- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Controversial Subject

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Controversial Subject
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 02-03-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that I have your attention, how many message board posters it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: 422.

1 to change the lightbulb and post it to the board that the bulb has been changed.

14 to respond and share similar experiences.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing lightbulbs.

27 to point out spelling errors and grammatical errors in postings about changing lightbulbs.

53 to flame the spell-checkers.

156 to write to the administrator to complain about the lightbulb discussion and its inappropriateness to the board.

111 to defend the relevance of the lightbulb discussion.

27 to post website addresses where one can see different examples of lightbulbs.

14 to complain that the website addresses are incorrect and post correct ones.

12 to "leave the board forever" because they can't handle the lightbulb controversy.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 02-03-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like it, I like it.
Part of your message seems to be "lighten up".

Seems to me that very often the subject of cruiseship vacations is taken far too seriously in some areas.

Personally, I am preparing to post some of the most revealing photograhs ever taken aboard Sunbird with my brand new 4X digital camera. I can hardly wait to start and see if it will be up to acceptable standards for this board.

Don't worry.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-03-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...is it necessary to tip the lightbulb changers, and how much?

I'm sure that there must also be a "Gay" issue here, somewhere, as well?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 02-03-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must be among the 156....

Great parallel Joe!

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 02-03-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love it !!!
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 02-03-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by topgun:
I
Personally, I am preparing to post some of the most revealing photograhs ever taken aboard Sunbird with my brand new 4X digital camera.

Topgun,

Make sure you send copies to Malcolm and I post-haste as we will need to study your work before we can allow it to be posted.

I assume the revealing photo's are technology oriented.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-03-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
I assume the revealing photo's are technology oriented.

I certainly hope not!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 02-03-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With tongue firmly in cheek...

You missed...

Amerikanis demanding the head of the chief engineer, because bulbs NEVER blow on Costa ships.

PamM writing to the cruise line, politely demanding a full refund and a free cruise as compensation for the inconvenience while the bulb was being fixed.

MS Grumple searching through dozens of shoes on the cabin floor, to see whether the bulb-changing-operative leaves a tips envelope.

Topgun flipping his fancy new handycam over to night-vision to go, ahem, bird-watching in the darkness.

Desirod6 offering to hold the bulb steady while someone else screws it in.

Barryboat reminiscing that things were better when bulbs were gas-powered.

SkyJ vowing to travel with Carnival next time, because their bulbs are brighter.

Eroller writing to the CEO of the lightbulb company, suggesting they merge with P&O and bring in a bit of quality control.

Sread gambling the price of the lightbulb on double-zero on the roulette wheel. And losing.

Malcolm pointing out that the lightbulb was invented in London and demanding that a fresh one be shipped out from Tilbury.

And CruiseNY scurrying off into the darkness, because he broke the bulb in the first place.

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 02-03-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Put me in the 111 category - and - I agree with Topgun - we need to 'lighten up'!

Hurry up with those photos, please. With a high % of Brits on board they may be , shall I say, enlightening.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
kaiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 3370

posted 02-03-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for kaiser   Email kaiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And then there's me, freakin' out 'cause the dangers of a burnt out bulb are being over exagerated and sensationalized!

Regards, Kaiser

Posts: 212 | From: Vancouver, B.C. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-03-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HeHeHe

Steve,

Namlit and I are both lighting designers. When the bulb blows,I will not relamp,but change the space into a daylight harvesting system. No light bulbs necessary.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sread:
[QB]With tongue firmly in cheek...

You missed...

Desirod6 offering to hold the bulb steady while someone else screws it in.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-03-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe we should redesign the light bulbs, well at least light bulbs are round and not box shaped. Did you know that the Dutch company Philips supplied all the lighting for then QE2!

Joe, I hope you have a special program that keeps track of the statistics or did you calculate all numbers yourself?

I for one am glad we use light bulbs and not candles or else we had to debate if we use a lighter or matches to flame them.

Best, Onno

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: Onno ]

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-03-2003 08:06 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And CruiseNY scurrying off into the darkness, because he broke the bulb in the first place.

No, he's still around, but on another board doing his "thing"!

Topgun don't forget to sent me the pictures, as I still cannot pick them up from the Photo Gallery. Thanks.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: sympatico ]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 02-03-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can change a lightbulb??????? Do they come with instructions????

And here I thought that it meant you had to go buy a new lamp!

With all of the money I'll save not buying new lamps, maybe I can afford to take an extra cruise each year!

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 02-03-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
No, he's still around, but on another board doing his "thing"!

Not only am I "around", I'm here too, except I'm no longer doing my "thing" (by popular request).

Before anyone begins having a heart attack, I'm not going to start posting here again, aside from this one, so for your own good please do not start a flame war over this. This post is here exclusively in the interest of "full disclosure". Those who prefer to talk behind the backs of others would be advised to discuss me in a private topic.

People do post good information here sometimes, so I read it. It can also be fun to watch "controversial subjects" when one is not the subject.

I shall now once again recede indefinitely behind my one-way mirror. If this message causes a large stir, you can rest assured that I won't be a part of it. If it doesn't, congratulations.

PS: Please note that there will not be any replies to replies to this message. Again, this is by popular request.

PPS: I will not be responsible for any heart attacks, strokes, breakdowns caused by this message.

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-03-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well written!
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 02-03-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So true Joe, I'm more than a little embarrassed to say that I am guilty of some *most* of those points. Some times its just hard to resist a good discussion, even if the topic isn't cruising! Remember: "Phillips- Light Bulbs That Last.™"
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 02-04-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beezo - The one questioning whether this is the right bulb or not!
Posts: 865 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.