- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruising 1.0   » Best time to go to Alaska? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best time to go to Alaska?
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 07-25-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm back and no, I didn't fall off the face of the earth! I have had so many things going on recently, that I have barely had time to even read the newsletter Joe sends.......

Anyways, my 2 sisters-in-law have decided that they want to go on an Alaskan cruise next year. We have been trying to talk them into going on a cruise with us, and are starting to hash out the details.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best month to go would be? I am under the impression that either June, July, or August would be the best temperature-wise, but which month is the best overall? Is there a time when insects are/are not a problem? Is there a time when the water is calmest (one of my sisters-in-law gets seasick easily and that is a concern of hers)?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

[ 07-26-2005: Message edited by: RuthPerk ]

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-25-2005 11:48 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Ruth, I went in May and was very lucky. The water was calm, the temperatures were mild to pretty warm, with no coats or sweaters required at times on land. There was no problem with insects. It NEVER rained the entire cruise, which is very unusual, especially for Juneau which has an annual rainfall is over 9 feet per year!

Personally I’d be happy to go anytime, but a later month is probably considered better?

[ 07-25-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-25-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best weather seems to be in the Summer months between June through August. I have been in June and the weather was beautiful. We also did a late season cruise (I forgot the month but it was the last Princess sailing of the Alaska cruise season) and it was getting cold and wet. The winds were quite strong in Juneau and our ship needed tugs to be pulled from the dock. Always take an umbrella to Alaska as you never know when it will rain. If you depart from Vancouver, I would add at least 1-2 extra days there as it is a beautiful city to explore.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 07-25-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just got back from alaska the 15th and the weather was beaitifuil with a misting rain off and on in Juneau. Temps were like high 66 and low 55 everywhere. The wind was very calm and the seas were pretty my flat it was like being on a giant lake.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll throw my .02 cents in here if it helps...

I have cruised Alaska 5 times, twice in late-May, three times in very late August and Very early September, and on vessels small to large ranging from around 15,000 to 90,000 tons. For a first-timers trip to Alaska I would highly recommend something on the larger side to make it more comfortable.

Both of my trips in May found late Winter snow storms that left the glacers and surrounding mountains covered with a blanket of snow down to the waterline leaving any mountain/glacier detail to your imagination. Wildlife was near non-existant as it was still too early in the season. On one trip in mid-late May we saw NO wildlife at all. None. In the glacier areas of College Fjord and Glacier Bay it was brutally cold and the melting glaciers calved off so many growlers (baby icebergs) that we could not go in to these areas but so far, then turn around. On one trip it rained almost the entire 7 days. Low cloud cover and a constant rain made it really feel like 'Alaska', but you dont go to Alaska for the weather then, do you? :-)

The trips in late Aug. Very early Sept. Were pleasantly mild, the glacier areas totally accessable (but still quite cold), and wildlife was considerably more than abundant. Short pants were in order while walking around Juneau/Ketchikan. It did rain once in Ketchikan to the extent of a torrential downpour that lasted all day. Always take a rain parka and umbrella.

The waters of the Inside Passage stayed remarkably calm on all five voyages. There is a bit of 'open ocean' north of Vancouver Island, and between Glacier Bay and College Fjord that can offer a bit of a ride sometimes, but all in all I have never experienced rough seas there.

Alaksa is quite unpredictable, and the weather can change at the drop of a hat. May can be as nice as September, depending on the preceeding Winter months that Alaska has endured. A mild Winter = better weather early in the season that will last until late-September.

The panhandle of Alaska seems to have little problems with mosquitos, the interior of Alaska between Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks is were the mosquitos tend to floursih.

Alaska offers a wide variety of Shore Excursions, some expensive, but the single BEST way to bring back fond memories of this great and magnificent wonderland. For a slow paced experience that will not be difficult I can easily recommend:

Skagway:
Liarsville Salmon Bake (Hot Cider and the BIGGEST Husky you have ever seen that LOVES to get petted)
White Pass and Yukon Railroad (scenic, afternoon tour is best, slow and relaxing)

Juneau:
Mendenhall Glacier and City Tour
Mt Roberts Tramway (for scenic views of surrounding area)

Ketchikan:
Saxman Indian Village and Totem Tour
Creek street (Self-tour) and best place to see Salmon swimming up stream

And if you LOVE photography like I do, take a BUNCH of film. I always came back with 40-50 rolls of film!

Even though I have been 5 times already, I love Alaska and plan to go back again!

[ 07-25-2005: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
If you depart from Vancouver, I would add at least 1-2 extra days there as it is a beautiful city to explore.

Totally agree. A pre-cruise package to see Seattle and Vancouver is a good way to slip into a nice Alaska cruise. On one of my last cruises I flew into Seattle, took a hotel downtown and did the tourist thing for a day or so, then took the Amtrak 'Cascades' to Vancouver and the Pan Pacific ocverlooking the Vancouver harbour. Stayed there for 2 days, then boarded the Volendam.

P.S. Alaska has basically 2 types of cruises: Seattle or Vancouver ROUNDTRIP, and a ONE-WAY trip (either 'Northbound' from Vancouver OR 'Southbound' from Seward). Roundtrips offer more convenience as you fly in/out of the same geograhic area, but backtrack a little bit on the ocean voyage to do this. The ONE-WAY trips offer the most scenery plus College Fjord. However you fly in/out of completely different geographic areas and the flight to/from Anchorage is a long one. for a first timer, try the ROUNDTRIP that cruises through Glacier Bay and the port cities of Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. This will give you a GREAT overall picture of an Alaskan Cruise, then the next time do a NB or SB.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-25-2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
For a first-timers trip to Alaska I would highly recommend something on the larger side to make it more comfortable.

As big ships go, RCI's 'Radience of the Seas' is a wonderful ship and has surprisingly tasteful decor. She will be operating in Alaska in 05 and 06.

Of course there are plenty of other lines and ships to choose from, to.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

As big ships go, RCI's 'Radience of the Seas' is a wonderful ship and has surprisingly tasteful decor. She will be operating in Alaska in 05 and 06.

Of course there are plenty of other lines and ships to choose from, to.

Of all the cruise lines I have been on to Alaska (HAL, Princess x 2, Cruise west, Celebrity) I have not done RCI, but think very highly of their Radiance-Class ships. I was in Juneau waiting for my ship to come in (I did a southbound Juneau-Victoria on Cruise West) when the Radiance ulled in. She looked quite beautiful.

If you can get one of their itineraries that cruises into Misty Fjords that would be quite a treat.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
--------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
... then the next time do a NB or SB.
--------------------------------------------

quote:

I could not do that! I have a 'rule'.

I can't repeat a cruise destination, until I have cruised everywhere else first.

Oh now, its hard to believe that you have never taken a cruise that was so incredibally enjoyable that you'd do it over and over again? :-)

Thats kind of sort of what I did, but Alaska stole my heart :-) And I loved the photograhic qualities of Alaska, and believe it or not, each of the 5 trips was completely different from each other.
Plus I got to do dozens of different shore excursions over these 5 trips. That was loads of FUN! Call me crazy but after 5 trips I took over 225 rolls of film. I looooove Alaska.

The NB offered a chance to do the interior of Alaksa post-cruise, the SB actually hit a port I had not been to before (Sitka), two were last minnute 'toward the end-of season' deals for $399 including port taxes (hard to turn down), the Cruise West was the Inaugural voyage of the Spirit of Oceanus to many ports I had never been to (Prince Rupert, Metlakatla, and Petersburg) and I got a TA deal on this all luxury suite ship for less than 1000$ incl air).

And I am actually planning another next year. It will be my first cruise in years!

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
P.S. I actually repeated the Salmon Bake shore excursion on every trip, 3 times at the same one in Skagway, and twice in Juneau (at different locals). It was that good.

The hardest shore excursion I did: glacier hiking totally outfitted in all the gear and then repelling down the edge of a glacier wall.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow we are supposed to have a high temp of 102 degrees. I'd rather be in Alaska... again. :-)

Malcolm, I'll be the first to admit I have probably seen a lot less than you have. I have this nasty habit of repeating the most enjoyable vacations often. When I lived in Italy I often took rail trips to the same dozen places in Europe every other month. I have done the same routes on Amtrak cross-country MANY times, but it is a pleasant way to relax. Plus I enjoy the familiarity of it all. Come to think of it thats probably why I do repeat vacations.

Plus, the first couple of times to get all the pictures out of the way, the last few times to just enjoy 'sans camera' and totally, truly, and blissfully reeeelaaaaaaax. :-)

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-25-2005 05:38 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, back to Ruth...Sorry.

with the competitionn for Alaska pretty stiff these days, there will be dozens upon dozens of ships to choose from. As convenient as they are, the Seattle r/t departures kill quite a bit of time just transitting the San Juan Islands, and as nice and scenic as that is, it adds 250 miles of non-Alaska sailing to your limited week. Take the Vancouver r/t cruise but if possible fly into Seattle to avoid in/outbound Customs at the YVR airport. For added convenience add the cruise lines airfare, transfers, and pre-cruise hotel packages. Seattle and Vancouver are worth it. If you are time constricted add a 1/2 day tour of Vancouver post-cruise and a later flight out of Seattle.

From Vancouver you will have many options, but I think RCI's Radiance-class will be great for first timers. Review your options and pick a ship, its itinerary, and its amenities that suite you and your friends best. Price, although most will be about the same, should be a secondary consideration. I have had folks pick because of price but regretted it later because they did not research the ship or its voyage.

Most importantly pay close attention to the AMOUNT of time spent in each port. Some of the ships pull into port after 1-2pm, a bit too late for my taste. Juneau has loads of shore excursions, quirky pubs, and tons of the best shopping to offer, so try and pick a ship that spends at least 10-12 hours there. For time considerations, same goes for Skagway. Ketchikan is what they call a 'drive through port' where the ship does not have to back track down an inlet to get back out. Plus Ketchikan can easily be done in a matter of hours. Cute but not a lot to offer. Some RCI ships hit Ketchikan 1/2 day then proceed to Misty Fjords so its a 2-for-1 kind of day.

Also if the ship goes through Victoria, BC make sure it gives you ample time to not only visit Butchart Gardens (stunning and incredible!) but also shop and have tea downtown. Arrivals after 5pm will not be good for this (as most SEA deaprtures do).

Pack your clothes so that you can dress in layers. Scarfs, hats, gloves, etc. come in very handy.

The largest concentration of wildlife I have ever encountered in Alaska was south of the entrance to Glacier Bay and inide Glacier Bay itself. We literally saw dozens and dozens and dozens of humpback whales, Orca, and otters, with a single sighting of brown bears over the period of several hours. This would be a GREAT day to get up early and have your camera ready!

RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 07-26-2005 08:25 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry RuthPark, I've hijacked this thread. Anymore Alaskan opinions for Ruth, please?

Oh, I suppose I can forgive you, since all of this has been very informative and gives me ideas for future criuses! Hmmm, Norwegian Fjord's.........

Dmwnc1 - thank you for all of your input! It sounds like I will need to buy a bigger memory card for my camera! I am also guilty of taking tons of pictures on all of my vacations!

Lasuvidaboy - I never thought of needing an umbrella!
Do you have any suggestions as to what we definitely need to see if we sail from Vancouver?

Jonathan - sounds wonderful! It's supposed to be 95 here today. I could really go for a high of 66 right now!

I will pass this info on to my SILs. Is there anything else we should know?

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-26-2005 10:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthPerk:
...and gives me ideas for future criuses! Hmmm, Norwegian Fjord's...

Ruth, the problem with Alaska is that passengers may be expecting to see a wilderness, but each morning at all of the major ports, six cruise ships arrive, which equals 10,000 people or more! For example Skagway was like Times Square when I was there.

Although the buildings look quaint, most contain T-Shirt shops, with logo’s which say ‘My friend has been to Alaska, but all they brought me back was the crummy T-shirt’.

You need to take the excursions to get a real glimpse of Alaska’s remoteness and vastness.

In contrast, most of the Norwegian ports of call are still undeveloped and unspoilt (no T-shirt shops) and only accommodate a few ships at most.

If you want to see fascinating city after fascinating city, try the 'Baltic States' itineraries. As well as British cruise lines, most of the American ones offer Fjord and Baltic cruises.

It's a big world!

[ 07-26-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 07-26-2005 10:36 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm - I have been to Alaska twice and have another booked for next May. Never have I seen 6 cruise ships in any of the ports. Three have been the most I have seen.

I have been there mid June and end of August. Saw a lot more ice flows mid June '88 than in August '02 - most had melted by that time.

Yes, Ruth, you will definitely need an umbrella.

Poured rain in Ketchikan and Juneau on my last trip, but then that's nothing new. Skagway we were in shorts in the afternoon. You have to layer your clothes because you can start the day in 40-50 degree weather and by the afternoon it's in the high 70's.

If you go to Skagway, the White Pass Rail is a must. Incredible scenery. Other excursions are a whale watching tour and the Salmon bake in conjunction with the Mendenhall Glacier.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 07-26-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ruth,

We've been to Alaska a number of times and I would recommend going in late June or July. The crowds aren't as big and the weather is usually good. It's been warm enough for shorts on most days during our trips.

I also recommend taking the Southbound trip from Seward, Alaska to Vancouver, BC because
1) the trip home is shorter, and
2) as you move South, the 24-hours of daylight gradually gives way to longer periods of darkness (which makes it easier to sleep).

If you are going all the way to Alaska you should also consider spending a few days up there prior to the cruise. You can rent a car and drive north towards Denali National Park and see all sorts of interesting things. Alaska reminds me of Key West in that it attracts a lot of - how should I put this -"extreme values".

We have always had a great time on HAL - the size of their ships seem to be a good fit with the area. Feel free to email if you have more specific questions.

Joe at TravalPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 07-26-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all live frome m.s. Zaandam berthed inn Skagway. On this moment the temp is around 14 celcius and rain but the surroundings is great. in port there asre 3 giants the Radiance of the Seas, Diamond Princess and island Princess. We have now fore the second day in a row rain but the temp is oke.

Alaska is great and it don't matter to me that it is raining. It controbute to the surroundings and great mystic view over here.

Greatings Ben.

p.s. the Explorations cafe is great fore relax reeding a book listen to some muziiek and to go on internet. And the coffee is great very very good.

Greetings frome the m.s. Zaandam a real ship amongs those monsters today.

Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-26-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The most ships I have seen in Juneau at one time was 5, three at dock, 2 anchored out.

And dont forget to hit your newstands September 13, 2005 for the next edition of CRUISE TRAVEL magazine with its '2006 Alaska Roundup' article!

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-26-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not wish to sound too negative about Alaska, as it is well worth a visit. I was just taken aback how commercialised the main ports were, even though they look authentic.

However the scenery and glaciers are just as they have always been.

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 07-26-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skagway is not a big place. In fact, it is a small place. Maasdam's report of three big and one medium ships there at one time boggles the mind!

I don't know how that translates into passengers but I assume it is substantial. Debarkees must have been stepping all over each other! I would be tempted to bail out and board the White Pass and Yukon and head inland immediately, if it was possible.

The Chinese souvenir totem-pole carving industy must be working overtime.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 07-26-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've cruised to Alaska 4 times, and live in Vancouver, so our biases show:

There is no bad time to go to Alaska - the weather will either be perfect or variable, and it does not matter for scenery or wildlife. Layer up or down!

Some of the ports are so small that one or two ships make them feel crowded. Don't worry - because if you hang around town you are missing all the good stuff. Take a good excursion and get out of town for most of the day - and Alaska will work its magic quickly enough.

There's a good way to figure out what excursions are best - ignore everybody else thinks and do what inspires you; if you have a group, it's even better if you all choose to do different things - it makes for wonderful story-sharing back at sea. Forget penny-pinching this time - everyone should do a helicopter landing on a glacier once if they wish.

Just go! Don't try to see everything - you'll be back.

...and give Vancouver a few days before or after!

Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sealeg claude
First Class Passenger
Member # 5565

posted 07-26-2005 11:54 PM      Profile for sealeg claude   Email sealeg claude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi, Cambodge,

Skagway will see up to 5 ships on a top day.
It might be small, but it can handle it.
Obviously, the train gobbles up a whole lot
of the debarking guests while the majority of what's
left goes on other excursions ( glacier flights, for
exemple). The little town itself is indeed 2 main streets with 80 % souvenir shops, a few pubs and
restaurants. When the train comes back ( there are up to 5 sets running in convoy),these passengers go for a bit of shopping then back on ship. Each train makes 3 round trips.
You're right,if there was nothing to disperse 9000++
passengers, Skagway could not handle that
Cheers
CG

Posts: 173 | From: vancouver, b.c. Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 07-27-2005 12:02 AM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me the difference of the carriages between the Denali Express(Tour Trains) on cruise tours and Denali Star Train?
Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-27-2005 05:14 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim Agg:
Some of the ports are so small that one or two ships make them feel crowded...Take a good excursion...and Alaska will work its magic quickly enough.

Very well put!

Here is my photo of Mercury and Galaxy at Skagway.

That's a maximum of 5262 passengers. However cruise ships have got bigger since I took this image!

[ 07-27-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-27-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
Skagway is not a big place. In fact, it is a small place. Maasdam's report of three big and one medium ships there at one time boggles the mind!

I don't know how that translates into passengers but I assume it is substantial. Debarkees must have been stepping all over each other! I would be tempted to bail out and board the White Pass and Yukon and head inland immediately, if it was possible.

The Chinese souvenir totem-pole carving industy must be working overtime.

In Skagway I left ship as soon as the gangway was dropped. Having been there before I knew a great liitle restaurant that had a wonderful panckake breakfast (up the main street on the left). I could eat in peace and quite and enjoy Sskagway for a little time with very little tourists around. Did some shopping and headed back to the ship for my late morning and afternoon shore tours to the Haines Bald Eagle Preserve by jetboat and Horseback riding. I found this the best way to escape 9000+ passengers. I always recommend doing the latest morning or early afternoon tours to allow time for an early visit to town, a bite for lunch, and by then any morning clouds would burn off and have a better chance of clear scenery.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.