- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Queen Anne, the 249th ship to sail under the Cunard flag, set sail just after 9 pm local time as thousands of spectators gathered on the shores to watch the departure from vantage points across the city and along Southampton water. Guests on board the 3,000-guest, 113,000-ton ship are set to enjoy a spectacular sail away party, with celebrations continuing throughout...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. today reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2024 and provided guidance for the second quarter and full year 2024. First Quarter 2024 Highlights: Generated total revenue of $2.2 billion, a 20% increase compared to the same period in 2023 on 8% capacity growth, with GAAP net income of $17.4 million, or EPS of $0.04...

Latest News...The countdown is on for the next big thing coming to vacations, the ultimate short getaway: Royal Caribbean International’s Utopia of the Seas is almost ready for its debut. Starting today, the next in the lineup of game-changing Oasis Class ships is making its way to the open ocean for the first time to begin five days of testing....

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Regal Empress, ISP and Regal Voyager

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Regal Empress, ISP and Regal Voyager
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 05-07-2003 11:42 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw The Regal Empress For Sale on I believe it was Ship Sales Int'l or one like it for $10 Million! WOW! She will never sell for that price!! They must be crazy! I also saw Regal Voyager on the same site! And isn't it a coincidence that they are both owned in some way by ISP-The Infamous International Shipping Partners!
Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-07-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, ISP doesn't own REGAL EMPRESS now as she's been seized!

Either a) ISP is going broke (I doubt it), b) ISP does not really own REGAL EMPRESS (doubt that too), or c) there is some other reason that they let her get arrested etc.

I wonder what that reason is?

PS: For those who do not know... REGAL EMPRESS, under the name SCANDINAVIAN STAR, was the ship that made ISP so infamous in the first place, especially in Scandinavia where they are a lot more infamous than they are here, due to publicity by the media there etc. (that was STAR's field of operation at the time of her... er... incident).

More later when I dig up a quote explaining...

[ 05-07-2003: Message edited by: cruiseny ]

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 05-08-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny thing, I never remember the Regal Empress being known as Scandinavian anything!! I thought she was previously Caribe and Olympia. When was she Scandinavian Star and what happened to her?
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kaiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 3370

posted 05-08-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for kaiser   Email kaiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Regal Empress is not the former Scandinvian Star. You are correct about her former names being Olympia and Caribe I. The former Scandinavian Star was originally the ferry Massalia (or something like that) and was converted to a cruise ship for SeaEscape Cruises. She was then sold again as a ferry for Northern Europe and was on one of her early sailings in her new role when a disastrous (arson?) fire broke out and about 155 died.

She was saved and renamed Candi and then rebuilt and I believe was renamed again Regal Voyager or something like that. I'm relying on memory so some of the details may be wrong but that's the gist of it.

Regards, Kaiser

Posts: 212 | From: Vancouver, B.C. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-08-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCANDINAVIAN STAR was never sold by SeaEscape... SeaEscape was in fact one of ISP's ventures (not to be confused with today's New SeaEscape, which as far as I know is not). REGAL VOYAGER has been connected with ISP ever since her days with SeaEscape as SCANDINAVIAN STAR.

ISP tried to say that they were involved in the ship before she went to Denmark (and had the accident), and subsequently bought her afterwards, but had sold her in between, however investigation has seemingly proved this to be false. Unfortunately the investigation took so long that nobody could be taken to court (except for the ISP "front company" which worked seemingly just as planned).

ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 05-10-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh for crying out loud... get off ISP's back. They were Regal's management company.

Regal Empress was started.. and privately owned by key executives from Liberty Travel and GoGo Tours. Who knows who owned what shares at the time of arrest.

However, even without seeing cash flow statements.....and the rest of the financials... it was easier to let her go to the block........and cheaper in the long run.

It's called... cutting your losses.

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-10-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ocngypz:
Oh for crying out loud... get off ISP's back. They were Regal's management company.

And her registered owner, according to a contact who has access to Lloyd's confidential list of owners...

Not to mention that even her publicly stated owners (Regal Cruises) just happen to have the same address as ISP... And that Fred Kassner (owner of Liberty Travel) was formerly an executive of ISP and was a partner in many of their ships (including, apparently, the ill-fated SCANDINAVIAN STAR).

It has been established that there is more to ISP than meets the eye...

[ 05-10-2003: Message edited by: cruiseny ]

gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 05-10-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe with the demise of Regal, you may see Liberty Travel involved in some other aspect of cruising sometime in the future, as the itineraries and their business plan was highly succesfull! I think it's just the engine thing that took them down, otherwise their product was excellent!

So who knows what's in store?

Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-10-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For a little background:

International Shipping Partners was a ship owning and management company based out of Miami, led by Niels-Erik Lund, formerly an executive at Denmark's highly respected DFDS.

In the late 1970s, DFDS was putting together a new operation, called Scandinavian World Cruises, to operate a passenger/car ferry service between New York and Florida. The problem, of course, was that such a service would violate the Passenger Services Act of 1886, better known as the "Jones Act", which forbids foreign vessels from operating in between US ports. Scandinavian World Cruises, led by Bruce Nierenberg, a former NCL executive (and later founder of Premier Cruises), was convinced that they could change this, but instaed found US lawmakers far more resistant than expected to change. The "solution" was to purchase and refit two smaller vessels, and to operate the new ship (SCANDINAVIA) from New York to Freeport, Bahamas, with passengers and cars then transferring to one of the other ships to Florida. The venture foundered, the SCANDINAVIA was pulled from the route, and the other ships remained, their primary function now being day-long gambling cruises from various Florida ports to Freeport. DFDS appointed Niels-Erik Lund as President of Scandinavian World Cruises in 1982 as this transition was taking place. Scandinavian World Cruises became SeaEscape, and was sold in the mid-1980s by DFDS, Lund going along with it. Lund and the investors of SeaEscape founded International Shipping Partners in 1987, and proceeded to invest in various passenger shipping businesses worldwide, as well as peddling their services as ship managers (to Premier, for instance).

ISP became notorious in connection with the 1990 fire aboard the SCANDINAVIAN STAR. The SCANDINAVIAN STAR had operated between Tampa and Freeport since 1984 for SeaEscape, which during that time left the hands of DFDS and became, essentially, ISP's first venture. The ship had been sold in 1990 to another one of ISP's associated companies, and put in service between Oslo and Fredrikshavn. Less than a month later, an arsonist (perhaps a disgruntled crew member) set fire to a bundle of laundry. The entire inside of the ship burned, and 158 people were killed. Investigation revealed that the ship did not have proper fire protection. While several officers and the owners of the Danish "front company" that supposedly ran the ship were taken to court and held responsible, a private investigation was led by survivors and family members of deceased victims, which led to the conclusion that the ship had never been sold before, but rather that ISP was still responsible. (By this time it was too late to take anyone to court.) In the meantime, the ship was towed to Southampton where she was laid-up under the name CANDI. In 1994, she was sold to ISP (this time under their own name), and was refitted in Italy and renamed REGAL VOYAGER. The ship operated on various routes in several parts of the world, most recently between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. The ship is presently laid-up at Port of Spain, Trinidad, and available for charter. ISP has denied involvement with the ship during the time of the accident, claiming that she was sold by SeaEscape at which point they had nothing more to do with her until buying her at auction in 1994. Because of the inability to re-open the official investigation, it is thought that the entire story of the SCANDINAVIAN STAR disaster has not been unravelled (and will probably not be), however widespread blame has been placed on ISP for allegedly negligently operating the ship, and this has put a black cloud so to speak over all of ISP's ventures since then, and seriously eroded their credibility. Apparently they have become quite notorious in Norway and Demark, Niels-Erik Lund's attitude during a television interview on state-run Danish television has been described as "evasive". A Google search for "International Shipping Partners" came up with this Norwegian site on the topic, unfortunately, it is in Norwegian, so I cannot read it - but it looks quite interesting and demonstrates the interest in Norway and Denmark in ISP and their involvement with what is, of course, one of the worst and most well-known recent maritime disasters, along with ESTONIA and HERALD OF FREE ENTERPRISE (the operators have in all cases come under intense criticism).

Apparently the Danish authorities have re-opened their investigation of this disaster, with new allegations that the fire may have been intentionally set by crew with the knowledge and approval of SeaEscape/ISP management in an insurance fraud scheme. (You may recall that the generally accepted hypothesis was that the fire was set by a disgruntled crew member who later died in the fire he allegedly set.) This strikes me as very odd, seeing as they actually bought the ship back and spent a considerable sum rebuilding her as REGAL VOYAGER... But what HAS apparently been quite well-established is that SeaEscape owned the ship, that SeaEscape was part of ISP, and that they were responsible for the negligent operation of the ship. This is the most I can gather on this very interesting case, as I do not speak a word of Norwegian or Denmark. Perhaps some of our Scandinavian-based members could elaborate (as this is much more well-known in that part of the world)?

[ 05-10-2003: Message edited by: cruiseny ]

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-10-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Frad Kassner was never an executive with ISP, he was one of the founders and Chairman of Go-Go Tours. He was also the founder of Fantasy Cruises, having chartered the Britanis and later selling the Fantasy brand to Chandris.

Fred Kassner got back into the game with Regal in 1993. I believe the ISP involvement stemmed from an executive at ISP also being a part owner. A few years after the inception, Stu Graff became a partner, I believe buying out the other. When Fred Kassner past away, his daughter Michelle took over his interest in tandem with Graff. For all intents and purposes, Graff has been running the show since 1996 or so. I first me him in 1996 and he is an excellent businessman and lavished a lot of love and money on the ship.

Additionally, it is not that surprising that the address of the Empress's registered owner is the same as ISP. Why is the Oceanic's owner located at the same address of Seahwak Maritime? And why is the registered address of Regatta and Insgnia's owners in Monaco? It's the address of Matinoli, the marine and technical managers of the ships.

Doug, until one has a deeper understanding of the intricate inner workings of the cruise industry, one shouldn't make base assumptions. Perhaps it's wiser to ask questions or for confirmation than make statements.

--Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-11-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoBe Tim:
Frad Kassner was never an executive with ISP, he was one of the founders and Chairman of Go-Go Tours.

From ISP's Oct. 1998 Newsletter, Page 8:

quote:
Mr. Fred Kassner, owner of Go Go Tours and Liberty Travel, part owner of ISP until 1993, and a major investor in many of the ISP-managed vessels, passed away on October 6.

quote:
Additionally, it is not that surprising that the address of the Empress's registered owner is the same as ISP.

I didn't say it was surprising... Just stated that it was.

Anyhow, I trust the person on another group (you know which I mean) who said that according to Lloyd's, ISP was listed as her registered owner, as I have no information counteracting that.

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: cruiseny ]

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-11-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Fred had a monetary investment in the company, he was not an executive.

Lloyd's is certainly not an authority whome I would question except in this case, it's very well known that Michelle Kassner and Stu Graff were the (majority) owners. I won't say that ISP wasn't heavily invloved, but in this case, they are not the owners.

--Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 05-11-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
Maybe with the demise of Regal, you may see Liberty Travel involved in some other aspect of cruising sometime in the future, as the itineraries and their business plan was highly succesfull! I think it's just the engine thing that took them down, otherwise their product was excellent!

So who knows what's in store?

Reliable sources say Michelle has NO interest in getting back into the cruise business (as in owning a cruise line). It was her father's idea and she wanted out anyway. That's why Regal was in the midst of trying to sell their operations when this all happened.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.