared by huge snowblowing engines (you should see the snowblowing engines that clear the snow on the rail lines that run over the Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada of California) and the trains won't "spin out" on black ice, nor are they subject to the perils of fog the way cars and planes are.

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 12-14-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Train travel becomes more appealing as winter closes in. So far this year Boston, New York and Toronto (Montreal too probably) have all been affected by snow and ice.

I haven't investigated getting from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale by rail but plan to - can't believe it could be more exhausting than fighting your way through overcrowded airports and being schrunched up in a plane.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-14-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You would take Amtrak/VIA Rail joint service from Toronto to New York aboard the MAPLE LEAF, daily service. This is an all coach train, with upgraded "Business Class" seating available. In New York, at Penn Station, you would connect with either the SILVER STAR or the SILVER METEOR. These are long distance overnight trains with "Viewliner" sleeper equipment, as well as coaches. There is also a dining car, and a lounge car with a snack counter, tables, and a smoking room. "Viewliner" sleeping car equipment is much better than the "Superliner" sleepers used in the West. All Viewliner bedrooms feature in room video and audio entertainment. I've done two roundtrips down to Florida in a Viewliner Standard Bedroom (have also done the Superliner Standard Bedroom on the West Coast). I love it. You'd probably want to reserve a deluxe bedroom since you would be travelling with someone. Deluxe bedrooms have a private shower en suite but frankly if I were in a deluxe bedroom I'd just use the toilet in the bedroom and use the shower down at the end of the car (it is very clean, nice, underused, and spacious - and is there for the Standard Bedroom passengers who do not have ensuite showers. All Viewliner bedrooms have private toilet facilities). Much much better that way I think. I can give you plenty of details and info.

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited by: CGT ]

moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 12-15-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
from the reviews that i have been reading most passengers are
happy with this cruise and the
ship is booked full.
the reason the rates are cheaper
in the fall(and it is still fall
mind you) is that travel and
vacations are not done by most
this time of year. kids in school,vacation time used up and
holidays around the corner.
christmas cruises however are
popular and expensive.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-15-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moodus2:
from the reviews that i have been reading most passengers are
happy with this cruise and the
ship is booked full.
the reason the rates are cheaper
in the fall(and it is still fall
mind you) is that travel and
vacations are not done by most
this time of year. kids in school,vacation time used up and
holidays around the corner.
christmas cruises however are
popular and expensive.

Yes it is quite still Fall! Winter does not begin until Dec. 21st!

BTF
First Class Passenger
Member # 2024

posted 12-15-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for BTF        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The major disadvantage of sailing out of possibly snowy New York City to warm Caribbean destinations during the middle of winter is that they take you back again to New York.
Posts: 287 | From: Ottawa, Ont. Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 12-15-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BTF:
The major disadvantage of sailing out of possibly snowy New York City to warm Caribbean destinations during the middle of winter is that they take you back again to New York.

Funny you say that as QM2 next year will be doing a one off "Escapists Caribbean" cruise deep into the Caribbean for 14 days that departs New York City and finishes up in Ft. Lauderdale.

P.S. The snow sure is melted on the Norwegian Dawn now!!!

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited by: CGT ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-15-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I should explain that the "wrong sort of snow" & "wrong kind of leaves" are excuses that have been made by British Rail in the past when they have failed to run trains here in bad weather during fall & winter. A standing joke over here.
When planes are grounded & weather too bad for cars, then yes trains should be the best option.
It looks sunny and warm on Norwegian Dawn now I note.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 12-15-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes it is quite still Fall! Winter does not begin until Dec. 21st!

Yes, until December 21 at 19:21 GMT (14:21 EST), officially at least. However, weatherwise it is already winter in Montreal and for practical purposes that is what really counts. Unfortunately the weather rarely respects the astronomical definitions of the seasons.
C'est la vie.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
OCEANSDEVINE
First Class Passenger
Member # 2141

posted 12-16-2003 10:55 AM      Profile for OCEANSDEVINE   Email OCEANSDEVINE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sailed on the Dawn 12/7 to 12/14. Most passengers were not American let alone NYers. The surprise was all the toddlers and preschoolers hence young parents. Since we were hit with a blizzard the day before we decided to park our SUV at the pier which worked out well when we returned it was snowing heavily. Most passengers were visiting NY to celebrate the holidays and were delighted about the snow. Leaving NY we were really checking out the ship and getting settled and since we see the skyline all the time being Staten Islanders that was okay. The day at sea was a little nippy around the Carolinas but I was able to sit near the outside pool wearing a light jacket. Seas were very calm. The draw for Pt. Canaveral is Disney and the others. Our bus to Magic Kingdom was one of 5 and I was concerned about screaming toddlers but got lucky - it was pretty quiet. Returning through the Carolinas the ship's tv report "rough" seas with 10 -12ft swells. This isn't really rough to me have traveled through some significant storms. I put on that light jacket and did the wraparound promenade most of the morning. Would definitely recommend the Dawn and was very happy about 75 - 80 degree temperatures in FL and Bahamas.
Posts: 146 | From: NEW YORK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 12-17-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to sailing on an 11 day Caribbean cruise from New York on the Dawn in late January. It sure beats flying a day early to Florida (if you're lucky) and spending the night before the cruise in a motel. I don't think that longer itinerary will have many children on board and I applaud NCL for changing their usual 7 day itinerary in January and early February. I understand those cruises are selling very well. We also booked a 9 day Caribbean cruise on Voyager of the Seas in late May and a 10 day Caribbean cruise on QM2 in late November. The money we save by not flying and motels provides us a balcony cabin for each cruise.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-22-2003 05:18 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My brother and his wife live in Manhattan and took the Norwegian Dawn for Thanksgiving. They too like taking a cab too and fro the terminal in less than one hour, not being scrunched up in a 17" seat, and being strip searched at JFK of LaGuardia.

The passenger complement was very diverse with many Russians in particular. There were many kids but they were not seen due to a wealth of state of the art children facilities and activities. There were quite a few first time passengers.

The sea days had a wealth of activities.

The Norwegian Dawn is a good riding ship. They had one storm with 20' waves and there were a few puke puddles. My brother does not get seasick.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.