- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Enchantment lengthening (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Enchantment lengthening
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 05-29-2005 02:50 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More photos of the lengthening process courtesy of Bart de Boer's ShipParade:

http://www.shipparade.com/sotw/sotw1.htm

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-29-2005 09:18 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
Gday all
Hope this dosent sound like a stuipd question:
When a ship is lengthen and more cabins/suites are added , do they have to renumber all the cabins again to keep them in running order?
Regards Linerdan.

i dont think it's a stupid question Linerdan but one i find rather interesting, they will probably keep the cabin numbers in the foward section then start renumbering from the midsection towards the aft....or it could be the other way around.....i'm not sure what they will do though....but just a thought
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-29-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
Gday all
Hope this dosent sound like a stuipd question:
When a ship is lengthen and more cabins/suites are added , do they have to renumber all the cabins again to keep them in running order?
Regards Linerdan.

This is not a stupid question - altough I would not agree with "there are no stupid questions". I think they will renumber the cabins. On vessels which have been lengthened it has been done, and I guess finally RCCl won`t point out to their passengers: "...and this is where the whole ship has been cut in two parts..." as most people are not fascinated by the fact that a ship can be stretched.
Finally the whole "signage" has to be changed. There are companies spezilaized in providing the signs (better: the whole "sign system") for cruise ships.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-29-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ernst wrote:
"...and this is where the whole ship has been cut in two parts..." as most people are not fascinated by the fact that a ship can be stretched.

Most people have no idea the ship they’re cruising on was built in sections (and welded together) or that ships can be lengthened, but if you actually told them it was cut in two and a piece was added, they’d probably get scared.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-29-2005 11:48 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
cruiseshipluver wrote:
...they will probably keep the cabin numbers in the foward section then start renumbering from the midsection towards the aft....or it could be the other way around.....i'm not sure what they will do though....but just a thought

They would follow-on from where the new section comes in like you said cruiseshipluver. You would think numbers go from forward to aft, that’s logical isn’t it?

Cheers

[ 05-29-2005: Message edited by: bulbousbow ]

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-30-2005 12:01 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The pictures Bart uploaded are quiet good! I am disappointed the fact that the new "suspension" bridge has a different window color than the rest of the ship

Anyhow, she is looking nice!

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-30-2005 12:18 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keitaro:
The pictures Bart uploaded are quiet good! I am disappointed the fact that the new "suspension" bridge has a different window color than the rest of the ship

Anyhow, she is looking nice!

I thought the same thing. RCI is known for it's "green glass". I wonder why the "bridge" is not the same?

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-30-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

I thought the same thing. RCI is known for it's "green glass". I wonder why the "bridge" is not the same?

Ernie

Ernie, I've only managed to come up with one explanation....

Maybe RCI want their passengers to know that there is an added midsection "and here is where the ship was cut into two parts..."

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
HALover
First Class Passenger
Member # 4096

posted 05-30-2005 05:12 AM      Profile for HALover     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Ernie

Maybe it's a protection foil who will be removed when all the work is finished?

Posts: 35 | From: the Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Wave
First Class Passenger
Member # 3813

posted 05-30-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Dave the Wave   Email Dave the Wave   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In response to cabin numbering, I was on the ship in May '04 and am booked for November '05. My old cabin 8533 has been renumbered to 8591. I am booked in 8093 which is the first cabin portside, inside forward of the centrum. It used to be 8035. There are also some new "family" inside cabins forward on this deck. You can see this if you can compare the old deck plans to the new.
Posts: 211 | From: St.Pete, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-30-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HALover:

Maybe it's a protection foil who will be removed when all the work is finished?

well i dont think so, i think that is the actual colour of the glass on the midsection......but i would rekon that they'd tint it sum more so that it can match back with the rest of the Glass on the ship.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-30-2005 01:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseshipluver:

well i dont think so, i think that is the actual colour of the glass on the midsection......but i would rekon that they'd tint it sum more so that it can match back with the rest of the Glass on the ship.
cruiseshipluver

I think it's too late to tint the glass. I believe the "green glass" that RCI uses is a process that happens during the making of the glass, not a "tint" that can be added later.

It is possible the glass does have a white protective
film over it now that will eventually be pulled off (as mentioned earlier), if not, then I suspect that RCI wanted the glass a different color for whatever reason.

Ernie

RCI 20
First Class Passenger
Member # 5609

posted 05-30-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for RCI 20   Email RCI 20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glass is covered with plastic or paper.....
RCI20

Posts: 37 | From: Miami/Oslo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
kph06
First Class Passenger
Member # 3506

posted 05-30-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for kph06   Email kph06   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I would say it's a glass covering becasue in the picture, if you look above the new glass you can see a yellow crane and if you follow the boom down you can't see it when it's behind the glass which makes me think there's an opaque covering.

Kevin

Posts: 150 | From: Halifax, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-30-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey, i think that u are right kevin.......that does say that there is a covering cuz if it was plain glass u would see the yellow crane through it....thats good spotting Kevin.
cruiseshipluver

Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 05-30-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If there is no covering on the glass then maybe they will tent the class that green cover. Cause when we were on some RCCL ships the green was waxy feel and peeling on one of the pool side windows i think it is an aftermarket tint. Cause on the Explorer of the seas the balconies and stuff dont have the green.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-30-2005 10:56 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruisintoday14:
If there is no covering on the glass then maybe they will tent the class that green cover. Cause when we were on some RCCL ships the green was waxy feel and peeling on one of the pool side windows i think it is an aftermarket tint. Cause on the Explorer of the seas the balconies and stuff don't have the green.

Jonathan

I don't' think it's aftermarket. The glass is manufactured that way. It would be way too much upkeep if it were a film. It would be peeling everywhere and the RCI ships are covered with green glass from head to toe. You would also be able to see seems where the film was not fitted exactly. I've never seen that on a RCI ship nor have I seen peeling on any of the windows.

Balconies probably have clear glass so there is nothing distorting your view of the ocean. It's also not necessary to reflect heat on the balconies which is probably a reason for the green glass on the major windows. It no doubt saves RCI on a/c costs. I notice Princess has blue tint glass and Carnival uses a lot of dark (almost black) looking glass.

I remember on the NORWAY the glass on the interior promenade was covered with a mirrored film. It would reflect the sun to help keep it cooler in side. From the exterior it looked pretty cool, but once it got old and started peeling it really looked like crap.

Ernie

cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 06-02-2005 11:37 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if your interested in following Enchantment's lengthening you can take a look at http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl/cruiseschepen/verlench13.html (this was the link that was posted somewhere back on the 1st page) but on this site there are sonme links to pages that show EOS litterally joined together...and showing close ups of the *suspension bridge glass* which proves that it is covered in a paper to protect it. and the bunjee upright rods are inplace over the windjammer.

cruiseshipluver

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 06-03-2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last photo on this page shows it quite clearly, too.
Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 06-03-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK this will probably sound like another stupid question but isn't meant to be - on the whole topic of ship stretching - I happen to think that every ship that has ever been stretched has emerged looking better. What do you all think?
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 06-03-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The bridge/arch window looks goofy. It isnt as high as the other windows, well it is higher but there is a bog gap that makes it look odd.

Jonathan

[ 06-03-2005: Message edited by: cruisintoday14 ]

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-03-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
OK this will probably sound like another stupid question but isn't meant to be - on the whole topic of ship stretching - I happen to think that every ship that has ever been stretched has emerged looking better. What do you all think?

I agree.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-03-2005 03:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
I happen to think that every ship that has ever been stretched has emerged looking better. What do you all think?

They certainly all look longer.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-03-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well no I don't think that all ships that have been stretched have come out looking better. I think the Homeric / Westerdam had a better profile pre-stretch. And I think the Dreamward / Windward were better looking than the resultant Norwegian Dream and Wind. I think the original RCCL twins looked better stretched, and so did the RVL trio. I also think the Norwegian Majesty looks better post-stretch. I am somewhat ambavilant on the Berlin but think her proportions might have been better pre-stretch. I am not sure I will like the look of the Enchanment better, but will with hold judgement till I see her finished.

Homeric - pre-stretch

As Costa Europa - post-stretch

Windward - pre-stretch

Norwegian Wind - post-stretch

This next is in my opinion the best of the stretch jobs

Song of Norway - pre-stretch

Song of Norway - post-stretch

And I like this one too

Norwegian Majesty - pre-stretch

Norwegian Majesty - post-stretch

So in my mind some stretches have improved the ships appearance, some have hurt it.

Thad

[ 06-03-2005: Message edited by: Thad ]

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 06-03-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thad, I agree with you ton all the ships you mentioned except for NORWEGIAN DREAM/WIND. I think they look more sleek post-stretch, not that they didn't look good to begin with...

[ 06-03-2005: Message edited by: Keitaro ]

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.