- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » World Trade Centre Tragedy (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: World Trade Centre Tragedy
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 09-11-2001 09:46 AM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have just heard some sketchy details on the radio and can't open any web nesw sites. Does anyone have any information on what happened?

My heart goes out to all those involved,
Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-11-2001 09:52 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Two planes, one a hijacked American Airlines 767 and another a twin engine turbo prop, each hit one of the World Trade Center Towers - heavy loss of life.

A small plane has also reportedly hit the Pentagon (headquarters for US military) in Washington D.C. (about 8 miles from me) and another may have crashed in downtown D.C.

Bad day for the world.

Joe

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 09-11-2001 10:02 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The world has gone insane...the casualties could run into the thousands, which is the saddest part...our company has clients in the Trade Center, which has just collapsed...there will be hell to pay, you can be sure...
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 09-11-2001 10:29 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, Sweet Jesus! God bless all of the victims......

Here's the website of one of my local tv channels. They have had pretty good coverage. tv coverage

I just heard that 2 buildings in London have just been evacuated.

I'm shaking as I type this.......Both towers of the World Trade Center have collapsed.

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-11-2001 10:51 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Photos...

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PauloMestre
First Class Passenger
Member # 1613

posted 09-11-2001 11:06 AM      Profile for PauloMestre   Email PauloMestre   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
God have mercy on the souls of those that died in these dastardly attacks.

My prayers join the ones of all of the Portuguese nation for the people affected by these events.

The harm is done, now the rest of the world is waiting for the response of the U.S. government.

This is by far the most critical situation regarding worldwide security since the end of the Cold War.

I'm starting to think that since the Cuban missile crisis there is a possible event of a worldwide confrotation as a result of this events.

Regards

Paulo Mestre

Posts: 311 | From: Alhos Vedros, Setubal, Portugal | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 09-11-2001 11:25 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I just heard on the radio that American Airlines said that 164 people died on their 2 planes that were hijacked and crashed. They also still have 1 plane that is missing.

God have mercy on their souls........

AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 09-11-2001 11:39 AM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My sister and her husband are in New York just now... their hotel is about 2 miles from the WTC. We'll see.................

AJL

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 09-11-2001 11:49 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am about 5 miles from Washington Dulles Airport and was just out on the roof of our office building and it is eerily quiet. The only aircraft in the sky are an occasional fighter jet or military helicopter.

Rumor has it that there is still one hijacked aircraft in the area.

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-11-2001 11:57 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have been watching some of it on CNN but finally had to turn off the TV. It is very upsetting to us here in Canada and our hearts go out to all the families who have lost loved ones.

My daughter works on the 62nd floor of an office tower in downtown Toronto and when I think that this could happen here, I shudder.

The world has gone mad. Such devastation & loss of life - who are these fanatical madmen out there?

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 09-11-2001 12:09 PM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a very sad day for the US, and the rest of the world.

Many equate this on the same level as Pearl Harbor. I agree. Passions will be running very high here. Rightfully so.

The US will not be the same; our security will be strengthed because a lot of the problems came from within. We also need to start taking care of ourselves.

The perpetrators will be caught, whether individual or governments. There will be punishment.

There were probably more than 50,000 persons in the World Trade Center. The second highjacked plane was "removed" from being a threat. The perpetrators are at fault for everything that follows their acts.

Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 09-11-2001 12:43 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why would anyone want to hurt so many innocent people ?
This reminds me of the Achille Lauro.

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 09-11-2001 12:46 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this is all planned by an long Hand, this is never the work of some small, ill people.

One Candidate is Osama bin Laden, the Saudian Multi-Milliardeer, who has promised to attack American Cities and asked all Muslim to kill American Citicens.

The US is hated by a lot of Arabian People because their Politics always to benefit the Jews...

An other Candidate may be Saddam Hussein ?!

For Canada or Europe i see no direct Danger. They speak in the Near-Eastern-Conflict with both sides and are accepted by Arabs and Jews.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 09-11-2001 12:47 PM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There are a lot of sick people out there! I have heard that people on the West Bank are celebrating. Rotten SOB's!
titanicsteve
First Class Passenger
Member # 2142

posted 09-11-2001 12:51 PM      Profile for titanicsteve   Email titanicsteve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh for Jesus sake what has the world come to? What a horrid thing to do!! GOD BLESS ALL AND PLEASE NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!! Such a waste of life! I hope America tracks down the bas*ar*s!!!! Gog Bless!!!!!!!!
Posts: 510 | From: Ireland (near Titanic birthplace!!) | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 09-11-2001 01:56 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
what ever happens this is a day that will be in the history books.
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-11-2001 02:39 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My thoughts go out to everyone in the US, especially those in NYC and Washington or with friends/relatives there. AJL I do hope your sister makes contact soon. I understand a lot of cell and land lines are not working.

I saw the collapse on TV, with just prior to it, people hanging out the windows desperate. I couldn't watch anymore. I cannot even begin to understand the mentality of those responsible. Horrific and I was shaking here.

Thank you for the photos Joe, they will live on in the history books
A very sad day for all.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 09-11-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hello! Good news about my sister and her husband: they are both ok. They had left in the morning for a walk around the city but fortunately they had gone to the opposite direction from WTC.

I understand that there will be thousands of victims and I am deeply sorry for them and their families. I hope the US will do as it has promised - hunt down the people behind this tragedy.

Regards
Aleksi L.

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-11-2001 02:55 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All air traffic across Canada has been closed. All tall buildings in Toronto and I am sure in other cities have closed. Thank God, my daughter is home.
This day will go down in history.
I do hope they catch the barbaric b**t**ds that planned this.
Yes, I too heard that they were dancing in the streets in some middle Eastern countries. Sick, Sick sob's.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 09-11-2001 02:56 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Its absolutely tragic. I am in complete shock - I first heard it on the radio and thought it was a 2 seater Cessna or something similar, not TWO large passengers jets which can be configured with up to 300 seats each! I went to work and nobody believed me, and to be honest, I still can't believe it myself. At least judging by the footage it looks as if their deaths were quick, but I imagine the terror suffered by everyone was murder in itself.

God Bless, and please cherish life,
Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-11-2001 04:20 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amerikanis:

The US is hated by a lot of Arabian People because their Politics always to benefit the Jews...

For Canada or Europe i see no direct Danger. They speak in the Near-Eastern-Conflict with both sides and are accepted by Arabs and Jews.

You seem to forget Amerikanis, that Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.

All of the Arab countries are squalid dictatorships that violate human rights routinely. Example car accident in Saudia Arabia=3 years in jail for both parties. Women have no rights at all and many cannot show their faces, and get clitorectomies.

Do not forget the atrocities your country Germany inflicted on the Jews, Gypsys, homosexuals and intellectuals.

Had it no been for Hitler's massacre and the world ignoring it. Middle Eastern politics would be very different today.

Have you cruised on the Robert Ley in a 'Strength thru Joy cruise'?

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 09-11-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wonder if those attacks would cause Cruise Traffic to screech a halt.

Anyways, I had a bomb scare at my school, but they found no bomb.

And for those drunk devils in the Middle East who celebrate it, I hope they cry when teh U. S. finds those responsible and forwards them to the Netherlands!

Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pollysmom
First Class Passenger
Member # 2376

posted 09-11-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for Pollysmom   Author's Homepage   Email Pollysmom   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It was just posted on CNN that an aircraft carrier has been sent to New York and 5 battle ships are deployed along the east coast.

Another building has fallen in NYC and it is still burning.

They have even moved the Speaker of the House of Representatives to a 'safe house'. He is 3rd in line after the Pres. and VP.

Where do cruise ships go if they are not allowed into ports?
All US airports are closed until at least noon tomorrow.

The only country to offer condolences has been Israel. Where are the rest of them?

I have a terribly uneasy feeling that I have not had since Kennedy was shot.

If Kadafi had it bad; I think we'll all be hearing about a much more enthusiastic response - and soon.

God have mercy on us all.

Posts: 21 | From: New England | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dmitriy
First Class Passenger
Member # 128

posted 09-11-2001 05:44 PM      Profile for Dmitriy   Email Dmitriy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My prayers for everyone hurt and their loved ones...

I was going to spend the weekend in NYC (I live in CA), to see all the sites, etc. And I am still going. I REFUSE to be scared, to hide in my own country. This will not happen...

As far as Muslim militants go, how can you have a dialog with someone who belives to go to heaven if he dies taking a live of an enemy.

gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 09-11-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a terrible tragedy. We were sent home early since we were in a high rise. I have watched it all afternoon. Some of the scenes were so bad I don't even want to repeat them here.

I saw the scare they had in Canada, about one of the planes coming in they thought might be be high jacked. Thank heavens that turned out ok.

A third building that caught fire collasped a little while ago.

Please pray for all these poor people and there families.

I was suprised to find the web cam on the Empire State building is still active and giving views of the where the World Trade Towers were. You can see all the smoke.
I used Pam's link, under the Norcam post.

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.