- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » What time's Dinner?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What time's Dinner?
Ceefa's Mate
First Class Passenger
Member # 1857

posted 04-18-2001 06:09 AM      Profile for Ceefa's Mate        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, A general question to get everybody going!
What dinner sitting do you choose and why?

(I bet I already know the answer but it will be interesting to see if I'm right!)

Posts: 77 | From: Buckinghamshire, England | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 04-18-2001 06:56 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is always a good subject and one that has been discussed in a variety of posts under different headings but it is always nice to have a recap and hear from any newcomers.

Our personal preference is the early seating because we are relatively early risers, myself for instance about 5:30 but my better half will usually sleep a little later. We also enjoy having the full evening together after supper. We don't feel rushed to get back to the ship when on shore as there are always alternate dinner choices available throughout the evening if we are running a tad late.
As far as getting ready for the formal dinner, we just plan the extra time into the works for that particular day and don't plan any late shore excursions.

EatEatEat,YahYahYah!!!

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-18-2001 08:54 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Second definitely!

My wife and I like to eat unrushed. We like to linger. We like to chat with people. On "le France" and QE2 there was no need to rush! The dining room was a delightful experience it itself.

ON "Nordic Prince" in 1975, there was a "third setting" which was the crew waiting at the gates for us to finish. This we did not like.

I feel that those who really enjoy good food will opt for the later sitting. I somehow get the motto for early diners has been:
"Gentlement Start Your Engines!" rather than "Dinner is now being served!"

'nuff said.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ceefa's Mate
First Class Passenger
Member # 1857

posted 04-18-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for Ceefa's Mate        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One All!!!
.........Cast your votes now!.............

(Could my 'guess' be wrong?)

Posts: 77 | From: Buckinghamshire, England | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 04-18-2001 09:32 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Second Seating always. We like to be out on deck when the ship is sailing from port and if we were on first, we would have to be in the cabin getting dressed.
Also, we like to sit outside by the pool until 5-6pm, as it is the nicest time of day, no crowds around and just peaceful.
On the last couple of cruises my daughter and I would go up to the Crow's nest for a drink and just relax before going down to the cabin to get dressed.
We also both like to eat dinner later in the evening.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
James
First Class Passenger
Member # 1351

posted 04-18-2001 10:32 AM      Profile for James   Email James   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Early seating for the same reasons as stated above. We are early risers and enjoy seeing the sunrise plus my spouse is diabetic and needs to eat at specific time intervals to avoid glucose problems. The interval at the early seating is long enough for us to sit. We have never felt rushed on returning from shore, if we're late they make accomodations either with a buffet or open seating.
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois, Home of Lincoln and great graft | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-18-2001 10:42 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Second sitting!

We like to have a full day in the port or do a full day shore excursion. Eating at 6.30pm is too much of a rush - hardly time to get back to the cabin and have a shower!

I also like to be on deck as the ship leaves the port.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-18-2001 11:27 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Always Second if we're on a ship w/ two choices - as we eat late at home as it is - plus I love being on deck as we sail then have a chance to go back to the cabin and change.

Usually we choose a ship w/ one or open sitting for dinner though - to save the aggrevation of having to decide.

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
billybob
First Class Passenger
Member # 1902

posted 04-18-2001 11:35 AM      Profile for billybob     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a one time cruiser (so far, Carnival Sensation '94) and my wife and I had 1st seating. Didn't seem to be too bad as far as being rushed or anything. It did give me a chance to catch the earlier bingo a couple times...and I won $400 once.

I have to agree with the late seating arguments now though. I am going on the Carnival Spirit this Sept. to Hawaii. I have a cabin in the very aft of the ship and I can't wait to be sitting on my balcony, drink in hand, watching us leave another beautiful port or watch a sunrise or sunset. Early seating wouldn't allow for much of that now would it?

I have heard Carnival is offering added seatings for dinner....6:00, 6:45, 7:45 & 8:30?? if I'm not mistaken...except on the Spirit also? Anyone tried this lately? Is it better, worse, neutral?

Posts: 52 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 04-18-2001 02:32 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We will not book a cruise unless guaranteed second seating. Like Sympatico we like to relax on deck as the sun is setting then enjoy a pre-dinner drink in our cabin.

Second seating dinner seems more leisurely - but I guess it really depends on your normal eating habits. We normally dine about 8pm.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 04-18-2001 03:06 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2nd seating for us.
Sympatico nailed it on the head.
1)The pool deck is great after 5. Nap time.
2)We like the extra time to workout before dinner.
3)More time for pre-dinner cocktails.
4)No rush to get back from an excursion.
5)Fewer children eat late seating.
6)We stay up later when we eat later.
7)Better for formal nights. More time for the lady.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ceefa's Mate
First Class Passenger
Member # 1857

posted 04-18-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Ceefa's Mate        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its Now 11:20pm (local time) & the score is:-
1st sitting =3
2nd sitting =6

I was right all along! - I thought 2nd sitting to be the most popular! & is what we have always chosen.

However since I posted this question, I have found out that on our next cruise ( Mistral 4th May) the second sitting is likley to be @ 9:15pm! Tell me all you 2nd's - is this to late? what do you think?

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-18-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Second Sitting - no question - for all the reasons listed in previous posts.
Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 04-18-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do think that 9.00-9.15 is late for second sitting.

This was the same on Bolero, presumably to accommodate the Continental French passengers.

We switched to first sitting at 7.00. This turned out fine. We never felt rushed to prepare for dining, also, we never felt pushed to end our meal.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
ybobbi
First Class Passenger
Member # 1786

posted 04-18-2001 06:58 PM      Profile for ybobbi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Second Seating

We like to spend a full day out and about when we are at a port, then go back to the room, take a nap, and get ready for the evening activities.

Posts: 24 | From: ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 04-18-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Topgun - 9:00-9:15pm is far too late. In this case, if first was around 7-7:30pm, I would choose that.
A few years ago we were in St. Thomas docked at Havensight with just ONE other ship (can you imagine that - not 6 others) and the other ship was from Portugal or Spain or something. We met one of the crew members and he said the pax slept all day and partied all night. Obviously they have a very late dinner hour. Oh, so nice to be able to shop with only the paxs from our ship.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 04-19-2001 03:53 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was about to say that we have always been fortunate to get our choice of second sitting when I realised that our last ...(think, think, count, count)... nine cruises have all been single sitting. All right, up to that point we choose second and always got our choice.

M.S.Grumple, Who gives you that guarantee? To paraphrase Sam Goldwyn, a verbal guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Regards, Colin.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
James
First Class Passenger
Member # 1351

posted 04-19-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for James   Email James   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting that the majority here prefer second sitting! We have occasionally had difficulty getting our preferred first sitting because it was filled and lots of space on second!
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois, Home of Lincoln and great graft | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-19-2001 12:56 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by topgun:
I do think that 9.00-9.15 is late for second sitting.

This was the same on Bolero, presumably to accommodate the Continental French passengers.

We switched to first sitting at 7.00. This turned out fine. We never felt rushed to prepare for dining, also, we never felt pushed to end our meal.

I think it's too late for a cruise ship - but having done land vacations in both Spain and Portugal it seems to be the norm.

7.00/7.30 would be a good time but I can happily live with the 8.15 time slot.

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 04-19-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colin:

M.S.Grumple, Who gives you that guarantee? To paraphrase Sam Goldwyn, a verbal guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Regards, Colin.

Which is the reason our invoices usually state either "late seating confirmed" or "second seating requested".

While the latter is not really a guarantee it would probably carry a little weight if necessary.
We've never had a problem but will not book with a cruise line if they won't even make an effort to accommodate us.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 04-19-2001 06:34 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guess I should put my 2 cents worth in. We always request 1st seating, almost didn't get it last time as almost full while lots of space at 2nd. This was on HAL in January. We are also early risers and don't stay up "real" late. Like to relax and let dinner settle before going to bed. We have never felt rushed at first. The last time we traved with a large group, over 50 people, all but 8 requested first.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 04-24-2001 09:24 AM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well our survey might show second seating is most popular but we just got off the Crown Princess and first seating was overbooked. They were asking if anyone would like to change to second seating. We were happy to oblige as 6PM was just too early for us. Second seating is much more liesurely.

Ascendency listed reasons for choosing 2nd seating seating over first and I have to agree. I would just change #5 though and replace children with older folks, I guess it's all in how you look at things
Joan

Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blizzard54
First Class Passenger
Member # 1824

posted 05-03-2001 10:30 PM      Profile for Blizzard54   Email Blizzard54   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After prefering 2nd seating for many years we have now made the switch to main seating and now prefer that.
Posts: 118 | From: Seattle,WA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 05-05-2001 04:29 AM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We always go for second seating and usually that seems to be the most popular too. The exception was our Alaska trip when there was a very long wait list for first sitting, I think it was after all the trips people had been on and the entertainment in the evenings was quite low key too. We also felt that evening entertainment was catering more for first sitting passengers as quizzes etc took place during second sitting and everyone enjoyed them and said what good fun they were.
Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.