- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » When was your first Cruise? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: When was your first Cruise?
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-14-1999 11:52 AM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was 22 at the time and had just graduated college. It was on Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince to Bermuda, the last week of September in 1989. As memory has it, the weather the first day out was brutal. I could not leave my cabin because I could not remain vertical long enough to get any clothing on, and resultantly spent the entire day worshipping the porcelain god. One would think that that experience would prevent me from ever taking a cruise again, and in retrospect, I can recall saying to my mom, "Let's just get off at Bermuda and fly back - PLEASE!" But after applying The Patch, I was fine for the rest of the cruise.
Jeannie
Just Boarded
Member # 207

posted 08-14-1999 03:03 PM      Profile for Jeannie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was back in October 1983 on the Costa Carla C.--- 8 Single girls---all 1st time cruisers. Sailed from San Juan cruising the Southern Caribbean--couldn't stop in Grenada due to US invasion---boy, were our Parents scared by that news when it hit home!!! Well, that was 14 Cruises ago--time has sure flown by!!!!!
jal33406
First Class Passenger
Member # 603

posted 08-14-1999 05:43 PM      Profile for jal33406   Email jal33406   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first time was on NCL's SKYWARD in 1979 to the eastern Caribbean. Of course, we got hooked and immediately booked SOUTHWARD for the western Caribbean in 1980. Have been doing annual cruises ever since on a variety of lines, mostly to the Caribbean as the ships are so convenient to us here in Florida. Never sailed one I didn't like, tho Celebrity is our current favorite line.
Posts: 35 | From: West Palm Beach FL USA | Registered: Aug 99
jbrob
First Class Passenger
Member # 609

posted 08-15-1999 03:05 AM      Profile for jbrob   Email jbrob   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise was in 1988 on the Emerald Seas, a four night Bahamas cruise. We were in our late 40's, and took a 4 night to see if we would like cruising. That was 6 cruises ago, and we love it. I am now retired, and expect to take many more cruises in the future. By the way, I understand the old Emerald Seas is now doing World Cruises. Right, Joe?
Willy Paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 473

posted 08-15-1999 03:41 PM      Profile for Willy Paul     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise was on the Pacific Princess from San Diego to Acapulco and we were hooked. We never thought we could afford to go, but herre we are eighteen cruises later we are planing to go through the canal in January. EWe n have been all over the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Mediterranean, the Balstic and western Europe. We are hooked and can't wait to go on our next cruise. All this thanks to a friendly travel agent. she either gets the credit or thebale.
pvh
First Class Passenger
Member # 739

posted 08-15-1999 11:20 PM      Profile for pvh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First cruise--May 1999--Celebrity's Galaxy to Alaska (Inside Passage).
Second cruise--December 1999 (planned)--yes, Celebrity's Galaxy to Southern Caribbean.
New cruiser and hooked!

Elizabeth
First Class Passenger
Member # 142

posted 08-17-1999 04:23 AM      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise was on the QE2 in 1995. We became "hooked" and have cruised on the QE2 several times since. We are organising our next cruise on her for the new year.
Posts: 177 | From: New England Region N.S.W. Australia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 08-17-1999 11:29 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe at PwC, Your first cruise on the Nordic Prince was about 2 months after I had signed off and transfered to the Song of America. Nordic Prince was my first cruise ship job! I worked on the Nordic Prince in July of 1989 then moved over to the Song of America. Do you remember Graham - G'day G'day G'day the little Australian man? Or Paul Grason - he was my roomate.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-17-1999 12:40 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember Graham well. His performance with the rest of the cruise staff when they did a sendup of the Village People was hilarious.
sewoodbury
Just Boarded
Member # 768

posted 08-18-1999 12:47 PM      Profile for sewoodbury   Email sewoodbury   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise was on the Leonardo De Vince in 1975, 7 days from NY to SAN Juan, St Thomas. Leonardo is no more. we still have all the brochures, menues, ship map ect. Great Cruise in FEb. I was 25 then. went with aunt & uncle. Took 14 yrs till next cruise, but trying to go on at least 2 a year now.
Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 08-18-1999 01:36 PM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last summer I took the NCL LEEWARD on a three day to nowhere. It was great. Here is a little history for you- It departed from Alexandria,VA (Washington DC). As far as I know she was the Largest ship to ever come up the Potomac River. It was amazing. The Army Core of Engineers had to dredge the river at the dock to allow her shallow draft of 18 feet. We left the dock and the ship just barely would skid past the Woodrow Wilson Draw Bridge. Amazing to be on a 25,000 ton ship going out the Potomac, the Chesapeake Bay, to the Atlantic, down the Virgina coast and back. We had a deluxe outside cabin in on Deck 7 all the way port. I know it sounds a little strange, but I loved the vibrations from the engine and propulsion. It was very soothing, gentle and relaxing. I am a travel agent who does mostly corporate and leisure travel, Cruises are a very small part of our business.... But I love it, I tell everyone possible how much of a great vacation it is. I don't get away from the office often, and I need to see many other places on this big planet, I would prefer doing it by cruising. Yea, I know the LEEWARD isn't a grand old liner. But she did get me hooked. Can't wait 'til my next one. I am doing another posting on here --please respond--, I want to know what was your FAVORITE ship, and what ship you havent cruised on and WANT to. Look for that other message and respond. thanks.

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99
Steve Read (sread)
First Class Passenger
Member # 788

posted 08-19-1999 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Read (sread)   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Read (sread)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Feb 1971 on a school cruise aboard SS Uganda.
Also went on SS Canberra in 1985.
Whatever happened to either of these ships?

Posts: 926 | From: Locksbottom, Kent, England | Registered: Jul 99
Bob
First Class Passenger
Member # 41

posted 08-22-1999 03:07 PM      Profile for Bob   Email Bob   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
October 92. Song of America down the Mexican coast and was hooked. Even though the showers on the Song (Now Sunbird) were never considered for someone my size, (3XLT) and are the source for all the jokes in routines used by comedians for many years. Haven't looked back since and even RCI has bigger bathrooms now.
John A
Just Boarded
Member # 228

posted 08-23-1999 02:50 PM      Profile for John A   Email John A   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise was in 1986 on Holland America's Rotterdam doing a 10 day cruise to the southern Caribbean. I will never forget the stop in the Ocean Bar every afternoon to see what hot or interesting tid bits that you were invited to taste. This ship will always have a place in my heart. At the end of the trip I wanted to stay on and go around again. There was an eldery woman on the ship that had been on it for 10 consecutive trips, or 100 days. We didn't see her much but I am sure it had to be cheaper than a nursing home.
Posts: 2 | From: E, Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Aug 99
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-24-1999 02:05 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TO JOHN A - I think I know the elderly lady you are talking about. She is very wealthy and spends 6 months of the year on the Rottrdam. Has done this for years. We will probably see her next June when we are on the ship. Very nice lady. We also loved the old Rotterdam as you can see by my previous post.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
CANOSA
Just Boarded
Member # 57

posted 08-24-1999 05:49 PM      Profile for CANOSA     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was on Epirotiki's TSS ATLAS, former RYNDAM of Holland America Line. It was January 1982, I was 18 years old and I went on this cruise with my parents, 14 days through Brazilian coast.

Since then, I've just cruised 5 times and my favourite was on Holland America WESTERDAM, a repositioning cruise from Acapulco to Seatle. Very confortable ship with superb service.

Can wait to cruise again, next time on a classic Russian liner maybe..

MONTY
Just Boarded
Member # 296

posted 08-25-1999 02:28 AM      Profile for MONTY   Email MONTY   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still remember my first cruise as if it were yesterday. Certainly, it was more than just a cruise, back in May of 1968; it was a farewell to my place of birth: Hong Kong.

I was a young man of 20 years looking forward to my new adventure. The SS President Cleveland of the United States President lines was a proper cargo-passenger liner in those days. All ships would leave at midnight from the Hong Kong Ocean terminal, paper ribbons flying from the ship to the dock and music playing as the ship slowly pulled away from a crowd of friends and relatives. It was quite an event. The next 21 days were the best a man could get, and it was certainly the best gift my parents have ever given me ( $495.00 US included port charges and taxes!).

Nowadays, of course, airplanes have replaced most passenger ships and the stereotypical cruise ship is strictly taken for plesure by vacationers everywhere. I've had my share of cruises--the past 31 years have included cruises to the Caribbean on several different liners. This Autumn of '99, my wife and I are celebrating our 25th year wedding anniversary by taking the Mercury of Celebrity cruises, a 20-day cruise from San Francisco through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale. I am certainly looking forward to taking the Mercury as much as I had the SS President Cleveland.

Posts: 7 | From: Cleveland, Ohio, USA | Registered: Aug 99
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-07-2001 02:39 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1959 on the Greek Line Arcadia while inside my mother's womb. I was not concious of anything.

1969 at age 9, on the TSS Olympia-now Regal Empress

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-07-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first post on this topic told of my first Atlantic Crossing -

My first Cruise was October 1977 - HAL - the old Statendam - New York to Bermuda......it was a rough one.

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
starfish
First Class Passenger
Member # 986

posted 05-07-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for starfish   Author's Homepage   Email starfish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was our honeymoon,in Aug.87 with Home Lines on the Atlantic to Bermuda. I was 32. Anyone out there from the 8/9/87 sailing?
Posts: 225 | From: Dallas,PA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 05-07-2001 11:00 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was back in the summer of 1980 on a three day trip to nowhere on the Caribe out of Alexandria VA. I was only 8 years old, and my mother took my brother and myself, as the love affair with ships had started young. I am excited to be doing my latest cruise later this month on the Millennium from Istanbul to Barcelona. Again my parents and siblings will be travelling as well.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
nevadaflip
First Class Passenger
Member # 1682

posted 05-07-2001 11:45 PM      Profile for nevadaflip        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was a short one on the SS CATALINA from San Pedro, CA to Catalina Island (Avalon). This was in 1946 and I was 9 years old! I remember exploring the ship all by myself and sitting on the railing next to the life boats, which were on a lower deck very close to the water. I was thrilled to see a shark come right up to the side of the ship, but my older brother wouldn't even believe me (which is pretty typical of older brothers, I guess, particularly when you are only 9.) It was a wonderful trip on a real steamship and I have never forgotten it. (The CATALINA presently sits half submerged in the mud just inside Ensenada harbor and there are efforts to return her to Los Angeles and restore her.)

My next two cruises were in the 1950's and were courtesy of the U.S. Department of Defense, to and from Japan on troopships!

I decided that sailing on ships and not paying for it was a good deal, so signed on in 1961 with American President Lines as a Purser and sailed with them and others for the next 20 years.

Jerry

Posts: 280 | From: Minden, NV, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
billybob
First Class Passenger
Member # 1902

posted 05-08-2001 08:20 AM      Profile for billybob     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was September 25 1994 aboard the Carnival Sensation. My wife (this was her 3rd cruise I believe) and I were also married aboard this ship in port in Miami.

We sailed for 2 weeks on back to back cruises...eastern carribbean 1 week, western carribbean the 2nd. Same ship, same room, same everything. It was kind of fascinating to pull back into port at the end of the first week and watch everyone you first met leave and a whole new group come on board...and the two weeks were as different as night and day.

I was 35 and my wife was 45 at the time..we had an absolute blast!!! We can't wait to sail again and as a matter of fact, we're sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii this Set 26 - Oct 8 for our 7th anniversary aboard the Carnival Spirit.

Aloha!

Posts: 52 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 05-08-2001 09:14 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First cruise was on the Song of Norway. It was August, 1977. It was a seven day cruise my wife had to drag me from work for a vacation let alone a "cruise". We went to(St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Puerta Plata (I think). Reguardless the minuete we set foot on board I was hooked. K&K
Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 05-08-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise was in 1987 aboard Premier's Oceanic. We only took a 3-day trip to the Bahamas as we weren't sure if we'd like it or not. Our cabin was tiny, the ocean was rough and you know what, I LOVED IT.
Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.