- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Do you do it? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Do you do it?
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-10-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I received an e-mail from a gentleman asking me if I knew what percentage of passengers take a video camera on a cruise. Since I don't have an answer I thought I'd post the question here to see what you all said.

I always bring one plus a still camera as well. Next cruise I may even bring a digital camera as well.

How about you folks?

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 03-10-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Digital camera has replaced the video for us.
Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-11-2002 04:42 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a traditionalist, I take an SLR Camera!
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
scorpio
First Class Passenger
Member # 1245

posted 03-11-2002 05:02 AM      Profile for scorpio     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I take a Video camera, film camera and a digital camera. The video camera captures more of the atmosphere, but I also like to keep still images.
Posts: 92 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Renegade4
First Class Passenger
Member # 392

posted 03-11-2002 06:36 AM      Profile for Renegade4   Author's Homepage   Email Renegade4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to take our video camera and a 35mm still camera. I then bought a digital (still) camera and taking all three just got to be too much (especially on longer cruises where packing space is at a premium.)

Now that the number of airline carry-on bags has been reduced to only one, in most cases, trying to pack, espacially on the return flight, any breakable "treasures" we might have purchased on the cruise, along with the last morning "stuff" that is needed after packing the "checked" bags the last night of the cruise, trying to fit in the video camera was really not worth the hassle.

Seeing the condition (deterioration) of our checked bags after each cruise definitely does not give me a "fuzzy" feeling about packing anything breakable in the checked baggage.

So, to make a long post short, I don't lug our video camera any longer.

R4

Posts: 57 | From: Kingston, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-11-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't even take a camera on my trip last month. Maybe on the next trip, I'll take it, but who knows. Stopped taking the video camera years ago and I just can't see buying a digital camera for myself, also too expensive.
Right now I am in the process of going through all our photo albums and throwing out pictures of people I don't remember, ships, I don't know the name of (taken by better half) and pictures of islands of which I have no idea what they are. So far have thrown out over 700 pixs and lots more to go!
So you can see I really don't want any more pictures, nor do my kids when I am gone!

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
LizB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1243

posted 03-11-2002 09:31 AM      Profile for LizB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have taken a video camera on all our cruises since 1993 and have wonderful film from all over the world. The problem now is that we are running out of space for all the VCR tapes! On the World Cruise last year my husband took 20-hours of video, but we managed to get it all onto four VCR tapes. We do go back and look at the videos more than still picture of the past...especially enjoying places like Israel and Egypt where we probably will never return to the way things are now. It was thanks to Sympatico that we originally bought a video camera after we sailed with them in the early 90's.
Posts: 133 | From: S.Dennis,MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-11-2002 11:19 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizB:
The problem now is that we are running out of space for all the VCR tapes! On the World Cruise last year my husband took 20-hours of video, but we managed to get it all onto four VCR tapes.

If you have access to video editing facilities, it is great to be able to edit hours of footage into some thing more watchable!

A friend of mine decided to start video filming Weddings, to make some extra cash. He spent all day and all evening videoing his first one. He began in the morning at the Bride's house and finished at midnight at the reception. He then spent hours adding music, titles and editing it down to a very concise and watchable 2 hours. It was a very professional product indeed.

He presented the finished article to the bride and groom, and they were horrified. They demanded the full fifteen hours!

Of course they are unlikely to ever watch it in full.

What has all this to do with ships - I don't know?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
LizB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1243

posted 03-11-2002 02:26 PM      Profile for LizB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good idea, Malcolm. In fact, my husband has thought of doing just that and then perhaps showing several good ones at the local Senior Center here on Cape Cod...just for their enjoyment and at no charge. Maybe sometime when he isn't busy finding something else to do!! But, it is a good thought.
Posts: 133 | From: S.Dennis,MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-11-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK Malcolm, so what do you edit the tapes with? I have a pile [maybe 50] compact vhs tapes. Promise myself every year, I'll get them edited! I have a basic Hama editor..too laborious, I can capture onto the PC, but never found a program that allows me to edit as I want, and put back on video? What does one use?

As to the camera it doesn't get taken anymore, except by the daughter when she's feeling keen. The tapes get watched once and never see the light of day again, even got some that haven't been seen.

I use a digital camera and that takes short .avi s, sufficient for my needs. I think the video camera is on the way out personally. Too much to lug about when a small digi camera will do the lot [just not the same quality for watching on a TV or showing to a group of people at once].

7 years or sos ago it seemed like the majority of people on their holidays walked around seeing things through their video camera, but it doesn't seem that way anymore.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-11-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
OK Malcolm, so what do you edit the tapes with?

Easy...at work we have £20,000 of AVID Digital Video Editing equipment! Although I can use it, i'm not really into video images.

You could of course do some very basic editing of VHS tapes with two domestic VCR's linked together. They are cheap enough these days! You could also add a title/effects generator. Some VCR's allow you to dub music over the image too.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-11-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Easy...at work we have £20,000 of AVID Digital Video Editing equipment!

La Crème de la crème I believe! Ah well...I do have some s/w but never fully explored...too time consuming..one day. My camcorder can do the titles and what not, and I've tried the vcr/vcr method but takes ages and I get fed up with it. I am too impatient. I want to be able to swap bits around, which you can't doing that.

Pam

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 03-11-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with Malcolm; there's just an SLR around my neck!
Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
scorpio
First Class Passenger
Member # 1245

posted 03-12-2002 02:52 AM      Profile for scorpio     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LizB
The solution to video cassette storage is to copy your video onto CD, using computer software to manage the editing. With current compression technology, you can get more than 3 hours of film onto an 80 minute CD. You can then skip to your favourite sections immediately, without waiting for Fast-forward or Rewind. You can also freeze frame to print a still picture. If you already have a PC, the additional hardware and software required should cost less than most video cameras. The other advantage is that the digital image on a CD is not affected by magnetic fields, like Video tape. Keep filming - your films will not fade as quickly as your memory.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: scorpio ]

Posts: 92 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 03-12-2002 05:52 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last cruise just took a tiny compact, but on the World Cruise took a Digital Video Recorder which took stills as well, 2 compacts, one SLR (do you think I was a bit paranoid about things malfunctioning and being left with nothing). Needless to say the video's have been transferred to tapes but not edited, I have Sutdio DV plus but have not got to grips with it yet, just haven't got the time.

Cheers
Mary

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 03-12-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bring 6 cameras, 5 are 35mm and 1 110 camera. I usually take about 500-600 rolls of film equal amounts
of 100,200 speed for outdoor
views. And 400-800 speed for
interior shots.
There is always a Kodak moment for me on a cruise.
The blasted brochures are useless. It's all words and
hardly anything to look at.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-12-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI:
I bring 6 cameras, 5 are 35mm and 1 110 camera. I usually take about 500-600 rolls of film equal

Dambrosi are you professional photographer? I couldn't bare the thought of looking after that haul on holiday. Making sure they didn't get stolen, broken etc.
500 rolls of film? WOW, what does it cost to develop? even if doing it yourself it must add up to a fair sum.

Wouldn't mind being invited around to see the holiday snaps though, must be a darn sight better than the normal ones that get thrust at me.

Pam

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-12-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:

Right now I am in the process of going through all our photo albums and throwing out pictures of people I don't remember, ships, I don't know the name of (taken by better half) and pictures of islands of which I have no idea what they are. So far have thrown out over 700 pixs and lots more to go!

sympatico how could you!? Why not post some [the ships not people ], I am sure the knowledgable maritimers in here will know what they are and even when and where!

Pam

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-12-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sympatico,

I would be happy to accept your rejected ship pictures. If you still have them I can arrange to have them picked up. Let me know.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-12-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry - a lot are gone, but when I resume the sorting I will see if there any of ships and will send them to you, Joe.

Pam - don't have a scanner, so there is no way I could have posted them.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 03-13-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PamM,
I'm not a professional photographer. But some of my
photos come out that way. I usually get my film processed at Target or Walmart. I don't get to use
all of my film. But I take
lots of Kodak type moments.
As I've said before, brochures don't show interiors and the days are practically gone when you could get special brochures
that show the deck plans and
interiors as well. Costa, Chandris Lines used to do that. I'm glad I have a few
of those booklets.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
FloridaLvr
First Class Passenger
Member # 2764

posted 04-29-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for FloridaLvr        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Still pictures, whether digital or not, do not do justice without your video camera! The videos capture & bring back memories for whenever you want to 'go back'!
I still take my digital camera & camcorder!
As for the carry-ons: they let you take 1 each PLUS the camera bag. I just put my billfold in with my cameras & pack my purse in my carry-on.
You can still take 1 carry-on each plus 1 personal
item-such as lap-top, purse.

Posts: 18 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 04-30-2002 03:34 AM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bought a Sony handycam in the Caribbean. It cost USD 1300 when the price at home was GBP 1500.
Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Budgie
First Class Passenger
Member # 2902

posted 04-30-2002 06:00 AM      Profile for Budgie   Email Budgie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On my last cruise I took a camcorder for the first time as well as a still 35mm camera. Looking back on the pictures from the still camera I would be happy to show most of them to friends and colleagues but the video footage will remain locked away forever. I'm no Spielberg and after this effort never will be. Next time it will just be the still camera.
As for digital, the expense of a good quality camera, at least 2.2million pixels plus a compatible printer re quality, software, hardware etc. is not a justifiable expense for me. I only use my camera on holidays and family occasions so I'll be sticking to 35mm.

Dave

Posts: 174 | From: Liverpool: The world in one city. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-30-2002 11:02 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sread:
I bought a Sony handycam in the Caribbean. It cost USD 1300 when the price at home was GBP 1500.

So that is about 2100 USD in the U.K, opposed to 1300 in the Carib.

'Rip-Off' Britain strikes again!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.