- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Dream Cruise? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Dream Cruise?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-11-2001 09:45 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So what would be your dream cruise?

My definition of a dream cruise is one that you are unlikely to be able to afford, or find the time for, or perhaps it's on a ship/liner that is no longer with us? It could even be on one not built yet?

Malcolm

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Glencoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1181

posted 06-11-2001 12:20 PM      Profile for Glencoe   Email Glencoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm , a good question. For me it would have to be one of those round the world cruises that the "Empress Of Britain" used to do during the winter in the 1930's. Departing from New York, ending in Suothhampton and then a Trans Atlantic on say, the Normandie, and an overnight train trip back to Southern Ontario.
Posts: 41 | From: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-11-2001 02:06 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A world cruise on the Rembrandt, on the first leg, Canberra on the 2nd [Strathmore Suite], Victoria on the 3rd, Original Empress of Britain, and the Normandie [Rouen Suite] for the final leg.
The crew would have the 2 Lithuanian[s] who made the Rembrandt cruise such a wonderful trip.

Entertainment would be musicians from the Windham Hill Record label, and some off Broadway and A'vant Garde plays at sea.
Comedians would be Robin Williams, Gilda Radnor, Jerry Seinfeld, and Fran Dresher.
I would bring along 20 of my favorite friends, 7 of my family, and my favorite 20 business associates.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-12-2001 04:39 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any more?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 06-12-2001 07:00 AM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My dream cruise would be one that I could actually take. It would be on the Carnival Tropicale(since that's no longer possible one of the Holiday or Fantasy class ships would be ok), it would leave out of New York, cruise south for 2 days or however long it would take to go to Grand Cayman and STAY there for 2 days (like Bermuda), go to Barbados and STAY there for 2 days, return via Bermuda and stay there for 2 days and then return to New York. Malcolm or anybody, what would the travel time be between those ports??? What do you think of this itinerary????
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-13-2001 06:51 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O.K it's my turn. What makes my choices 'Dreams Cruises' is that I was either born in the wrong era or the wrong class to be able to undertake them.

Firstly I would have loved to have undertaken a transatlantic voyage, at top speed, on the Queen Mary. I'd settle for the Normandie if the QM was fully booked.

My ultimate cruise would be to Antarctica. Now I don't just want to go to the peninsular, I want to see Scott's Hut. The Marco Polo used to offer this, but the fare at 5 x a normal cruise fare, was out of my league.

Even better, a Russian Nuclear Icebreaker is going to circumnavigate Antarctica next year. The fare is about $40,000 - anyway they would not let me have all that time of work!

A Russian Icebreaker also goes to the Arctic pole too! Now that would be fun , but expensive!

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 06-13-2001 10:53 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi

My dream cruises would have been to sailed on the Queen Mary/Normandie/Empress of Britain 1930/Carmania/City of New York/Conte Biancamano - need I go on - we all seem to have a yearning to go back in time to experience the grand old liners, ofcourse we would have needed a much bigger bank balance then I think that we do need now to experience the modern ships afloat today.

Cheers
M.

PS: Anybody know what happened to Terry Donovan??

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 06-13-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to say that my all-time DREAM Cruise would be a crossing on the Queen Mary from New York to Southampton and then a turn-around back to New York on the ss United States at full speed.

Who wouldn't want to experience first-hand a voyage on the incredible Normandie?

I would also have to say that it would be a thrill to have crossed on the Olympic, or the Maurentania.

My ultimate Dream Cruise would be a world cruise aboard the new QM2!!

Actually I wouldn't mind taking a spin across the galaxy on the starship Enterprise NCC-1701D. I partially lived out this dream by sneaking onto the star trek sets at Paramount Studios back in 1987 & 88. I have a picture sitting in the captain's chair on the actual bridge of the Enterprise NCC-1701D, I explored the sets to 10forward, sickbay, the transporter room and the engine room.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-13-2001 06:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
Actually I wouldn't mind taking a spin across the galaxy on the starship Enterprise NCC-1701D.

Trust Barryboat to move the goal posts by picking the ultimate ship, be it a star-ship!

I wonder if Joe has a dream cruise???

M3MAN2K1
First Class Passenger
Member # 2102

posted 06-14-2001 07:02 AM      Profile for M3MAN2K1   Email M3MAN2K1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My dream cruise would probily be on... well as stupid as it sounds Adventure of the Seas to Ocho Rios, Panama Canal, Bahamas, St Thomas, and Virgin Islands for a very cheep price... Then my family could go because thats where we want to go! I want to go to Ocho Rios and Panama Canal. My dad wants to to St Thomas and the Virgin Islands, and my mom and sis, they would enjoy going back to Bahamas for what the 5th time! Dan
Posts: 106 | From: FLORIDA! | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-15-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe?
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 06-15-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

While I really like many of the ships today, the cruise product is becoming more and more homogenized so my dream cruise would have to be an Atlantic crossing in the early 50's on the Queen Mary.

I actually did cross on the Constitution in 1959 when I was one but don't remember much about that particular cruise.

I think that time period would have provided the right combination of comfort and convenience. Leaving from New York city would have been grand and a trip through Europe at the time would have been fascinating.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-15-2001 12:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Several of us have now mentioned the Queen Mary as our ship of dreams.

This is a clear endorsement that they should put some engines back in her and get her sailing across the Atlantic, where she belongs!

To save money they could use the engines destined for the QM2!

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-15-2001 03:10 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
Several of us have now mentioned the Queen Mary as our ship of dreams.

This is a clear endorsement that they should put some engines back in her and get her sailing across the Atlantic, where she belongs!

Malcolm,

With all the misguided efforts of trying to turn the QM into something she is not has resulted in gutting her lower decks to be museum that never occurred. Her bulkheads and structure have been weakened and concrete had to be poured into her hull since removing the boilers made her top heavy.

She is not sea worthy even for a tow.

SOLAS would require removing her solid hardwood interiors,[only 1/8" thk veneer is allowed] her stair towers do not go from top to bottom; another future SOLAS requirement. Restoration and replication of her 1930's furnishings is the easy part: huge economy of scale.

Turning the France into a warm weather ship has emasculated most of her charm: mostly from bad interior design, and the 2 extra decks.

To make QM suitable for a 21 century cruise passenger, most of her charm would have to be eliminated.

Rembrandt, currently SOLAS compliant, famous, and ready to cruise has no takers so far.

So it is unlikely for investers to re-comission a 70yo ship nor the SSUS for that matter.

Most people do not have time for an X-lantic crossing.

Leave QM in Long Beach, restore her old furnishings and leverage her as a museum and hotel for the current and future generations to enjoy, even if only a 2 hour tour.

PS: If Carnival builds a cruise terminal there, passengers can see by comparison how ugly the modern cruise ships are now.

Passengers who fly in to LA can overnight on QM, walk to the modern gambling scow they will embark on for their cruise.

QM makes money, passengers have convinience, everyone wins

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-15-2001 03:37 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
desirod6, apart from the few minor difficulties that you have mentioned, what's the problem?

I did call this thread 'Dream' cruise! Any more CruiseTalkers out there with dreams?

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 06-15-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My dream cruise would be similar to one offered by Cunard's Vistafjord (now Caronia) several years ago. It was a 30 day round trip cruise out of California titled, Around The Pacific. It toured all the famous South Pacific islands- Easter, Marquesas, Bora Bora, Tahiti, Pitcairn, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Hawaii and return to California. For some reason, Cunard has not repeated this cruise. I note that Radisson's new Seven Seas Mariner is offering a similar cruise in September. We can dream.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 06-16-2001 02:32 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Desirod6,

"With all the misguided efforts of trying to turn the QM into something she is not has resulted in gutting her lower decks to be museum that never occurred."

Actually there was a museum in the gutted areas of the Queen Mary at one time, but it was removed for some reason. It was a (Jacque Coustu)sp? museum that even had a tank with real live sharks.

Desirod is correct unfortunately....the Queen Mary has been so structurally modified, that she is no longer considered a ship, rather...she is considered a building. There would have to be some pretty dramatic structural work done to the ship to even make her ocean-worthy for a tow. Japan had made bids to purchase the Queen Mary several years ago. They wanted to tow the Queen Mary to Japan. I think that plan was axed, because of the potentially risky trans-pacific tow.

But as Malcolm pointed out....this is a thread of "fantasies".

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-18-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do any more CruiseTalkers have 'Dream Cruises'?

(Or are you all so rich that you have achieved all of your dreams?)

M3MAN2K1
First Class Passenger
Member # 2102

posted 06-18-2001 10:07 AM      Profile for M3MAN2K1   Email M3MAN2K1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, first I would go on the Carnival Spirit for 8 days leaving from Tampa to the exoitic carbibbean, then I would board the RCCL Rdadiance of the Seas haveing a suite with a balconey, and do a 12 day "special" cruise ending at Vancouver, then after that I would board the Summit to go on a 20 day Hawaii and Alaska. After all that, the Carnival Victory would take me through the Panamal Canal lasting about 7days, and to St Thomas and then back to Port of Tampa. The whole cruise would last 47days! WOW THAT'S HEVEAN!
Dan

Posts: 106 | From: FLORIDA! | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul Koroluk
Just Boarded
Member # 366

posted 06-19-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for Paul Koroluk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My dream cruises:

1. A 1949 westbound crossing of the General W.G. Haan. After WWII, one of the tasks given to this former troopship was the ferrying of “Displaced Persons” emigrating to the United States. My parents and elder brother, then only three, sailed from Germany to New York on this ship in the fall of 1949. I would like to book passage on that crossing, though I would prefer that this be a working holiday, and therefore ask that I be allowed to sign on as a mess steward.

2. A long and leisurely Southern Mediterranean cruise aboard Stella Polaris during her early Bergen Line days. Perhaps lines like Seabourn or Silverseas offer something similar today, but I would willingly trade the modern luxuries offered by those fleets for the quiet luxury of expansive teak decks, carved wood and etched glass interiors, and, above all, that special enjoyment of sailing in a ship that looks like a ship.

3. A QE2 World Cruise. I still maintain hope that my wife and I will be able to enjoy such a cruise before SOLAS or economics retire our favorite living ocean liner, but, since this is a dream cruise, I will book passage in the Midships Suite on a World Cruise departing not in the traditional mid-winter, but in the spring, allowing QE2 to travel up the west coast of North America, cruise the Inside Passage and call at Alaska and the Aleutians before descending to call at a handful of Japanese ports including at least one port in Hokkaido, then Yokohama, Shimizu, and Nagoya.

pak

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Paul Koroluk ]

Posts: 7 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-23-2001 03:48 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any more dreamers out there?
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 06-23-2001 04:06 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1....Yamal to the Pole.

2....Kapitan Klebnikov - 2 months in the Canadian Arctic - the Northwest Passage.

3....Kapitan Dranitsyn around the Antarctic, 12,000 miles, 67 days.

4....$100,000 + pp...need to win the lottery for those!!!!
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-23-2001 06:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gohaze, I share your dreams, including the dream of the lottery win!

I wonder if Antarctica will ever become as popular as Alaska? A few more ships visiting that area would certainly increase competition, and reduce fares*. I'd love to go.

(*Environmental damage is a subject for another post!)

Bettyboop
Just Boarded
Member # 2051

posted 07-01-2001 04:31 PM      Profile for Bettyboop   Email Bettyboop   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm new to this board but I have to tell you I like it so far. My dream cruise is a very simple one, since I've only been on three any cruise with my husband, and good food of course would, be a dream.
Posts: 2 | From: Georgia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-01-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard, Bettyboop.

You dreams are very realistic!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.