- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Vaccinations

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaccinations
garrys
First Class Passenger
Member # 581

posted 12-29-1999 12:16 PM      Profile for garrys   Email garrys   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can anybody out there advise my wife and I on the vaccinations need for a two week cruise to Southern and Eastern Carribean.

We have already had Polio booster but are unsure about Typhoid and Hepatitus A.

Please help as we have only 6 Weeks before setting off.

Many Thanks

Garry & Stacey

Posts: 47 | From: Ipswich, Suffolk, England | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 12-29-1999 01:14 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You really don't need shots for the Caribbean but if you are worried phone your Dr. or the Tropical Diseases dept. of your local hospital. They will tell you if you need them. I have been sailing to the Caribbean for many, years and have not had any of these shots.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 12-29-1999 02:32 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I had to get some shots to cruise the Caribbean, I wouldn't go. Call me chicken, but I hate needles. I cruised 6 times, no infectious diseases. Just bloated from over eating.
Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tasha
First Class Passenger
Member # 948

posted 12-29-1999 05:12 PM      Profile for Tasha   Author's Homepage   Email Tasha   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No need for any vaccinations for the Caribbean. Go enjoy yourself.
Posts: 18 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
WJCdiver
First Class Passenger
Member # 946

posted 12-31-1999 01:26 PM      Profile for WJCdiver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First of all talk to your doctor. Get and fill out an international vaccination card and keep it up to date.

You should probably get a tetanus booster if you haven't had one recently. You should do this anyway, even if you weren't taking a cruise.

Hepatitis A and B may also make sense, especially if you like to go off the beaten track at all.

You don't need these vaccinations to get on the ship - but if you travel a lot they are probably a good idea. Even if you don't travel you can get Hepatitis A and B, tetanus and lots of other preventable diseases in the US.

Posts: 159 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lisette
First Class Passenger
Member # 282

posted 01-02-2000 10:36 AM      Profile for Lisette   Email Lisette   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have found that my travel agent will let me know if any vacinations are needed so when you book your cruise ask your travel agent.
Posts: 32 | From: Mississauga | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 01-03-2000 01:10 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi...our Doc says if you want to catch something go on a flight, particularly a long-haul, and with all that lovely re-circulated air full of bugs, you're bound to get something. We just spent a month on a ship without a sniffle, then 15 hours in steerage and with a fellow hacking away behind us, sure enough in a couple of days my wife has got it too.
Some companies are now having their crews get flu shots, and so should ALL passengers - why should the rest of us have to be infected with the bugs that others bring because they're too lazy to get a shot.
In any case, it's a good idea to have up-to-date tetanus, typhoid, polio, Hep A & B, even when at home - it's getting a lot more common everywhere. And for us seniors, more die of pneumonia every year than of the flu, so thats a good one to get and they last 8-10 years.
Anyway.enough sermonizing, Happy New Year...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Debi
First Class Passenger
Member # 936

posted 01-04-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for Debi   Email Debi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

At this site, you can get the CDC current recommendations for travel to different parts of the world:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/travel.html

Posts: 52 | From: Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
corinne at travelpage
First Class Passenger
Member # 537

posted 01-07-2000 07:51 PM      Profile for corinne at travelpage   Email corinne at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have replied sooner, but have been too sick with the flu (which I got on the 4th day of our millennium cruise!).

If you haven't already, get the flu shot. They say it is not too late for this year. I was so miserable that I could not come out of my cabin for two days. I missed two dinners in the dining room and it would have been three, but I was determined to wear the new formal dress that I bought specifically for this cruise. I can report a good experience in the ship's infirmary though - both doctor and nurse were helpful and friendly. They knew our group well by the end of the cruise, having also treated my son for a "bonked" head five minutes after boarding, and med-evac'd one of our friends for surgery (he is doing well, but missed half of the cruise.)

Sorry to get off topic - as for the Hepatitis A immunization, I think this is probably a good idea, but it needs to be given at least 6 months in advance I think. I have not had the hepatitis A vaccine, but I also did not have the flu shot this year and am kicking myself for that!

I hope you have a happy and healthy cruise!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.