- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...TUI Cruises has taken delivery of Mein Schiff 7 from shipbuilders Meyer Turku in Finland. The seventh ship in the Mein Schiff fleet was handed over at an official signing ceremony attended by Meyer Turku’s CEO Tim Meyer and head of projects Tom Degerman, and TUI Cruises’ CEO Wybcke Meier and chief financial officer Frank Kuhlmann. “Mein Schiff 7’s...

Latest News...Holland America Line, an industry leader in destination-centric longer voyages, has updated this fall’s Legendary Voyage, “Tales of the South Pacific”, to now include a call to Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Zaandam will become one of an exclusive group of ships to call at the island, providing guests an exciting addition to an already idyllic vacation. ...

Latest News... Lindblad Expeditions Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: LIND; the "Company" or "Lindblad Expeditions"), recognized global leader of adventure travel and the pioneer of modern expedition cruising, today announced that it has added two purpose-built Galápagos expedition vessels to join the Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic fleet. "We recognize and appreciate the immense privilege our Company has to operate...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Norwegian Crown aground (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Norwegian Crown aground
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-08-2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remeber that a ship is moving on the surface of a liquid - even without friction engergy is carried away by the waves generated by the ship.
Generally, this contribution to the resistance gets more important for faster ships.

A bulbousbow should reduce the bow wave and thus reduce the resistance - compared to a ship with the same length at the waterline.

Also, the velocoity distribution on the hull near the bow is changed such that the resistance is reduced. (even at lower speeds where the wave contribution is not yet dominant)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 06-08-2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Why do the have a Bulbous Bow instead of just a knife edge bow. Is it Hydro Dynamics or something??
I'm not an expert on this, but I do recall reading something that says that the idea was to reduce the bow wave. The bulbous bow is intended to displace about the same volume of water that would otherwise be thrown up in the bow wave. But it's obviously more energy-efficient to push that water aside horizontally underwater than (in effect) to throw it up into the air. And it does seem to this untrained eye that modern ships generate a pretty small bow wave, even when travelling at speed.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-08-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As said, one tries to cancel out the bow wave.

There are other 'side effects' too - like reducing the friction resistance and also improving the seakeeping abilities.

(One could discuss whether a reduction of resistance could also be achieved by building a longer ship - usually the bulbous bow is (for several reasons) the better solution)

[ 06-08-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-08-2006 12:43 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seeing those pics of her w/her bow high out of the water made me think that she will most likely be in a similar position in 20-30 years when she meets her final demise on a scrappers beach.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-08-2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bulbous bows have been on ships in various forms and sizes since the BREMEN of 1929. I've heard it explained, in the simplest of layman's terms, that the bulb "opens a hole in the water for the ship to pass through."

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-08-2006 02:42 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In regards to bulbous bows, I have read that Mauretania of 1907 wasted incredible amounts of fuel due to her inefficient knife-like bow. The later QM also burned more fuel and needed additional horsepower to match the speed of Normandie which featured a bulbous bow and sleeker hull form. QM at speed had an incredible bow wave (up to the anchor pockets at times) while the more efficient Normandie's was minimal.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-08-2006 02:47 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bulbous bows were used well before the Bremen - they were actually inspired by the ram bows of ancient warships.
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-08-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Bulbous bows were used well before the Bremen - they were actually inspired by the ram bows of ancient warships.

I recall some naval ships had this feature in the early 20th century.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-08-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to look this up - I guess it was in the mid 19th century.(1860ies)

Theories were provided later on. (if I remeber right, extensive investigations have been done in Japan in the 1960ies - there are more or less two types of bublous bows - especially early bulbous bows were not always built in the 'correct' way)

As said, the main effect is to shape the bow wave (in simple words) - but there are many 'details' which also play a role - not only the mentioned lower friction resistance - also the trim of the ship is more favourable. (etc.)

[ 06-08-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Joe99
First Class Passenger
Member # 3931

posted 06-08-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Joe99     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW! Awsome pics. Looks like the water shallow enough to see the rocks from a long way off.
Posts: 51 | From: midwest | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 06-08-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Here an example of such warship rambow.
The Royal Netherlands Marine Ram batleship De Buffel of 1868. Shows here elegant rambow.

Greetings Ben.

[ 06-08-2006: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 06-08-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't the U-boats have a ram on their decks? A saw tooth type device. The Romans and others of that era had rams. Remember the movie Ben Hur, the naval battle.
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 06-08-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Jonno, its called a bulb/bulbousbow, not *thats things that sticks out*......you probably got bulbous bow upset with that comment there...LOL......and yes as some people noted, there seems to be some damage to the bulb......
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 06-08-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's my namesake. ...and you should mind your language young Jonno.

Sorry bulbousbow, i had no idea that was the name, but thank you for pointing that out and i hope i didnt offend you. Guess i should change my display name to Jonno.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
steeplechase
First Class Passenger
Member # 4056

posted 06-08-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for steeplechase   Author's Homepage   Email steeplechase   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How embarrising is this for the Captain his ship stuck on a reef? And next to the tender is that not a bilge pump running off it water?
Posts: 663 | From: elkton maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-08-2006 09:25 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, I just arrived home and could now access my books. I only have the Principles of Naval Architecture and the (rather simple) Introduction to Naval Architecture at hand - which is where I got this information from:

D.W. Taylor was the first one aware of 'the second bow wave that would neutralize the first' explaining the superior performance of the HMS Leviathan - which featured a ram bow. He made experiments in the Washington towing tank resulting in the USS Delaware being the first ship equipped with a speciffically built bulbous bow in 1907. (so it wasn't the mid 19th century as I initally tought - sorry, I don't know everything by heart)

In 1928 Havelock calculated the wave pattern around a sphere - the most important feature being the wave trough behind the sphere (...maybe this is where 'the hole' posted above is coming from) which suggested that positioning a sphere in front of the bow might cancel out the bow wave.

1935/36 Wigley did calculations on the resistance of ships with bulbous bow and came up with suggestions on the shape, position and applicability of such bow shapes. (experiments on that were done by Taylor, Bragg, and Lindblad)

In the 1960ies T. Inui did experiments at the University of Tokyo and came up with some theories resulting in a very efficient bulbous bow shape. (Comparative tests were done with the Murakasi Maru and the Kurenai Maru)

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-08-2006 09:49 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the late 1980s there was talk at Cunard of modifying QE2's bulbous bow and installing a new more efficent version. After reviewing data, it was determined that her original mid 1960s designed original was as good as a possible 'modern' replacement.
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-08-2006 10:39 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jonathan wrote:
Sorry bulbousbow, i had no idea that was the name, but thank you for pointing that out and i hope i didnt offend you. Guess i should change my display name to Jonno.

No worries mate. I only did it for laughs. Have a good one.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 06-10-2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Frosty4: It is my understanding that the saw-tooth cutter on U-boats was to sever cables which were used to protect harbors, and possibly to cut anchor cables. They were not used later in the war which, I asume, indicated that they were not essential to missions. I do not believe they had anything to do with speed enhancements.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.