- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » The handiest thing to take on a cruise (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: The handiest thing to take on a cruise
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 02-18-2000 12:39 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used over the counter Merazine for
seasickness. But I don't have that
trouble anymore. I keep crazy glue
too. We check our medical bag all the time before we leave. And hey,
kids, do'nt forget the sunscreen.
I bring lots of film too, those brochures are lousy, they don't show
interiors of the ship we sail on.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 02-18-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm, good suggestion. My wife is not the great packer, but she is a great Recreation Coordinator. We never need an alarm clock since she is up at 5 am every morning, even when cruising! She tells me where we should go and she is never wrong about her choices.
Whenever I make the choice, things go badly.
She tells me to get up and dance, I dance.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 02-18-2000 03:27 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On HAL ships,you can get Tylenol for free from the ship's infirmary.There are small packages of them,given out when needed,the same as seasickness pills.

When I went on the Inaugural World Voyage of the new ROTTERDAM,I joined the ship in Rio de Janeiro and found to my horror that I had left my bottle of 250 Tylenol tablets at home.I need this medication for my arthritis and only realised I had none,at 10 o'clock at night in my hotel room. The hotel managed to find a pharmacy still open but they only had one bottle of 100. This was delivered by bicycle and cost me $35 US !!! I was shattered,as you can imagine.

Happily,when I boarded the ship the following day,I asked at the infirmary if they could sell me some Tylenol and that I needed 150... I was totally blown away when the nurse offered them to me for free. She even helped to count them out!!

Now,that is what I call SERVICE.
The moral to this tale,is never to give up...always ask....and nine times out of ten,you will be pleasantly surprised.

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
jessica
First Class Passenger
Member # 616

posted 02-19-2000 01:55 PM      Profile for jessica   Email jessica   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always take a collapsable cooler to keep in the room. It doesn't take a lot of space in your baggage and if you buy a good one, it won't leak. I usually tip the room steward at the beginning of the trip and ask that he keep ice in it all week and at each port, we just re stock. (beer, wine, sodas, water,etc.)
Posts: 11 | From: Winston Salem NC USA | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
Polaris
Just Boarded
Member # 1109

posted 02-19-2000 09:22 PM      Profile for Polaris   Email Polaris   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The most important item, for us, which we have never used but always carry, is a photocopy of our passport.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-20-2000 07:56 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ascendancy:

If a man makes a suggestion while walking in a forest, but there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Malcolm

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 02-20-2000).]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Molly
First Class Passenger
Member # 853

posted 02-20-2000 11:23 AM      Profile for Molly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm,

Probably. We know everything and would never steer our husbands wrong. I just don't understand why you menfolk won't believe it! LOL

Posts: 68 | From: Norman Park, GA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
29 again
First Class Passenger
Member # 1168

posted 04-01-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for 29 again     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the good advice-- took lots of notes
Posts: 18 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 04-02-2000 01:28 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a rather lengthy all-purpose pack/reminder list that I add to on occasion, although I think it's pretty complete now. I don't need everything for every trip, but it helps take some of the stress out of packing. A few things that weren't mentioned above: a nightlight for the cabin (especially if you're in an inside cabin - gets darker than anything I've ever experienced!), an address book with numbers for airlines, cruiseline, travel agent, insurance companies, bank/credit card hotlines and cruiseline membership cards, a small, folding alarm clock, plastic cable ties and bright ribon for securing and identifying our luggage (be sure to keep a small pocket knife handy for customs checks), itinerary copy in each piece of luggage. We've also found the multi-plug extension cord to be handy, but be careful not to overload the cabin's system - on poor, old Norway, I had to unplug my curling iron while using my hair dryer - the lights actually dimmed! I bring a few business cards, too. If someone offers to send a copy of a photo or something, I'll give them the business card, which is safer than giving out our home address. But if we make a new friend we know we want to keep in touch with, I'll put our address label on the back of the business card. Business cards are also safer in your luggage ID tags, by the way. You don't want your home address floating around the airports and such where anyone can see them.

Good question to ask, and I've picked up some good, new suggestions. Thanks!

KruzinKat

[This message has been edited by KruzinKat (edited 04-02-2000).]

Posts: 101 | From: Kingston, MA USA | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Winner
First Class Passenger
Member # 1188

posted 04-02-2000 05:22 PM      Profile for Winner   Email Winner   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We photocopy passports, credit cards, ATM cards, visas, and any other cards, etc. that would need replacing if lost (also drivers licenses if planning to rent a car). Leave one copy at home or with a friend and take one copy with you--invaluable if anything lost or stolen. Great ideas on this site--thanks.
Posts: 113 | From: Santa Rosa CA USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 05-23-2000 11:48 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to reinforce the usefulness of taking duct tape with you.

I was on a 2 week cruise on the MAASDAM very recently..just got back May 22nd.

At Barcelona Airport,before boarding the ship,my checked bag became caught somehow on the baggage conveyer belt and was ripped badly as 2 kind gentlemen valiantly tried to
lift my case. Finally,part of the case was left on the conveyer belt...it was the only way they could pull it off. So I was left with a brand-new case with the back hanging off.

I realized,sadly,that I had NOT packed any duck tape(sob!).However,during my cruise,I managed to cajole a large roll of it from the Front Office.I repaired the offending case and it withstood the long trip home from Barcelona,extremely well.

The moral of this tale is..DON'T FORGET THE DUCK TAPE 'cos accidents will happen!!!

TL

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-26-2000 03:51 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine never goes anywhere without having three ways of making a fire on his person! He's not even an arsonist? Mind you he is a little mad
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 08-21-2000 10:14 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scottylass,

Here is the thread you inquired about.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
NAbbott
First Class Passenger
Member # 1522

posted 08-21-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for NAbbott   Email NAbbott   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm,

I am a little bit behind this tread, but your friend sounds like he/she might be a Boy Scout!

My husband will kill me if I pack one more thing in the suitcases. But you all gave me several good ideas. I'll just have to figure out where to hide these extra necessities.

Posts: 23 | From: Monroe, LA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 08-21-2000 01:38 PM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank You very much Joe - I appreciate this very much.

Cheers - M.

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Justine
First Class Passenger
Member # 1335

posted 08-21-2000 08:06 PM      Profile for Justine   Email Justine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just bought a packing video from HAL this summer, showing us how to pack for an entire trip with just one suitcase, and a small overnite carry all. It really works. Best 16$ I ever spent. The video was not new, styles were outdated but talk about learning to pack minimalist. Since I travel alone a lot, I have one rule. If you cant carry it, dont take it. Everyone on the cruise could not believe how much I had in so few bags. From now on, that's how I'm packing. Best thing I brought was a portable mister fan.
Posts: 126 | From: Northern Ontario | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Premier
First Class Passenger
Member # 1463

posted 08-21-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for Premier     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We always take a smoke detector in case the smoke detector in our cabin can't be heard well.

Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey(Birthplace of the Emerald Seas) | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sailing
First Class Passenger
Member # 1283

posted 08-21-2000 10:30 PM      Profile for Sailing   Email Sailing   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having learned the hard way by getting drenched on several occasions, my husband and I each bring a small fold-up umbrella. Also, for disembarking at foreign ports where the airport x-ray machines are very strong, we carry a double-thick lead laminated pouch that will protect up to 1000 speed film from x-ray damage.

Before we go on a cruise, we also have a printed checklist that we store on the computer as to things to do before leaving for the cruise: canceling the newspaper, having the mail held, etc. and etc.

Posts: 13 | From: Boston, MA, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
James
First Class Passenger
Member # 1351

posted 08-22-2000 12:55 PM      Profile for James   Email James   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In addition to all the above, which are good suggestions, I always travel with a multi-tip (2 sizes slotted and 2 sizes Phillips) screwdriver and a 6-inch vise grip plier. The screwdriver is self explanatory; the plier is powerful enough with its compound leverage to straighten bent things and substitute for a wrench on almost any size nut or bolt, or to turn the control on an air conditioner from which some inconsiderate hotel has removed the knob!
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois, Home of Lincoln and great graft | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.